Seat...?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seat...??

Just went out of the city first time , to see how it behaves on a Hwy.... After 60min. Got a headache ( wind noise) and I realized I will need a better seat .... What would you recommend for comfort - for someone who only rode Touring bikes for years ....??? Corbin?? There was another name mention somewhere here ...????
Thank you,
W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Just went out of the city first time , to see how it behaves on a Hwy.... After 60min. Got a headache ( wind noise) and I realized I will need a better seat .... What would you recommend for comfort - for someone who only rode Touring bikes for years ....??? Corbin?? There was another name mention somewhere here ...????
Thank you,
W.

Corbin on a Versys is a bad idea (They Suck)...

A great all around seat on the Versys is a Seat Concepts. Then if your doing really long rides look into the Russell Day-Long or Baldwin. I went through 7 seats on the V.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:47 PM

I like the seat, longest day 850 miles.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 PM

earplugs for the wind noise and Seat Concepts for the seat.

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Terry Adcock seat with an Air Hawk pad= Maximum comfort, for me anyways

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
Years ago I ordered a Corbin seat for my cruiser-it arrived as a unit that replaced the stock; The Seat Concept and Russell , provide the cover only ...?? Not sure what to do with that ....??? Remove the stock first ...???

Last edited by Watchful; 07-06-2014 at 11:34 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 PM

Baldwin fan here. It isn't cheap but it's a great seat.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 AM

There is mod posted here about raising the front by adding washers and a spacer to the front bracket. It worked for me and so saved me a bundle....found it, post 27 on the link below details the mod. Easy enough to try this before checking out other options.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=seat&page=2

Last edited by david3921; 07-07-2014 at 12:50 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 AM

Garage
Gave mine a little more support under the legs works for me just got back from an 8000 km ride

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
For solo riding, the terry Adcox seat is #1.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Unlike Weljo, I don't believe Corbin sucks. It works for me and has been comfortable for my backside for many miles.

Unfortunately, no one can tell you what will work for your backside, and that makes finding the "right" saddle very difficult. It's almost as difficult as finding the "right" bicycle saddle - and they can be almost expensive as some motorcycle saddles.

Not much help I realize, but there's no silver bullet when it comes to saddles. Ah, if I manufactured a saddle that worked for everyone I could call it "The Sliver Bullet."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-07-2014 at 08:37 AM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Getting comfortable on a Versys can be a challenge due to the seat size, if one is comparing to cruiser style bikes.

Mine has the Seat Concepts seat cover/foam. It's substantially more comfortable than the factory seat, and removes the forward slope of the seat. You can send your seat to them and they will install the cover for $20, and you pay shipping both ways. Or, find a local shop to do the work.

Be aware that this option will raise the seat height by at least an inch, maybe a fuzz more.

Wind noise. Yes. I complained about that until everyone said STFU.
I'm 5'9", 34" sleeve, 29" inseam. The wind noise off of the windscreen was horrible. In my case, I installed a Givi D410ST windscreen and it provides a 50% reduction in wind noise. If you're taller - then you're going to need a much larger windscreen.

P.S. I have a Corbin on an FJR1300 and a Super Tenere. They suck until you add an AirHawk seat cushion. Then they suck less.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all.
So, for the AirHawk, I just slide it over the stock ??
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I like the seat, longest day 850 miles.
Me too (but NOT quite 850 miles/ day!) - w/ the front raised 9/16".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Thank you all.
So, for the AirHawk, I just slide it over the stock ??
Yes. I (initially) did that. The problem is that the seat still had too much forward slant. It's possible to shim the seat and remove some of the forward slant, but it wasn't enough for me.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Over the past 6 + years, I have ridden with the stock seat, the Corbin (with and without an Airhawk on it), and the Seat Concepts. I like the Corbin the best.

Like others have said - the SC Seat makes you sit higher. I have found that I sit so much higher with the SC that I get even more wind noise, with turbulence hitting my helmet at about mid forehead. It lifts my head further into the air stream.

The Airhawk on the Corbin helps my rear end on long rides, but it also lifts my head farther into the turbulent air stream.

To keep from getting uncomfortable on long ride, I shift around on my bike frequently, and use both my added "highway pegs", and the passenger pegs, and even use combinations of all peg positions, with different right and left foot placements.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Remove the staples from the front portion of the stock cover. Starting back 6" from the front, cut the foam to get a comfortable fit for you. I actually removed "all" the foam after 6" to the passenger segment. Check comfort by pulling the cover in place, and just sit on it, to check that the contour is ok. Once done, re-staple the cover in place. Then, put an AirHawk R pad on top. This is a very comfortable solution, and can be adjusted for your height and your butt-contour.

I found this worked best for me after trying many, many different combinations.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Garage
And yet mine never had the forward slant people talk about. Like someone said above we are all different
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
And yet mine never had the forward slant people talk about. Like someone said above we are all different
So, YOU are THAT guy, the one guy that the seat was designed for !!!

(just kidding)
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Lots of suggestions & I'm in agreement with most; the stock seat sux! So here's one more...I went with a Sargent seat. It has a wider platform & I'm not being jammed into the tank. I got the optional red piping that matches the bike's color; looks great & very comfy. It's a bit pricey, but worth it for me.

Also installed the givi screen, which really works well. The airflow now hits the top of my helmet (I'm 5' 10"), just above the face screen. At most speeds, I could ride with the face screen up & not be bothered.

Pongo
~Not all who wander are lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode