Cast wheels....and dirt roads???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cast wheels....and dirt roads????

I would appreciate any insight(s) you might offer regarding the strength of the cast wheels, on a Versys, for going off road.
I realize that they will never be as strong as a spoke wheel but would like to hear from those of you who have gone off road.

I guess my question is this....how easy do they bend?

Thanks for your time.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM

I havent bent mine, nor have I heard of anyone else bending their Versys wheel...
There has been plenty of offroading done on the V thus far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM

I noticed on both my front and rear wheel that I have just the slightest bit of a dent or bulge, that you can feel with your fingers but not really see.

I do ride a lot of gravel roads, but I can not remember ever hitting anything that I would have thought would damage a rim.The only thing I can think is that at some time I must have hit a pothole to cause both rims to have a little damage. If I did, it wasn't bad enough to cause me to notice it.

I hit a BIG hole on my C-14 once and it jarred the H--l out of me and bent both rims. The rims do not leak though, so even if they have a dent they are still good to use.

I am careful about trying to miss obvious hazards, but what ever I hit must not have been all that bad. I am watching even more closely now.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 PM

I'll add my two cents worth here, I'm here in Cuenca, Ecuador and have ridden a lot of rough roads in the last three months. My friends Carlo and Toni got into town last night on on their F800GS (wire wheels), both rims are bent. Ron is here on his weestrom, he had to replace the rear wheel (cast) after hitting a pothole in Central America. My Versys took a ton of abuse in Guatemala and Costa Rica, I hit a lot of potholes that should have damaged the rims but I have suffered no wheel damage. Some of you won't agree but I think that my tires have saved my rims (thanks again jdrocks), the Tourances are tough and have a higher profile (2.75 inches) than the stock Dunlops, in my mind they took all the abuse and I would have bent rims without them.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by DBD34; 11-16-2009 at 11:25 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Gary...thanks!

Gary,

Thanks for you insight(s). I appreciate it.
Looks like you are doing what I want to do next year. It is a toss up between taking my '08 KLR or going out and buying a Versys. I would certainly appreciate the extra power. I also understand that the Versys handle much better.

Be safe!

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM

DBD34-

I agree on the taller tire protecting the rims. Good post, good thought.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Gary,

Thanks for you insight(s). I appreciate it.
Looks like you are doing what I want to do next year. It is a toss up between taking my '08 KLR or going out and buying a Versys. I would certainly appreciate the extra power. I also understand that the Versys handle much better.

Be safe!
Take either bike down there , just stay out of the middle of Biker/police riots Read his trip report ........ http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5141

** This space for rent **

Last edited by BlackHammer; 11-17-2009 at 09:07 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
Some of you won't agree but I think that my tires have saved my rims (thanks again jdrocks), the Tourances are tough and have a higher profile (2.75 inches) than the stock Dunlops, in my mind they took all the abuse and I would have bent rims without them.

Gary

130/80-17 rear on the front, and 150/70-17 on the rear? 32 psi front and 36 psi rear?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM

I'm running 40# in the rear #38 if the front, replaced the rear Tourance @ 11,000+ mies, the front will get me to Tierra del Fuego! Heading east into the Amazon this morning, I'll post in a couple of days.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode