Versys for me? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys for me?

Greetings. I lurk here quite a bit, but don't post much.

I'm a re-entry rider currently on an '05 Vulcan 750. It's been a good re-entry bike, but I'd like something a little newer and more capable. I ride solo only, but I'm 5'11" and 275. I can't force myself to get interested in cruisers much and I'm also not particularly interested in sport bikes...I like standard motorcycles, including Versys, V-Strom, Bandit and the like...

I have checked out the Versys. For some reason, they don't seem to be selling very well around here (Sacramento, CA) and there are a bunch in the showrooms. I don't get it, because it's a very nice motorcycle . Its capabilities are pretty apparent, from my reading on this website...mutliday, multistate, multiroad excursions with essentially no problems. Also, it seems to fit me better than the V-Strom.

My only concern is this: Is this bike going to be able to lug my large self around, or are my expectations unrealistic? I'm sure this question is asked fairly frequently, so I apologize if this is redundant, but any input you can provide will be most appreciated. Thanks for all replies.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:54 PM

Versys capabilities

No worries Bob, The versys will haul you anywhere that you want to go. I am 5'10" and 275 lbs. The V amazes me everytime I climb aboard (and I do mean climb...lol) I have a 30" inseam. I am still trying to figure out how to mount and dismount gracefully...hmmmmm
I live on the Texas gulf coast (CC) and it is usually pretty windy around here (15 to 25 mph) No problems riding on the freeway at speeds 70-80mph. The V still wants to go faster. I came off of a 1600cc meanstreak. I was afraid I would miss the Torque. I am here to tell ya not even a little...The Versys will put a grin on your face everytime you ride it... These are just my opinions. Hope this helps alittle.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 PM

I think it could do it.
I know it could do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM

A test ride will surely seal the deal!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Mine hauls me and my girlfriend around which has to be 350 pounds total, without gear.
Go for it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Looks like we're getting there. Retirement about January 10, 2011...new bike January 11, 2011...

Back at the dealer looking at the '09 Versys again...they've got some screaming deals right now-I think they have three or four '09 leftovers. Since I can only afford one bike, this might be the one, since I can pay cash for it...

...and still farkle it...

I don't know if I can wait until January...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'2" 270 lbs plus gear top case etc. The bike handles it well quick on the take offs and no problem passing. I'm use to larger bikes and thought a 650 would be down on power for me but the versys has more than i need

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

That's really good to know.

I know the Versys does well on the secondary roads, but sometimes, you just have to get on the interstate to get quickly from Point A to Point B, so I was curious how the Versys does when that is necessary...

I think you may have answered that question...sounds like it does it all pretty well...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM

Garage
I'm usally cruising about 85mph on the interstates here and she's purring like a kitten

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Wow...OK, I'm convinced....large, heavy cruiser not required...

As I mentioned, I particularly like the seating position on the Versys...

Wonder if the windscreen is going to have enough deflection...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM

Garage
No on the stock windscreen. on going topic. I think it would make a nice ash tray though

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM

JingleBob,
Read it, believe it!

Also watch the vid below:

My Album:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=J

Wonder if the windscreen is going to have enough deflection...[/QUOTE]

I ride with Harley riders, they would appreciate even the stock wind screen, especially when its cold. I have the GIVI and it is better than stock.

About your weight concern, consider the fact that the V has a lot more suspension than your heavy cruiser. That said, if you want a rocket, buy this: It has the suspension and twice the horsepower, at twice the price!

My Album:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 PM

take the v for a test ride and you will be hooked the motor is simly majic i just bought a 2009 on wednesday traded a c50 suzuki cruiser i cant imagine anybody needing any more for normal riding
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I remember reading that MOTY article...it's one of the reasons I started having an interest in the Versys.

The suspension is great...at least when I planted my caboose on the bike...definitely intend to test ride it, but I already like the long travel feature. I also prefer the Versys seating position and ergonomics over the V-Strom and way over the cruisers...

Don't want a rocket...just a good, reliable bike that'll do what I want it to do...90% local 1-2 day rides in the foothills and mountains around here and 10% multi-state touring...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi jinglebob

Only had my versys 2 weeks, and only on the freeway once...it does fine...but just remember it's a 650 not a 750 or a 1000....it does have limits...just my 2 cents worth....cheers

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My lovely wife has a 800cc cruiser and when i riding her cruiser and she on the V and I try to pass her she opens up the V and leaves me for dust and she is newbe to riding. I would also that my wee 650 has left a lot of bigger bikes well behind on rides through twisty roads and i have to slow down on the straights on other side for them to catch up. On loading i weight 80kgs and weighted all 3 bins before a away trip 28kgs, bit of a sore point as i was carting half my wifes gear including a blinkin hair straightner (for future referance i refuse to load the hair thing) but the bike handled a 2500km trip over 6 days through wind, rain and hot sun brilliantly. Do not think you will have any problems riding on your interstate roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode