Be careful out there guys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Be careful out there guys

Watch out for gravel on the road, and wear all of your gear, all of the time. That includes protective boots.

Fractured left fibula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How did you manage to break that? How's the Versys? When can you ride again?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

I went down when I hit a patch of gravel and my leg got smashed between the Versys and the asphalt. The foot-stay snapped in half, shift lever bent, and the cowling was a little scratched. I picked it up and walked it home, thinking my ankle was just sprained. I fixed the Versys and was actually out riding it again, and working (I'm a nurse, so I work on my feet for 12 hours at a time).

Well, the pain in my leg kept getting worse, so I figured I'd visit the ER downstairs one day after my shift was over. They took an X-ray, and when it developed, I realized it was more than just a sprained ankle.

So, I'm off the Versys for now, and on crutches until the orthopedic doc says I can resume normal activity.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow... It looks cracked instead of broken, so I guess it was still stable. It should heal pretty quick and straight. Drink lotsa milk.

Last edited by invader; 07-01-2008 at 05:38 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Greg,
I did the exact same thing about two and half weeks ago. Caught gravel on a low speed downhill left hand turn. The bike kicked out and I went down. Broke the foot peg off, scratched up the cowl, a couple of other scuffs and I ended up with a artery severed in my leg from where the peg broke skin in my leg open, I tried to save the fall. I am still waiting to get my Versys back because a piece needed to repair is supposively on back order.

Stay safe man.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM

would some frame sliders have had helped?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 AM

I learned the boot lesson the hard way on the track when some clown crashed into me and broke my tibia/fibula. Now, I ALWAYS were my Oxtar TCS boots. They are awesome! I think they changed their name though.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Greg, sorry to hear the news. Hope you heal soon.

Be careful out there guys and gals, the stock tires are hard and slippery, doesn't take much to unsettle them.

I head out for Oregon in 3 hours, but packing 2up on the beemer, will be heads up and try to be safe for sure!

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM

I'm thinking of nixing these tires real soon - had a bit of a weird moment on the expressway today. Had the bike leaned over in a sweeping curve - came in a bit fast. But, nothing I couldn't handle and did what I always do, just leaned it some more. Then I felt the bike begin to slide and I was going wide. I didn't panic - just carefully slowed it down and brought the bike back up. I did cross the white line a bit and luckilly no one was next to me. I'll see if I can get the Metzler RoadTec Z6 for this bike. I put them on my BMW and those were good long lasting tires that I felt confident with.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Greg, sure glad you came out "ok" considering. Like you reminded us of, I wear all the gear and don't care much of the effort or comments from people. Bottom line is we answer to the pain, not them.

I have Hepco and Becker 40 liter hard bags. Once on my other bike I got rear ended and I couldn't get control of the bike before it fell on the left side with me on it. If it was not for the left bag, the bike would have fell on my left leg. Now I see hard bags not only as a place to store all my travel gear, but leg protection too.

Please heal up and thanks for sharing your story. You're in our prayers.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Well I did it again. Managed to drop a bike while NOT moving. This time it was the height that f'ed me. I was on a sidewalk but close to the curb (right side). When to put my right leg down.... and felt nothing but air. Away it went... on top of me. Bent the right brake lever, scratched the back of the right mirror and the gas tank (belt buckle).

I should have just given it gas and jumped the curb instead of trying to muscle the bike into place. Hey.. the engine cut off worked :-)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Then I felt the bike begin to slide and I was going wide. I didn't panic - just carefully slowed it down and brought the bike back up. I did cross the white line a bit and luckilly no one was next to me.
Same thing happened to me on Saturday. I was leaned right but the bike started to slide left (steep turn). I was the only one on the road so had to cross the lane in order to regain control (like you.. slowed down and leaned some more).
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM

All the best to you for a speedy recovery!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_guy View Post

Be careful out there guys and gals, the stock tires are hard and slippery, doesn't take much to unsettle them.
I have to disagree. I was ripping pretty hard on these tires this past weekend with no issues. Not saying nothing could happen but I just think you can create tire issues in your head if you focus on that. These tires were plenty sticky for moderate to brisk pace mountain twisty riding. If your going for legend status though you may need to upgrade. That being said, speedy recovery.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 AM

Hope you get well soon. I don't like the stock tires much either... they really bother me on gravel roads, but after reading this and seeing a dirtbike take a spill yesterday, it's got me thinking of finding new tires. A confidence builder, if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_guy View Post

I head out for Oregon in 3 hours, but packing 2up on the beemer, will be heads up and try to be safe for sure!
Where you gonna be out here in God's country?

Last edited by nvoelsch; 07-02-2008 at 01:26 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
I have to disagree. I was ripping pretty hard on these tires this past weekend with no issues. Not saying nothing could happen but I just think you can create tire issues in your head if you focus on that. These tires were plenty sticky for moderate to brisk pace mountain twisty riding. If your going for legend status though you may need to upgrade. That being said, speedy recovery.
How new is your bike? I found the tires Ok when I first bought the bike but after 3000 kilometers the tires are getting steadilly worse. I had the same problem with a pair of Michelin Pilot Sports that came with my BMW and it only had 2600 kilometers when I bought the bike. Some tires just wear out faster than others. I put a pair of Metzlers on that BMW and road it up to 20k kilometers and didn't have any of the slide outs like I did with the Michelins.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
X2, I'm down to 1/4" of chicken strip left and I don't think I've ever felt the bike slip. Period. I had Metzler's on my FZ1 and that bad boy's rear end came around all the time (completely different animal that bike, especially geared way down).

I'll be the first to chime in if they start to wear out early. I read a while back that motorcycle street tires are designed to withstand a certain number of "heat cycles". Every time you ride you bike and the tires heat up something about their chemical compound changes a tiny little bit, that's why you never want to do a burn out on a tire you intend to keep. I guess if you made a lot of quick trips, just long enough to warm up the tires they could possibly wear out faster than if you rode across country non stop.... Just thinking out loud, I've been really impressed with the tires so far (700 miles).

Get well soon guys (and girls?), ride safe!

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode