Mounting a Tomtom 910 GO gps on my Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
Mounting a Tomtom 910 GO gps on my Versys

Hi, just tried to find the right combo on the RAM mounts website, but of course the Versys is not listed under Kawasaki. So I selected the KLR650, and got the following result:

* RAM-HOL-TO3U: no discussion here I think, this is a holder for the tomtom 910 GO

* RAM-B-149ZU: the suggested mount with a U-bolt that fits handle bars from 0.75" to 1.25" in diameter --> is this ok for the Versys? It's for mounting on the steering bar then? Doesn't it come too high?

Anybody has this particular GPS (tomtom model 510/710/910 GO), which mounting solution (other brands?) did you pick pls? Did a search on tomtom but didn't seem to have relevant results for this particular gps model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Not sure if this might help you:
http://motowerk.com/tomtomridergpsmount.aspx

Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

No, unfortunately not, it's for a Tomtom Rider, I have a Tomtom 910 GO.

What size is the steering bar on the Versys in inch? We have metric system here in Belgium Is it between 0.75 and 1.25 in diameter?

Anyone has a similar setup with a gps mounted on top of a mount that stands vertically on your steering bar? I'm wondering if it's not coming too high up, and/or moves around a lot

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM

I made my own mount, didn't like the bulky hardware that came with it. Wasn't for a 910, it was a Rider, but the principal is the same.

Scroll down on this thread.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=tomtom

I put a small aluminium bar between the two vertical windshield mounts. Then bent another 4"x4" piece of same in an open inverted 'U'. Hardwired it to a switchable source (brake light fuse)-so it turns on with ignition.

Sure you could do the same for a in-car-just remember to put it away when it rains!

Machog

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLight View Post
No, unfortunately not, it's for a Tomtom Rider, I have a Tomtom 910 GO.

What size is the steering bar on the Versys in inch? We have metric system here in Belgium Is it between 0.75 and 1.25 in diameter?

Anyone has a similar setup with a gps mounted on top of a mount that stands vertically on your steering bar? I'm wondering if it's not coming too high up, and/or moves around a lot
Most stock bars (including the V) are 7/8 in in diameter.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

euhm, 7/8, so what's that in decimal then, as they say it must be between 0.75 and 1.25: 0.875 inch, so that should be ok then in principle

or do riders here in general advise to buy a second gps unit that is more specifically oriented towards motorcycling (eg. waterproof or so, standard mounting kits, power leads, ...)?

currently a gps unit is of course very cheap, that's true; but on the other hand, getting a mount for my car-tomtom is still a lot cheaper
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Twisted throttle has a good selection of SW Motech GPS mounts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

None for a Tomtom Go 910 unfortunately; the only mount that mentions a Versys is again for the tomtom rider

I checked the price for the tomtom rider, it's somehow three times more expensive than a normal tomtom gps... same for the garmin motorcycle variant, it's even more expensive than the tomtom rider

so guess I'll give the RAM vertical mount a go first, as it's only a fraction of the cost
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM

I started with a Tom-Tom mount and built out . Here is what I used for mounting my Nuvi 265:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...7&postcount=14

Check the on-line merchants for the cradle that fits the GO 910, here is one example:

http://www.gpscity.com/gps-mount/tomtom/go-910

Lots of options.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Hi A2RON, the gpscity link you provide lists exactly the same RAM mount options that I had already found (see my initial post)

guess they really are the only option of having my car's Tomtom 910 GO mounted on my Versys then; let's order

As it appears I'm the first person on this entire forum to use a vertical mount for a gps on the steering bar, I'll also make some pics so others can compare/evaluate
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, bit of a bummer yesterday... Finally it was dry enough and not too cold, there was even a hint of sun, so I went out on the bike of course for the afternoon; I had just installed the ram mount for my regular car gps Tomtom Go 910, it looks the part

unfortunately my gps didn't last for more than 5 minutes while driving: it slowed down and froze, and finally spontaneously resetted itself... Tried it several times, always the same result; very "funny" as I needed to find my way to a specific address in Ghent, stopping on the side of the road and resetting the gps every 5 minutes

so looks like i'll be needing to buy a very expensive garmin zumo 550/660 or tomtom rider after all...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

starlight

Hope this helps: Mounting by Motowerk and GPS Garmin Zumo 500.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0011.jpg (346.1 KB, 117 views)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 AM

I just bought the Motowerk mount and an adjustable holder off ebay. Hoping to get it together soon. I don't know about handlebar mounts, they are available on ebay. The Motowerk system looks much more stable and is mounted for the proper angle of the screen.

My Album:
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
euhm, 7/8, so what's that in decimal then, as they say it must be between 0.75 and 1.25: 0.875 inch, so that should be ok then in principle

or do riders here in general advise to buy a second gps unit that is more specifically oriented towards motorcycling (eg. waterproof or so, standard mounting kits, power leads, ...)?

currently a gps unit is of course very cheap, that's true; but on the other hand, getting a mount for my car-tomtom is still a lot cheaper
That is an interesting question and I have wondered the same thing. I have decided to use the car gps and remove it when not riding. 2 reasons, I am cheap and I am afraid any gps left on a bike in a parking lot will get ripped off. Especially a $700.00 Zumo or Tom Tom. As for waterproof, I don't ride in the rain as a rule, and if I get caught out, the gps will go in a saddlebag. I would do that even if I owned a "waterproof" unit.

My Album:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

I just bought a garmin nuvi 510 at pixmania for only 189 euro; it's also waterproof and vibration resistant, and for an extra 40 euro I got the gpsmount/ram-ball (that I can plug onto my existing rammount) and a power supply cable to install on the motorbike. Should be fine for my use, instead of buying a 500-600 euro Zumo 550/660.

It's got bluetooth as well. Maps are standard only for benelux and france, should be ok for now to tour around in my own country and north of france. Will investigate options to get european maps at some point in time
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
That is an interesting question and I have wondered the same thing. I have decided to use the car gps and remove it when not riding. 2 reasons, I am cheap and I am afraid any gps left on a bike in a parking lot will get ripped off. Especially a $700.00 Zumo or Tom Tom. As for waterproof, I don't ride in the rain as a rule, and if I get caught out, the gps will go in a saddlebag. I would do that even if I owned a "waterproof" unit.
The zumo 500/550 comes with a security lock/screw and you can just dismount it from the bike. I only dismount the GPS if my V is out of my sight during stop overs otherwise it there all the time. No problem. Very good mounting from Motowerk and you will break/damage the unit if are trying to rip it off the bike.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 PM

OK, just got my Universal GPS/MP3 holder mounted to my Motowerks mount. Was so easy, I was done in 15 minutes. Next I am ordering the electrical plug to get off battery power. This mount would work with any GPS, because it adapts really wide. Very pleased with the setup. Here is my pic, sorry it doesn't show the hidden Motowerks mounting plate. I just had to drill 2 holes to mount the holder, again-easy. I thought it would be a process but it wasn't. I hope the charging plug is as easy, but we'll see.

My Album:
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

any suggestions on where to connect the powercable to feed the gps? go all the way to the battery? or plug into the cable that feeds the main light?

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
any suggestions on where to connect the powercable to feed the gps? go all the way to the battery? or plug into the cable that feeds the main light?
This may help:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7074

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode