Helmet advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet advice

For many years I used open face helmet, since I only rode cruisers and touring bikes , with large wind shield.
after getting my first Versys, I decided to "dive" and get a fancy and expensive Shoei full face helmet....well, putting it on yesterday, I felt like I am definitely " Diving". Under water... : got a headache; couldn't hear a thing: couldn't breath....!!! I was very disappointed and sent it back .. I have learned that to buy helmets ( like shoes) you must try it first ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 PM

Shoei helmets are great but any helmet that gives you a headache is not worth owning. I suggest you go to a motorcycle shop and wear the helmet you want to purchase for 30 minutes while you are in the store, if it still feels good, buy it or order online. I have a collection of helmets that I've purchased in the past but never wear because I get a headache.

Jim

09 Kawasaki Versys - Green
07 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Black
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have an open face Bell I love, but wanted to go with more protection and decided on a modular. Was going to get the Shoei, but found that with the round shape, the large was too loose and the medium was too small. Ended up with the Nolan 104 large and am very pleased. Go try on a few others.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
+1 on the Nolan 104 Great Helmet ..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-2...SSyPVjUdRIRZdQ

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrissocal View Post
Shoei helmets are great but any helmet that gives you a headache is not worth owning. I suggest you go to a motorcycle shop and wear the helmet you want to purchase for 30 minutes while you are in the store, if it still feels good, buy it or order online. I have a collection of helmets that I've purchased in the past but never wear because I get a headache.
Good advice except for the "order online" part. If you HAVE to save a few bucks by ordering online, deal with the service they provide. This is a little bit of a pet peeve of mine, but how would you like it if you spent money to produce demos of your work, then spent 30 minutes to an hour pitching your work to a potential client only to have the client pay someone else (who DIDN'T spent that money and time) because they were cheaper?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
There is no way to buy a helmet other than try it on. See WebBikeWorld.com. They fit different head shapes differently.

Also with any full face helmet you need to leave the visor up until you are moving in hot weather or they will get stuffy. This is because they will flow air through the vents while moving, but not while stopped. Also they do not work well behind a huge windshield like a GoldWing has for this reason.

You may be a candidate for a flip face helmet. Personally I prefer full face helmets.

An extra tinted visor works really well in hot or sunny weather.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:59 AM

Garage
I second webbikeworld. Great resource.

Figure out what shape head you have and then shop accordingly. I live where it is hot so I want a helmet that flows a lot of air as well as being comfortable for 12 hours. The bell star is what works for me.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 AM

I bought a Shoei GT AIR Wanderer, but got the smaller inserts. Otherwise, mine felt the same, near headache like. But Shoei fits my head shape, so I knew it was likely I'd have to modify it a bit. I did research things quite a bit, but did buy mine online. With the pinlock anti-fog insert, its damn near perfect.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Anyone tried the new Bell ( Evolve ..?) with the available Visor that darken in the sun light ????
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just got this today:

HJC IS-17 Hi-Viz Intake
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/s?ie=U...ords=hjc+is-17
great price from Riders Discount...

it works great with my Olympia AirGlide 3 Hi-viz jacket

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I just got this today:

HJC IS-17 Hi-Viz Intake
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/s?ie=U...ords=hjc+is-17
great price from Riders Discount...

it works great with my Olympia AirGlide 3 Hi-viz jacket
Like the graphics...there aren't alot of manufacturers doing much as creative designs go with hi-viz helms yet.

Have noticed that folks (in general) aren't as quick to pull out in front of me while wearing my hi-viz xd.

Was just going to just get some "Penn" stickers to give mine some character...then got all creative and copied part of a replica design from an old street helm using black vinyl tape.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Black 2016 Versys
White/Blue XT225
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 06:14 PM

I have had a few Shoeis and as rules liked them all. The Qwest I have now was NOT the star I'd hoped it would be so I picked up a HJC FG-17 in hi-vis. Nice helmet for the money. even came with the PINLOCK insert, I don't think they do anymore though. Has a removable liner and I think it's nice looking lid. Even the extra shield I bought was less that half a Shoei one cost. Down side? I think it's a little noisier and bulkier than the Qwest or a RF1200 but cost less than half as much. It's both DOT and SNELL rated.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...7-force-helmet

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM

+1 on the flip helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You may be a candidate for a flip face helmet. Personally I prefer full face helmets.
I wasn't sure about wearing a full face either because I had before were 3/4 helmets. Started with a flip and now wear full face. Takes a little getting used to.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah you really goto try on helmets for like 30 min each.

Not only do each band of helmet have different shapes to fit head shape, but helmet sizing can also change between brands, so don't think a L in one brand equals a L in another.
I wear an XL Sharp Vision R, but ranged from L to XXXL with different bands that I tried.
Made choosing rather complicated and I was taking pictures with my phone of each helmet I tried and the Size and then rated them all how they fit.

Other helmets lining caused pressure points on my head like a pebble in your shoe.
You really just need to try and try and try... then order
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Garage
On Revzilla's site They have a sizing chart for each brand. I understand they have great customer service as well. Videos for each product and they discuss head shapes to helmet brands.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM

I've enjoyed my Qwest. But it simply does not flow as much air as I'd like for the hot summer days. I take off my helmet and look like I am sweating to death. But I can't beat the fit of the Qwest with the custom 45mm pads I ordered.

Not sure which my next lid will be. I've had a Bell RS-1 as well, enjoyed that helmet too. Flowed a bit more air, but just didn't fit my dome right.

Hmmm

Hooligan
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Anyone tried the new Bell ( Evolve ..?) with the available Visor that darken in the sun light ????
I have not tried that specific helmet, but I have fully tested the Transitions photochromatic shields and I think they're great.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the test about photosensitive visors.
I was interested in buying one but not anymore merely because of problems in tunnels (which I encounter a lot, some of them not lighted at all)

Perhaps I will buy this one wit gradually tint:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/VISIERA-SFUMA...item2a1217e267

Anyone tried this kind of visor?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I have the Bell Hi-Viz Emblem that Riders Discount advertises on this site with the Photochromatic visor. It works great.

I also have a Bell Star and a Bell Vortex. I had a Bell Revolver Modular but the sunvisor control got in the way of mounting my SENA Bluetooth.

The Star is the lightest and flows the most air. Great all day, every day, helmet.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can't recommend full face helmets strongly enough. I've been wearing that type since the late 60s (the original Bell Star) while club racing in England - Snetterton primarily. I've been through many different ones since then and wouldn't have anything else. Currently have: AGV, Bell, HJC, Scorpion, and Z1R - all pretty good in their own right - and don't cost an arm and a leg.

The Hurt report, published some years ago, found that something approximating 36% of head injuries occurred at the left and right chin area. That's over one third of the total and not to be taken lightly IMHO. As I recall Rider Discount sells a helmet that has graphics indicating the percentage of injuries in different areas of the helmet - it's enlightening to say the least.

My bearded chin might not be the most handsome, but I like it the way it is and am pleased to offer it protection. The only time I wished I was wearing an open face version was the day a very irritated wasp flew up under the chin bar and attacked me. Pretty exciting - not to mention painful.

Also agree with those who have said it's essential to try on the helmet you're thinking of buying and wear it for half an hour or so to see if any hot spots develop. And, unless you find a MUCH, MUCH better deal on line, buying from your local motorcycle shop may help the dealer stay in business so he's there when you need something essential so your can ride when you want. Disclaimer: I don't own a motorcycle shop or work for a manufacturer of motorcycle stuff. But I do have friends who own a small shop and I buy from them frequently because I want to help them stay in business.

My two cents.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in