Keep on keeing on . . . - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Keep on keeing on . . .

Hello All,
The Versys was my first motorcycle. I love it. I knew it was the bike for me when I walked in the door of my local dealer and saw it. So, far I have changed oil, tires, and chains and rings, some spray lube to boot. I did add a Corbin seat and Givi cases. I run Mobil 1 10-40 regular oil not motorcycle oil. Changed the original bearings to Allballs bearings for the wheels. All this and I am at 93,500 miles. This bike just keeps on rolling. I’ll add a pic of the odometer if y’all like.

Good luck and God bless ya'll.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Awesome! Good to hear!
Still have the OEM charging system? (stator, etc...)

I ask because I have about 53K on mine and I bought the extended warranty when I bought the bike...have about 15 months left on it, and I am hoping if that (charging system) is going to go, I want it to go fairly soon! That is, quite honestly, the only component I am even slightly worried about...
Just for reference, at what mileage did you do the wheel bearings? Any particular reason? Preventative maintenance or...?

Personally, I don't really care about a pic, but I wouldn't mind seeing one once you hit 100K--that's the REAL milestone!
I have never seen a 100K odo pic on this site before....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM

That's awesome! Have you not done any valve work to it? I'm not even sure what the recommended valve intervals are.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, there is a little bit more I forgot about.

I did change the valve springs at around 60K miles and the wheel bearings around 45K miles. The stator was changed also somewhere between 50 and 60 K miles. Valve springs were a bit of work but totally doable at home if you have the tools. I had to drop the engine on mine because some Good Intentioned Citizen brought it on themselves to bugger my left sided dead bolts. Was a little more work, but I got it done. Um, shims I change when they sound funny and clatter. Feel free to ask about anything else I missed. Oh, fork oil! Usually every spring. Use the recommended oil from Honda. Good stuff.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by angst; 06-27-2014 at 07:37 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Eh, I'm just getting started with my Versys.

It's motorcycle number(maybe) 60.

We typically ride 30K miles+ each year, But don't keep them that long. When they get up around 50,000 miles then we get rid of them.

For us, it's a reliability issue. Maybe just peace of mind when heading out for a road trip that could be a couple thousand miles.

Although, we have run a Gold Wing and one Harley past 100,000 miles.

Nice to hear that you have 93K on yours, and thank-you for the post !
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Pic

Here is a pic of my odometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mileage.jpg (33.2 KB, 121 views)

Cheers!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Let me get this straight. You've replaced valve springs and piston rings? That's not really low maintenance considering there are cars that can go 100,000 miles on the OEM sparkplugs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

No piston rings. Just valvesprings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Let me get this straight. You've replaced valve springs and piston rings? That's not really low maintenance considering there are cars that can go 100,000 miles on the OEM sparkplugs.
True, cars have four or more cylinders and typically run at considerably lower RPM. I do a lot of highway at highway speeds. It was not overly difficult. If you pile on some mileage you will find things that need to get replaced too.

Cheers,

Ride far, ride safe, God Bless.

Cheers!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Cool! I go back and forth on whether to keep running the Versys or trading it in on a 2014, or trying something else. I will probably wait and see that all the 2015 models are. Nice to know I can go another few years if I want to though.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
True, cars have four or more cylinders and typically run at considerably lower RPM. I do a lot of highway at highway speeds. It was not overly difficult. If you pile on some mileage you will find things that need to get replaced too.

Cheers,

Ride far, ride safe, God Bless.
100,000 miles for a set of rings is not impressive for a motorcycle engine. I know several super sports, 600cc inline 4, with more than 100,000 miles still on the original piston rings.

For comparison, the V-Strom engines are known to be able to go 100,000 miles on their original rings, if anything gives up that could be the valve guides.

There are other members on this website with high mileage Versys and they haven't had replaced any engine internals.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Get a KLR....last & last & last I know of 2 with over 100,000 still running. I have over 32,000 on my 2009 and no problems other than a short in a wire.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Maybe . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Get a KLR....last & last & last I know of 2 with over 100,000 still running. I have over 32,000 on my 2009 and no problems other than a short in a wire.
It would be fun to have a duel sport. Maybe when they move to fuel injection.

My V is running fine and fixed now.

Cheers!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Put another oil change on my belt.

108000, still runs very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108.jpg (48.1 KB, 51 views)

Cheers!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
108000, still runs very well.
Wow, that is a lot of miles! I hope mine makes it that far without having to tear the engine out though.

I have about 5000 miles on mine so I am slowly getting there! =-)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
nice to see i think i just passed 36K on mine >.> tho i also STILL dont have an endorsement so its not surprising i dont rack up tons of miles

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Dayum...I hope they get that kind of mileage out of the 2015, which I'm about to start negotiations for!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Just an FYI.

I noticed my horn is having trouble at idle. May have to replace the stator again soon.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode