Versys wreck, newbie questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Versys wreck, newbie questions

Hate to open on such a bad note, but them's the breaks I suppose.

So last week I was involved in an accident with my V after a taxi cab turned in front of me. I don't really recall any of what happened, but long story short, I've got a smashed up V in the garage and my liability only insurance isn't going to help me fix it.

Basically I'm wondering how/if I should go about getting her fixed. I realize taking it to a shop and getting a quote is going to be essential, but seeing how everything is out of pocket on my part, I just figured I'd see if anyone could maybe give me a ballpark figure as to how much I should bank on spending

I realize it's impossible to say if there's frame/fork damage from the pics, but I'll obviously need new plastics and some repairs to the tanks. If anyone on the boards has a rough figure on the price of the body parts/handlebars and whatnot it would be much appreciated.

Failing that, anyone have any recommendatons for how/where to sell a scrap bike?

Sorry if this is all really basic, this is my first wreck ever and I'm kind of clueless with what I'm supposed to do. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM

If the frame and forks are OK then that isn't such a bad fix.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....KawasakiMC.asp

Just from a quick look it looks like you'll be out at least $500 for the left and right fairing, headlight, and some aftermarket handlebars.

You could go cheaper and score a tank from a ninja 650R on ebay and rig up some kind of buell or SV650 headlight assembly or something.

Anyway, if it was mine I'd probably try and fix it but you'll need to check the frame and forks and I'm not sure what the best way to do that is.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Why isn't the taxi cab's insurance paying for the repair?

Maybe you have Progressive Insurance like I used to have on my cage vehicles. They found my wife at fault in an accident while the court found her not guilty. They raised the rates anyway. Never again, Progressive.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Is that the new Transformers Versys???

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 PM

If the frame/forks are ok, I would recommend fixing rather than scraping for sure.
As far as prices, you could go all back to OEM but it would be pricey. Or you can just get the oem essentials and aftermarket the rest, such as handlebars... headlight... windshield... mirrors... etc.
that's your chance to farkle her up your way, and spend less. better than new for cheaper.

for oem parts I use bikebandit.com
fair prices, good service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodes973 View Post

Maybe you have Progressive Insurance like I used to have on my cage vehicles. They found my wife at fault in an accident while the court found her not guilty. They raised the rates anyway. Never again, Progressive.
I agree here if the taxi turned in front of you and caused the accident and there at fault then there liable and there insurance should cover. Hope you came out in better shape than the bike.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodes973 View Post

Hit the nail on the head here. My Progressive agent seems to have already given up, so I'm off to see a lawyer on monday.

Thanks for the tips/links, I'm glad the fairings/tank are reasonably priced and I won't have to OEM everything. Might go naked to save a few bucks
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:14 AM

not sure what you mean "scrap it"? - part it out? but unlikely you've done the forks, seems the headlight area took the impact. Have a good look around the frame/headstock area for signs of paint flaking slighty, indicating bending/cracks. You can get it to shop with a jig that can check straightness if anxious?, there DIY ways to check straightness of forks/wheels but overall, think you've got way with it.

I'd run it without panels till some come up cheap, ditto the tank, but panels are £130 odd each new. Headlight is prob £200'ish? Tank must be wrong side of £300? but keep an eye on ebay, bars are cheap etc. Probabaly £5-600 or less depending what you can score off the bay? Easy worthwhile repair

Last edited by 4731; 11-22-2009 at 03:21 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:14 AM

mtgrimm,
Key point is that you are OK! I'm very glad to see that. The V can most likely be repaired,
I have had a few bikes over the years that looked a lot worse and in a few weeks were back on the road. (I never had anything other than liability myself) These photo's make everything look superficial and you are in the right place for help on this project.
Start with a good lawyer and go from there. Good luck, keep us in the loop.
Steve
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 AM

Glad your OK. Did you get a police report stay that the cab was at fault? I doubt the cab company is going to admit any responsibility. Unfortunately you are going to have to get an attorney. When I was rearended the gas tank was the expensive part of the repair ($500+). Check Ebay and other auction sites. You might be able to get some of your parts there.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM

there is a guy parting one out on Eaby right now ...

here is the Ebay seller has a tank for 50.00 and bunch o other parts Speedometer and tach for 99.00 may have some other stuff you need too.

http://stores.ebay.com/A-TAMPA-CHOP-...&submit=Search

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 PM

May just be an optical illusion, but it looks to me like the forks might be bent back a little.
+1 on making the taxi company/driver pay for proper damage assessment and repair.
Good Luck.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM

"my liability only insurance isn't going to help me fix it"

Why? Why only liability? This confuses me big time. If we have the money to buy a bike, why wouldn't you pay for full coverage? I'm really just curious, not trying to be a jerk, I just can't understand this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM
FJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I agree here if the taxi turned in front of you and caused the accident and there at fault then there liable and there insurance should cover. Hope you came out in better shape than the bike.
+1, agree totally; make them pay and/or get an attorney to resolve in your favor.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrimm View Post
So last week I was involved in an accident with my V after a taxi cab turned in front of me. I don't really recall any of what happened, but long story short, I've got a smashed up V in the garage and my liability only insurance isn't going to help me fix it.

Of course not, but if the taxi turned in front of you (classic - "I didn't see the motorcycle" accident) he is liable. Did you get the taxi driver information (name, address, company he works for, DL #, cab number, insurance company, etc.)? Was the police called to the scene of the accident? Did they issue any citations?

Since you have liability only, Progressive has no interest in the matter. You have to file a claim with the taxi driver (or company's) insurance directly. You don't have to have a lawyer, but it can only help. If he was at fault, they should reimburse you for everything - medical expenses, gear and , of course, damage to the bike. Did you go to the doctor or hospital after the accident? Make sure you keep all the receipts.

mcampana - Buying insurance is a financial decision (other than mandatory liability). You figure out the cost to insure the bike over X years for collision and theft vs. what the probabilities are that you'll need it vs. your ability to cover the loss on your own if it's needed. For example - my d/s bikes never have collision coverage. It's more than likely that I'll damage it falling off while riding off road, if I claimed every single drop on a rock I wouldn't be able to insure anything I own.

mtgrim - Now I have to ask - how did you crash the bike that all the damage is on the upper part and there isn't a scratch on the bottom?

Gustavo

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
"my liability only insurance isn't going to help me fix it"

Why? Why only liability? This confuses me big time. If we have the money to buy a bike, why wouldn't you pay for full coverage? I'm really just curious, not trying to be a jerk, I just can't understand this.
If you can afford it, it is generally cheaper to "self-insure" in the long run.
I have full coverage on the Versys just because if I manage to total the bike or there is a hit and run I can't afford to buy a new one out of pocket.
A year or two from now I will probably drop back down to liability only once my spare cash is such that I could turn around and buy a new bike if the worst happens.

I have health insurance for the same reason, if the worst happens my bank account won't take care of it.

However, I don't buy insurance on things like tires, electronics, etc because I can just pocket that money instead and come out ahead in the long run.
Sure I may have to buy a new TV when mine craps out after 13 months, but if I've put all the money I would have spent insuring all this piddly crap into a savings account instead, I can just go out and buy one with no paperwork or hassle.

Hope this makes sense, im not the world's best splainer but I am fairly sharp with my dough.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Glad your okay!!
Taxi def. at fault, a good lawyer with just a couple of nasty letters will usally end in an out of court settlement!
Good luck and keep us informed.
Def. rebuild, she would want you to!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM

If you are handy I'd go this direction and do most of the mods myself. These bikes look great!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=tank+covers
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 PM

I was wondering the same thing about upper half damage...My guess was the ultimate stoppie...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

@ Gustavo

Thanks for the tips, I hired a lawyer a week or two ago and am making sure to hold onto all my hospital receipts. I was in the ER for 14 hours so there's definitely some sizable medical bills to deal with.

As to the liability only question it was mostly a matter of me covering costs out of pocket and trying to keep everything as cheap as possible on my part. Obviously a poor decision in retrospect, but as a young man I feel I'm entitled to a few of those

Anyway, I'm almost fully recovered and have also learned the hard way to never ride in jeans again.

Thanks for all the advice/links to parts etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode