Why do I hate R1s? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why do I hate R1s?

I was riding home on the 130 tollway, with it's splendid 80 mph speed limit. And I'm cruising at 85 and I notice a single headlight about two miles back getting larger and larger and in a matter of seconds a guy on an R1 is blazing by at what I would guess 150 mph. He was in full beast mode and covering some serious real estate.

I like to get after it every once in a while but on the tollway in evening traffic is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

The R1 is an awesome machine but I can't see how it can be used on the streets without breaking the law. And with all that said, man I want one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 PM

Yeah, that activity is also for the very young. I remember having a bike that would cruise at whatever speed I felt bold enough to maintain until it ran out of fuel. I would commonly get up at daylight, find where the weather was acceptable within a 5 state radius and be there before lunch! Breakfast in Birmingham Sunday , lunch in Kansas City and back at work Monday morning!

Edit: the only speeding award I ever got on a bike was while riding a ST1300. 45 in a 35...cop was 18 miles out of his jurisdiction being an asshole.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 06-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 AM

I wanna report you for posting that picture. It has disturbed my peace of mind and calm. Now I want one of those and it makes me remember I have just got enough in my bank account to pay my bills. It is ruining my relationship with my Versys which was a peaceful loving relationship. Damn!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 AM
MTS

Look at the FJR 1300 a complete road animal.

It just depends on what you want to do. If you really want that power, which is awesome you should go for it life is short.

I am on the other side. My next bike will be smaller, but I fully understand and encourage you to go forward. Go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
I wanna report you for posting that picture. It has disturbed my peace of mind and calm. Now I want one of those and it makes me remember I have just got enough in my bank account to pay my bills. It is ruining my relationship with my Versys which was a peaceful loving relationship. Damn!

Actually it is not one of the bikes that I truly miss. However; It was 130 HP fast, it had superb power-assisted, linked abs brakes that could stop it in unbelievably short distances in all conditions, the wind protection was unmatched by any other Sport-Tourer I have ever ridden and it ate up the miles like they were city blocks. But it was a pig in a way..it was VERY heavy. It cost three new Versys and five or six used ones! It was a great bike to have in the stable if you had others. At the time I was riding a FZ1 and a R1100GS, each for their particular strengths. Actually I'm very fortunate to have lived through those days

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM

I'm impressed you could tell that it was an R1 in a second.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM

I had that same bike, year, color. 8-9 years. Yes, great machine. I was happy when I bought it and even happier when I got rid of it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

I use to own an R1, rode it like I stole it all the time. Then girlfriends find an interest to be passenger, add the long distance touring, and 24hr challenges... and the R1 was gone.

Then along came the Versys, with a maintainable top speed of 150kph. I don't understand why the ER6F can do 210kph while the V is limited to 170.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
...Then along came the Versys, with a maintainable top speed of 150kph. I don't understand why the ER6F can do 210kph while the V is limited to 170.
I don't think that North American Vs are limited to 170 kph. Magazine tests showed it doing MORE than that in the quarter mile.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 AM

had mine on the clock at 200kph on a downhill with the wind behind , I read somwhere taht they were detuned for certain markets . I will see what I can find out .
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode