Michelin PR 4 Tires - Has anyone experience this? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Michelin PR 4 Tires - Has anyone experience this?

In the June 2014 Issue of "Motorcycle Consumer News" (U.S.), in their test of the 2014 BMW R1200RT with PR 4 tires on it -

"...our RT rode on Michelin's new Pilot Road 4 GT rubber, which appears to be designed for heavy rain. Both tires are heavily siped and the front features a pattern of cross-groves which divide the tread into innumerable small blocks. The front gives a very heavy steering feel at lower speeds and an unstable feeling mid-turn, as if the tire were underinflated (denied by the on-board tire pressure monitors but double-checked). ... Michelin's new Pilot Road GT tires didn't impress us with their squirmy feel and heavy steering. They are probably great rain tires, but they didn't help the handling of the RT."

1. Has anyone on the V Forum experienced this issue with their PR 4 tires on the Versys?

2. Could the issue be bike specific on the R1200RT, a heavier, more powerful bike?

3. Could this issue be specific to the GT version of the PR 4 and not to the regular PR 4?

I need to order my tire replacement set # 3 soon, as my RoadSmarts are very close to the wear bars now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

I have a new set of PR4s on. They feel good to me.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

Purchase the PR3s and avoid the hassle. The PR3s are praised by most as the best tire for the Versys for a reason, join the flock.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM

My 2009 Versys and PR4's are excellent together. I have ridden somewhat aggressively in both dry and wet conditions with them. No issues whatsoever with them... I have the "Standard" PR4's.

I'm no diplomat
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 AM

I got to spend some time on my friends G650X this week with a brand new set of PR4's

Fantastic tire! I believe that review because of the ultra heavy touring bike... Id throw a Road Smart II on that type of bike first.

Hooligan
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I went through 2 sets of PR3's on the Versys and have the PR4 GT's on the FJR. The PR4 GT's are made for heavier bikes. The regular PR4's will be fine on the Versys.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM
MTS

I have a thread on MPR4's, so far excellent reviews!

My research before purchase said the front tire is the same as MPR3's. And the only difference in the rear is a little harder rubber in the center of the tire so it will last longer.

Carving through the mountains has been great! Way better than stock and gravel and trail way better too.

Oh GT's . . no info sorry.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
My research before purchase said the front tire is the same as MPR3's. And the only difference in the rear is a little harder rubber in the center of the tire so it will last longer.
Compound wise the fronts are the same but for the record the tread pattern is a little different in the PR4. It improves water sipping and has beveled edges for more even wear when braking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr3.jpg (37.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg pr4.jpg (27.5 KB, 202 views)

Luck favors the prepared.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 AM

I have the Michelin Road 4 s and love them. They stick very well (my chicken strips are almost gone), are very light on turn-in and good in the rain. I would not hesitate to purchase them again. A bit pricey but should last twice as long as the Heidenau K73 s I had before. Dave
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have the PR3's and love them. They are wearing very well. The model constructed for heavy bikes like the BMW is constructed differently than the 120/70-17 for the Versys, not sure if this is the issue. Lots of positive reviews of the Michelin tires so this may be unique to this bike/tire model. As far as I can tell there is not much difference between the PR3 and PR4. I would be interested to see what tires they liked for the BMW.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-16-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM

One possible difference is the weight of the two bikes. The R1200 feels heavy to me anyway...

2013 White V

Marty in Kerrville
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas! I just sent in my order for a set of PR 4s. I should have them by Wednesday. I used rockymountainatvmc.com .
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have the PR3's and love them. They are wearing very well. The model constructed for heavy bikes like the BMW is constructed differently than the 120/70-17 for the Versys, not sure if this is the issue. Lots of positive reviews of the Michelin tires so this may be unique to this bike/tire model. As far as I can tell there is not much difference between the PR3 and PR4. I would be interested to see what tires they liked for the BMW.
MCN (US) said '... we'd prefer the Continental Road Attack tires that were fitted to other RTs at the launch." ...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 AM

put some PR4's on last week , awesome change in the bikes steering and smoothness , sold on PR4's for the future .
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Garage
Good find with rockymountainatvmc.com
277 for a set is a great price!

Luck favors the prepared.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The PR4s must be the hottest tires going right now. Every forum is talking about them. I put 4000 miles on mine a couple weeks ago and no issues with the way the tire handles or the traction provided. I didn't have to change my riding style much for the cold rain I encountered in New England.

I wonder if the reviewers had road time with other tires on that bike before reviewing the PR4s. Also, it all depends on what type of rider you are, how much arm strength you have, how much leverage the bars provide, etc. etc. when determining how a bike handles at slow speed.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Garage
Just did a cross country tour with the PR4's. They were fine but I wore them funny because of a lot of interstate crossing the mid west each way. The rear is shot at 7000 miles. The middle is shot anyway, the rest of the tire looks brand new. I really like the pilot road series. But I'm really looking at the Avon Storms to try out..

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
Just did a cross country tour with the PR4's. They were fine but I wore them funny because of a lot of interstate crossing the mid west each way. The rear is shot at 7000 miles. The middle is shot anyway, the rest of the tire looks brand new. I really like the pilot road series. But I'm really looking at the Avon Storms to try out..
In contrast, my rear Angel GT is pretty squared off from all my freeway commuting. It might have 1k miles remaining. I checked my paperwork last night, and it has over 13k miles on it already. And I really like this tire. I have them in 3 out of 4 positions on my bikes.

Before this, I was getting 11-12k miles from Metzeler Z8 rear tires.

Probably gonna replace it with another Angel GT. Curious about Avon Storm 3D XM though. 8mm rear tread depth--seems to be 1mm or more deeper than typical ST rubber. Wonder how long it would last...
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
In contrast, my rear Angel GT is pretty squared off from all my freeway commuting. It might have 1k miles remaining. I checked my paperwork last night, and it has over 13k miles on it already. And I really like this tire. I have them in 3 out of 4 positions on my bikes.

Before this, I was getting 11-12k miles from Metzeler Z8 rear tires.

Probably gonna replace it with another Angel GT. Curious about Avon Storm 3D XM though. 8mm rear tread depth--seems to be 1mm or more deeper than typical ST rubber. Wonder how long it would last...
good to know on the ANGEL GT's. I have a set on order to replace the PR3's I have on right now. They still have a fair bit of life left but we are leaving on a 5000 mile trip in a few weeks and I don't want to have to worry about them mid-trip. I have read great reviews on the GT's and Motorrad magazine rated them number one a little while ago.
I only got 5000 miles on the OEM Scorpion Trails so looking forward to longer life.

2013 Versys1000
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 AM

The Angel GTs are the best tire I ever put on the Versys. Quick steering yet superb stability with superior grip wet or dry. Better than the PR3 as far as steering feel but if wet grip is your thing then the PR3 is the best rain tire out there.

I have not tried the PR4 but it should match the PR3 for wet grip.

KEB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode