Should Lane splitting be legal in all 50 US states? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Should Lane splitting be legal in all 50 US states?

Action starts at :20 seconds.

Ouch!

This video gives me pause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Absolutely, it should be legal. No question in my mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 AM

This argument is about as contentious as what oil to use or whether or not WD-40 is good for your chain. There are some lame arguments for lane sharing on both sides. For those that say it's dangerous. You ride a motorcycle, it's dangerous. Lane sharing is no more dangerous than any other motorcycling activity. For those that say it reduces traffic congestion, I don't buy it. There aren't enough of us on the road for it to make a difference.

I'm glad we can "lane share", as it's officially referred to, here in California. It doesn't mean it's a good idea all the time. There are safer and less safe ways to do it. In California it's not illegal, which means you can get cited for lane sharing in an unsafe manner. There are general guidelines that have been put out there by the CHP, but ultimately it's up to the officer.

I support lane sharing being at least "not illegal" in 50 states and left up to the individual rider to decide on whether or not they want to do it. If you feel safe doing it, go for it. If you don't, don't.

I would also love to see more riders in CA lane share responsibly so as not to continue giving the rest of us bad reputations. I would also like to see more education for the cagers and overall better treatment towards us motorcyclists by many cagers around the country that decide to take the law into their own hands by opening doors and intentionally squeezing us out...

Now look, I got on my soap box again...exactly what I didn't want to do, but I can't seem to stay away from this topic.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Why did the driver of the car open his door?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Why did the driver of the car open his door?

I've been on freeways in Cali that are completely shut down. While working my way through the parked cars there were lots of people that got out of their vehicles walking around leaving their doors wide open and others opening up their doors to get out of their cars. I've close a few doors in order to get through. Most people in general never look in their mirror before opening up their car door...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 PM
MTS

The question is should it be legal in all 50 states?

I'm not sure but the car door opening is not good.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=MTS;626201]The question is should it be legal in all 50 states?

Yes...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 PM
MTS

Hell yah!

I would love to have that right!

Lets get that done!

CCW in all 50 too! Someone opens a door just do a warning shot!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 06-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 PM

I don't care if it's legal or not, it would have very little effect on me. Same with helmet laws, very little effect on me.
To be honest, I used to be against splitting, sharing, filtering, whatever you want to call it. I've argued against it in the past but now I realize it doesn't effect what I'm doing so now I feel like, you make your decisions and I'll make mine.
Now, CCW does effect me, I'll expend my passion on that.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Garage
Yes I believe it should be (even though I live in the woods)

This video swayed me on the subject

Luck favors the prepared.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 PM

As a visitor to CA and having experienced lane splitting, I have to say it takes some practice to get comfortable with it. It does seem like some people on bikes go a bit faster than what I would consider a safe speed when splitting lanes, but again, I don't have nearly as much experience and haven't developed the same level of comfort with it.

I do think it can be done safely and I'd like to see it in legal in other states. After all, it's not mandatory so if you don't feel safe splitting lanes, you don't have to do it.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
What I'd like to see made legal EVERYWHERE in the US and Canada, is "filtering-up" thru a line of cars waiting at a red light, so that the bikes can reach the head of the line.

Whether I want "lane-splitting" while moving... - I don't know.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
We have a lot of designated bicycle lanes on streets. They are about 4 -5 ft. wide and run along the street between traffic lanes and cars parked along the curb. Getting doored on you bicycle is pretty common when someone opens their door to exit their vehicle as their door opens into the bicycle lane. In a few rare instances it is fatal causing the downed bicycle rider to roll into traffic.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Of course

Why wouldn't you want to give people the option to make their own choices?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What I'd like to see made legal EVERYWHERE in the US and Canada, is "filtering-up" thru a line of cars waiting at a red light, so that the bikes can reach the head of the line.

Whether I want "lane-splitting" while moving... - I don't know.
I don't care if it's legal or not because I won't be doing it either way.
Here is why I won't do it, one of the worst situations you can put yourself in on a motorcycle is being the first vehicle through an intersection when the light turns and the whole purpose in filtering is to get through the intersection before any of the four wheelers.
Filtering and splitting is in direct conflict with three of my riding rules, don't hurry to get into an intersection before anyone else and always leave a way out and stay as far from other vehicles as possible.
I think it should be legal because "you do whatever you want, it's your life to lose" but I'll stick to my golden rules of riding.
Speaking of "golden rules" Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you".
I bet most of us would be pissed if a car decided to use our lane to pass us. What's the difference between a motorcycle sharing a lane with a car and a car sharing a lane with a motorcycle?
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM

Governments ALL OVER THE WORLD say it is LEGAL and SAFER for motorcycles...

Why is it not legal in the US... you got me. I feel 10x safer splitting than sitting at a stop light or in traffic. Ive been rear ended 3 times sitting at a stop light. I've never had an accident splitting.

Hooligan
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
...Here is why I won't do it, one of the worst situations you can put yourself in on a motorcycle is being the first vehicle through an intersection when the light turns and the whole purpose in filtering is to get through the intersection before any of the four wheelers....
I LIKE being the first guy at lights, but I ALWAYS clear both directions before I proceed. Left first as those are the first lanes you cross, then right....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Action starts at :20 seconds.

Ouch!

This video gives me pause.
This guy was being a dickhead, going to fast, revving the crap out of it to intimidate drivers. Got what he deserved. Car driver should not have been getting out of car in traffic.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM

I have no opinion other than in our area, Seattle, I wouldn't trust the other drivers with my life. They drive like bucketheads. Signals, stop signs, etc., are all up the individual at any given time. Trusting that someone obeys traffic laws is like trusting congress to do the right thing....ha!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 AM

I'm also in the camp for federal legalization. Oh. Wait. You're talking about lane splitting, man?

And yeah- I do it daily in NYC, and that guy was being a dick. I never exceed super-short stop speed, so say 10mph in stopped traffic for that very reason. The revving is unnecessary too. When I come to a 'pinch point' I just wait a few seconds, and almost without fail one of the two cars ahead will give way for me. To each their own...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode