"M" endorsement needed to take delivery? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"M" endorsement needed to take delivery?

Can anyone tell me-do I have to have my motorcycle license ("M" endorsement here in Texas) in order to take delivery of a new motorcycle from a dealership? I noticed on another thread somebody in another state mentioning they had to wait to pick their Versys up because they didn't have a motorcycle license. Is this true everywhere?

The last time I road and had a license was in California 25 years ago. I'm obviously going to get one here in Texas, but I can't take the class/test until 10 days from now and I'm supposed to pick up my bike on Thursday. They didn't mention anything at the dealership, and now I'm afraid to mention it to them.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:14 PM

It's not required in any State I ever lived in.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM

I vaguely recall that thread. I believe that gentleman was more concerned with just being stopped by the POE-LICE. I don't have my endorsement either, here in NC you can read over a quick book and take a test for your permit which is good for 18 months. To answer your question, no, you should not need an endorsement to take delivery, I would not be surprised if they asked for someone with at least a permit to drive it off the lot though.

This should help, you can print it off if you would like. It's the Texas Motorcycle Manual.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/dl-8.pdf

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.

Last edited by motorbum; 06-30-2008 at 04:41 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Not required in Texas. I bought my DRZ without a "M" in '05.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Be careful though, last time I was pulled over (1 month ago) I was told by the officer, that if I did not have a valid MC lic. or insurance I could not leave on the bike and it would be impounded. He then proceeded to tell me he had impounded as many as 7 in one day for one or the other infractions.

Todd
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM

An M license is not required to take delivery of your bike here in Texas. Just bought the Versys 2 weeks ago and took my classes this past Thursday and Friday.....Aced both the written and riding portions. I even rode my bike across Houston to the class both days.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM

I think the reference to needing a license might refer to needing the right credentials to legally ride off the lot. There was a clever little trick that DMV folks would pull (and probably still do) when taking the riding part of the motorcycle license test. Assuming one used one's own bike for the test, the tester would ask if you rode the bike to the facility. Answer "yes" and get a ticket for riding a motorcycle without a license. Fun!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't planning on riding it away from the dealership anyway as it's 50 miles from work. I am going to put it into the bed of my truck and unload it at home. It'll mostly sit in my garage until I'm "legal" (I might spin it around my subdivision a bit).

I just didn't want to drive out there and find out the hard way that I couldn't take possesion. That would be a major bummer!

Frankly, they are probably so tired of me calling him everyday asking if it arrived yet that they'll be glad to get rid of me and the bike....What can I say? I'm excited about my new 'V' !

Jeff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Boogdaddy - where are you getting your V from?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrappieKiller View Post
Boogdaddy - where are you getting your V from?
Greenville

Jeff
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 PM

Not required in Florida to take delivery. I didn't even have to have insurance. I told the dealer my Safety Course for the endorsement got pushed beyond the July 4th holiday week but I wanted to take advantage of the Kawasaki Go Green event ending today. Took my new toy home in my buddies trailer...now I'm stuck practicing in an empty parking lot until my class and endorsement are finished.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem1268 View Post
Not required in Florida to take delivery. I didn't even have to have insurance. I told the dealer my Safety Course for the endorsement got pushed beyond the July 4th holiday week but I wanted to take advantage of the Kawasaki Go Green event ending today. Took my new toy home in my buddies trailer...now I'm stuck practicing in an empty parking lot until my class and endorsement are finished.
I did find out late in the day today that there is a "permit" available in Texas. It allows you to ride with another 'M' licensed person as long as they stay within so many feet of you....and I think it's good for 180 days or so. You might check with your state to see if this might get you on the road sooner.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode