Buying a high mileage bike. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buying a high mileage bike.

How many miles are too many, when considering buying a used Versys?
There's one near me that has over 50,000.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Depends on the Price....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM

How was it maintained? How was it stored? Was it ridden like a cheap whore or was it cared for? You can get a relatively unridden 08 or 09 for $3500 or so. Let that be your guide.

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM

If the price is right and it's in good condition 50,000 isn't really high mileage for a Versys assuming it's had the proper care.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=60097

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure of how well it was cared for, that's the problem.
I hope one in the $3500 range shows up somewhere near me.
Thanks
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:46 PM

You don't say where you're located but generally most major cities have several low mileage Versys for sale (via sites like Craigslist) at very, very good prices. Seems to me, unless the 50,000 mile Versys is practically a "give away," why go that route?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got an "09 last summer with under 5,200 miles for $4,100 and had access to a couple of other within 100 with asking prices of $4,500 to $5,000. Some of the guys have put on major milage.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately for me, there haven't been any low mileage bikes in my area (Tucson), for under $4000. I will just have to be patient.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberger52 View Post
Thoughts?
My AZ '08 has 51,xxx miles. I will NOT hesitate to ride this bike ANYWHERE!

My BC '09 has 45,xxx kms. I do NOT hesitate to ride this bike ANYWHERE!

Once they get PAST 100,000 miles, I'll probably buy each one an ice cream cone....

They've both been properly maintained (by ME!). BOTH are on their original sets of cables & brake pads, the AZ one is on the ORIGINAL chain (only WD40 ever used on it - and I ride desert roads...), while I had to change the '09s chain at around 40,xxx kms (27,900 miles), I believe because it was a 'left-over' (that I bought in Nov '10) and had been left outside in the monsoons and dust storms. I changed the chain on my return from Alaska last July, from D2D 2013.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 PM

Mine is pushing 42k now. These little twins will run for ever with valve checks and fresh oil.
I wouldnt be worried.

Depends on the area you are living in. In the Washington DC area I have mine posted for $4100 with 42k miles. Then again there are a TON of farkles on mine...

You can usually tell within 30 seconds if a bike has been taken care of or not. Chains are a good place to start looking at, as well as the manufacture date on the tires.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 06-30-2014 at 04:35 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM

I know this doesn't answer the original question, but I got my 2009 for $3800 w/ 8000 miles, new tires, and full set of soft bags in small town, east Texas. I'm sure you can find a low mileage bike for @ $4000. Just be patient (tho' I know that's hard when you're wanting to own a Versys)!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Depending on how you are planning to use the bike, how much cash you have available, and whether you do you own maintenance and repairs can factor into whether you should buy it or not.

If it was priced right and you weren't planning on cross country trips on it, etc. It might be worth purchasing.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Good advice above.

But be warned, once you get one you are likely to start cranking up the milage. So better to get one with a good amount of life left in it.

Get a buddy to drive you to one if you have to!

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If the seller will let you, take it for a test ride to a reputable local shop and see if they will give it a once over. But as stated before, proper maintenance ie. valve adjustments, O/F changes, and such are the keys to a high mileage bike. Depends on your budget and the seller's willingness to divulge information and proof of work done...

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT100 View Post
Good advice above.

But be warned, once you get one you are likely to start cranking up the milage. So better to get one with a good amount of life left in it.

Get a buddy to drive you to one if you have to!
Having owned more than 60 motorcycles..... cannot accurately describe my (first) Versys... other than I really like to ride it. And ride it. And ride it.

Did I mention that I like to ride it?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Thoughts?
I expect the market for that bike isn't huge and the price will be decent. If it's in good shape and it seems like a good deal (compared for example to the lower mileage models on the market), why not?

Mine is at 48k miles. I had been thinking of replacing it after it hit 50k. We'll see. I still like it. Compression is still good.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Bought the bike.

Hey, in case anyone wonders, I took the 2009 Versys with 54000 miles to a mechanic, and he said it was in great shape, so I bought it. Wish me luck!
(It's an awesome bike, I hope it lasts a few years.

Thanks for all your input.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey, in case anyone wonders, I took the 2009 Versys with 54000 miles to a mechanic, and he said it was in great shape, so I bought it. Wish me luck!

Glad to help. At that price (or whatever the negotiated final price) you aren't too much into it either. Be sure and take some pics when you get it all cleaned up.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm wishing you...... but I DON'T think you'll really need it...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 PM

I'm getting close to 60K on my bike and it's as reliable as it was the first day I bought it. The only regular maintenance I do now is change the oil, replace the chain, and replace the tires. I also have my valves checked once per year but they've never needed to be adjusted. I doubt my bike is worth a dime since it has so many miles, so I've just opted to keep it and maintain it.

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode