Missing 3 out of 4 header nuts !!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Missing 3 out of 4 header nuts !!!

Hi All,

Bought my 09 Versys in July 2009 and now it has over 5200 miles. I put on a Arrow exhaust when the bike has about 1000 miles on it, about a month after I bought the bike...

For the last 2 weeks, the bike sounds louder and louder, clinking noise almost like a Ducati... I look around on all the screws and nuts around the Arrow slip-on and they are fine.

That is until 3 days ago, I took a really good look and determine to find out where the sounds in coming from... I was shock to see that 3 of 4 nuts on the header are gone! The header is only hang out to the engine with the last nut!

I took it back to the dealer 2 days ago and the dealer were kind of shock to see that... And they put in some self locking nuts... Only 3 new nuts, they left the other one alone... Kind of strange, I would think they will replace all the nuts...

Anyway, clanking noise gone and just the sweet sound of Arrow exhaust...

Wondering if anyone else have this problems? Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:21 AM

You mean the problem of an inept dealer? Sure, probably most of the members here. Good reason to DIY.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is it the original header, or an Arrow header? Who installed it? Header should be installed with new crush (hollow) copper gaskets on the engine head, and the nuts torqued to 12 ft-lbs...
Did the dealer install metal or teflon (burns off) locking nuts?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is it the original header, or an Arrow header? Who installed it? Header should be installed with new crush (hollow) copper gaskets on the engine head, and the nuts torqued to 12 ft-lbs...
Did the dealer install metal or teflon (burns off) locking nuts?
Yes, it's the original header. I only have a Arrow slip on.

Dealer install the metal locking/nuts.

I don't know if they use any new crush copper gaskets... I don't think they did...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 AM

My '09 has 4200 miles, and every once in a while I have checked the torque on the header nuts, and everytime they turned a bit before reaching 12 ft-lbs. Checked again just now (1000 mi since last check), and only one turned a small amount, the others were solid. Either they keep loosening or I am in the progress of squashing the copper gaskets into oblivion. Hopefully the gasket is now pounded into submission and I won't have more problems, and hope I haven't created a header-to-head contact situation. If it's a matter of the copper gasket settling in, you will still need to re-torque even with the locking nuts. Make sure you use a good quality torque wrench!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyorider View Post
My '09 has 4200 miles, and every once in a while I have checked the torque on the header nuts, and everytime they turned a bit before reaching 12 ft-lbs. Checked again just now (1000 mi since last check), and only one turned a small amount, the others were solid. Either they keep loosening or I am in the progress of squashing the copper gaskets into oblivion. Hopefully the gasket is now pounded into submission and I won't have more problems, and hope I haven't created a header-to-head contact situation. If it's a matter of the copper gasket settling in, you will still need to re-torque even with the locking nuts. Make sure you use a good quality torque wrench!
Hi Wyorider,

I always check all nuts and screws when I have my oil change (myself), I never thought to check the header nuts... I guess I will from now on...

I was wondering... What other screws or nuts has been loose when you re torque them... Especially engine mount area...

Thanks!

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:51 PM

I've had a very slightly loose footpeg mount bracket bolt or two, but nothing else at all. Engine mounts have never come loose.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 02:30 AM

Haha ..you only have 1 nut ..........what??......... someone had to say it , glad you found the issue causing the Ducati noise , I own a Harley and it had the same problem , Imagine my surprise when I found a loose bolt on my Fatboy , crazy right , all I need now is to see a pig fly ...............

** This space for rent **
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
Haha ..you only have 1 nut ..........what??......... someone had to say it , glad you found the issue causing the Ducati noise , I own a Harley and it had the same problem , Imagine my surprise when I found a loose bolt on my Fatboy , crazy right , all I need now is to see a pig fly ...............
I got 4 nuts, lost 3, now I got 4 nuts again...

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
naz

wow i sure missed that thread....its a serious matter,did you bought the bike new or 2nd hand? very strange matter,never heard that before for a new bike especially japanese.
a friend of mine bought a new tiger and after about 22k km he realized that the engine nuts on the frame were loose

Last edited by naz; 06-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM

A buddy of mine had this happen to his CBR 1000. I check mine regularly along with motor mount bolts, caliper bolts, shock mounts and more. Check your nuts and bolts regularly people, especially with a parallel twin!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Bought the bike brand new in July 09.. When I install the Arrow exhaust, I never touch the header nuts...

Now I check it regularly, all 4 nuts still there...

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Got all 6 NUTS in order. 2 checked by local doctor and 4 checked by me on the V. All in working order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode