What tires are you using? How long do they last... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

What tires are you using? How long do they last...

Hi All,

I was just wondering what other street tires everyone else is using and how long do they last...

I worn out the factory Dunlop D221 in 4200 miles and currently have BT003RS, currently have 5400 on the bike... Looks like BT003RS have worn out about 1/3 or so... Just eye balling, I don't have any kind of gauge or anything...

I am looking for reasonable sticky tires that will hopefully last over 5000-8000 miles...

Thanks All.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Hi All,

I was just wondering what other street tires everyone else is using and how long do they last...

I worn out the factory Dunlop D221 in 4200 miles and currently have BT003RS, currently have 5400 on the bike... Looks like BT003RS have worn out about 1/3 or so... Just eye balling, I don't have any kind of gauge or anything...

I am looking for reasonable sticky tires that will hopefully last over 5000-8000 miles...

Thanks All.
Try Pilot Power 2CT. They last very long. My second set was Pilot Power 2CT. After 13000km they worn 50% only... still lots of miles to go. Only punctures had them changed. I use 225kpa front / 250kpa rear tire pressure.

Now changed to BT003RS. I feel that they are more sticky than Pilot Power 2CT. But I don't quite like the profile. When you lean, it makes your bike turn in for you. It's more stable than 2CT at straight, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 AM

After the factory Dunlop, I wanted to change to Metzeler Z6 Interact (I read they last very very long with very regular performances), but I didn't find them , so I bought Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. They are very stable and comfortable, I rode 11000km and they are like new. Great performance and great feeling in all conditions .

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

10,000 miles on the STOCK Dunlops so far!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 AM

tyre wear/life is a very personal thing, depends on how you ride, where you ride, how you brake/accelerate. so some people may report over 10K miles on one make, and the same tyre ridden by someone else may struggle to get to 6k. Im not saying you cannot get high mileage, just don't rely on others reports and you expect to get the same mileage

FWIW I repalced my OEM's with Dunlop roadsmarts around 6K, replaced the rear roadsmart at 6.5K with a Bridgestone front roadsamrt still going strong at 9K. put on a Bridgestone after reccommendation on their longevity on a Vee. its early days, but we will see.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Hi LAVersys,

I think there is a compromise between grip and mileage.

Still using my front BT016 and rear RT021 rear.
Rear still looks pretty decent now after 11,000 km.
BT016 grips very well in the now wet days over here.

Have posted this preferred tyre poll in the Malaysia V forum but only 14 bikers posted their choices:Many still had the stock Dunlop on.

Michelin Pilot Road 2 [] (4 votes, 28.5%)
Bridgestone BT 020 [] (2 votes, 14.2%)
Metzeler Roadtec Z6 [] (0 votes, 0%)
Continental Road Attack [] (0 votes, 0%)
Bridgestone BT 021 [] (6 votes, 42.8%)
Pirelli Diablo Strada [] (0 votes, 0%)
Bridgestone BT 016 [] (1 vote, 7.1%)
Dunlop D220 ST [] (1 vote, 7.1%)

As for the weather here , it either wet or dry. Mileage is pretty subjective as how one's ride. Regardless, working tyre pressures are important.
Using my front/rear 31/35 psi.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

There is little difference between Bridgestone and Mich. I went for BT 106 both front and back. took off the stock tyres as I was not confortable with it in wet. Bt 106 stick like rail and its pretty soft compond. Mileage not a problem to me as safety is prime concern. Here its dual weather-wet dry on the same day or hour.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry guys, It,s BT 016 and not 106. my mistake

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 PM

I have about 2500 miles on the front Pilot Power 2 CT and the rear BT021 with no noticeable problems.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 AM

Garage
Michelin Anakee?

Has anybody used the Michelin Anakee?

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...102229&lang=EN

The blurb on the site says "The Michelin Anakee is the ideal companion for big-bore adventure touring bikes. With its large tread blocks, the Anakee exhibits extraordinary road manners thanks to its silica-charged tread compound and reinforced carcass construction. Its stability and control on dirt roads is just as impressive. With the Anakee, Michelin has pushed back the horizon for adventurers." And it gives it a top rating for Urban use.

I hope to use the Versys for a combination of commuting and exploring the road less travelled, including dirt roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michelin Anakee.jpg (12.3 KB, 137 views)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 AM

Got the Mich Pilot Road 2ct. Awesome friggin tyre stick like glue and seems to wear pretty well got about 4000 miles on them and no evidence of wear at all
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Has anybody used the Michelin Anakee?

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...102229&lang=EN

The blurb on the site says "The Michelin Anakee is the ideal companion for big-bore adventure touring bikes. With its large tread blocks, the Anakee exhibits extraordinary road manners thanks to its silica-charged tread compound and reinforced carcass construction. Its stability and control on dirt roads is just as impressive. With the Anakee, Michelin has pushed back the horizon for adventurers." And it gives it a top rating for Urban use.

I hope to use the Versys for a combination of commuting and exploring the road less travelled, including dirt roads.
I used them on my Aprilia Pegaso: the right compromise for all terrain rides. Good grip on dirty trails and on asphalt.
Warning: the size for our bike not exist: Michelin builds only 19" and 21" front tyre (we have 17") and largest rear Anakee is 150 and Versys wants 160...

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM

I'm on my 4th set, stock flops, Conti Road Attacks, Michelin Road Power and now Dunlop Road Smarts.

They all lasted about the same around 5-6k, all about the same in the wet. Only thing I've noticed about the RS's seems to be a slightly harsher ride. But that maybe my imagination.

I'd like to get some Anakee's next time, but you have to put a rear tire on the front, they don't make a 'real' front for the V size wheel. This means you have to move the front mudguard up to accommodate the size. Unless they just brought a new size out?

One of our flock, Gary, is taking his V to Terra Del Fuego and got 13k miles out of his rear Anakee, that's impressive he beats the crap out his bike his tires and himself-GO Gary.

Machog

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 AM

Garage
Re the Michelin Annake

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyduck1 View Post
I used them on my Aprilia Pegaso: the right compromise for all terrain rides. Good grip on dirty trails and on asphalt.
Warning: the size for our bike not exist: Michelin builds only 19" and 21" front tyre (we have 17") and largest rear Anakee is 150 and Versys wants 160...

Bye
Sorry. As I went to sleep last night, after making this post and downing the PC, I realised I hadn't checked the availability of 120/70x17 & 160/60x17.

The 150/70x17 rear is 2.9% larger circumference than stock, which I guess is acceptable, but is the 10 mm / 0.4" narrower a problem?

I think that using a 120/90x17 - 8% larger circumference, designed as a rear tire and not a radial would be a problem, so I will keep looking for a different front tire.

Is there a problem mixing different brands front & rear?

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I'm on my 4th set, stock flops, Conti Road Attacks, Michelin Road Power and now Dunlop Road Smarts.

They all lasted about the same around 5-6k, all about the same in the wet. Only thing I've noticed about the RS's seems to be a slightly harsher ride. But that maybe my imagination.

I'd like to get some Anakee's next time, but you have to put a rear tire on the front, they don't make a 'real' front for the V size wheel. This means you have to move the front mudguard up to accommodate the size. Unless they just brought a new size out?

One of our flock, Gary, is taking his V to Terra Del Fuego and got 13k miles out of his rear Anakee, that's impressive he beats the crap out his bike his tires and himself-GO Gary.

Machog
John,
I'm running Tourance's not Anakee's, that said, I've had great luck with Anakee's. I'm kicked back today, repacking my gear, heading in to Peru tomorrow, meeting another friend in Lima on December 2, then south to TDF.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 PM

OEM D221 - 4K miles (but the rear was well past the wear bars. This was on a road trip and I made it last until I found a replacement in Cedar City, UT. Had I been at home, it would have been off the bike before the 3500 mile mark). Replaced with a Dunlop Qualifier which only lasted 1800 miles. The Pirelli Scorpion Sync that replaced the Qualifier were still looking good at 4K, but I was going on another longish trip and they didn't look good enough for another 1200-1500 miles, so I replaced them with a set of Dunlop RoadSmarts. The RoadSmarts are at ~3K and still looking good. They may even make it to 5K...

Gustavo

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 AM

Got 18,000 miles on my rear RoadSmart. It was just starting to wear into the wear marks.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:52 AM

18000 miles! Holly crap that my next tire then.

I've got almost 10000 on the stockers and they have been fine.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Got 18,000 miles on my rear RoadSmart. It was just starting to wear into the wear marks.
Pretty good mileage. Would you mind sharing the tyre pressure?

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Just changed out my original rear for a Dunlop RoadSmart, at 10,008 miles. I figure I MIGHT have got another 1,000 miles out of the OEM if I'd tried, but there're a couple of dirt roads I want to try before winter hits and it goes down to ONLY 60F during the day....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode