Am I getting scammed? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Am I getting scammed?

signed the papers on new versys and then they inform me that a "mandatory first service" is due @ 600 miles - obviously at my expense. so I ask "how much"? well it depends, 1.5 to 3.0 hours + 4 qts oil + filter + air filter+ ......could be between 2 & 4 hundred dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when I do a service on a new outboard motor, I know within $20 of what the bill will be. really sounds fishy to me. maybe some of you with more m/c dealer experience can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump67 View Post
signed the papers on new versys and then they inform me that a "mandatory first service" is due @ 600 miles - obviously at my expense. so I ask "how much"? well it depends, 1.5 to 3.0 hours + 4 qts oil + filter + air filter+ ......could be between 2 & 4 hundred dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when I do a service on a new outboard motor, I know within $20 of what the bill will be. really sounds fishy to me. maybe some of you with more m/c dealer experience can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks in advance.
Do it yourself and keep the receipts . They can not void your warranty .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Last edited by turn8a; 06-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Garage
Two things stand out as red flags to me:

1) "mandatory" first service. You may need to ensure the things listed at the Break In Service Interval are taken care of, and changing the oil and filter would be very important at this point, to protect your warranty. But, you owe no dealer an mandatory service call, you just need to ensure these itemns are taken care of and documented. There is no likelyhood of anything being wrong with the bike at this stage of its life. Beyond the oil/filter, maybe air cleaner and some good detailed checks to make sure nothing is leaking or coming loose now that the bike is broken in, that's it.

2) Considering the above, Break In Service should be very standardized at a dealership, there won't be any surprises on the inspection at this point - and if there are they would surely be warranty items - so the price for this service should be known and exact.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Only holds about 2 qts of oil and airfilter is not serviced at first service. Run away, run away, run away.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM
LDB

Who are "they"? Where are you located? As mentioned, if you are in the USA, they can't mandate anything other than the required work must be done by someone at the required intervals. You can do it yourself or you can have anyone you trust do it. Just save all receipts. So, who are "they" and where are you located?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Where am I

Fort Lauderdale, Broward Motor Sports. I am becoming more & more disenchanted with them. I let them spout BS yesterday, but today when I go back we will have a discussion. Based on our dealings so far, they are a bunch of bait & switch artists. I knew they were wrong, but wanted to hear from this group & get my facts straight before unloading on them. Thanks for the input & back-up.
BTW, thoughts on the RPM extended warranty? Complicated enough engine to justify it or typical hose job?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Fort Lauderdale, Broward Motor Sports. I am becoming more & more disenchanted with them. I let them spout BS yesterday, but today when I go back we will have a discussion. Based on our dealings so far, they are a bunch of bait & switch artists. I knew they were wrong, but wanted to hear from this group & get my facts straight before unloading on them. Thanks for the input & back-up.
BTW, thoughts on the RPM extended warranty? Complicated enough engine to justify it or typical hose job?
I bought a used versys had about 5000 miles on it ,now has close to 21000. It did not come with any warranty,. Found this one on ebay. Might be worth a phone call for same warranty at a cheaper price.

Due to Kawasaki's new MAP Policy "Starting March 1st 2012" all GTPP's must be advertised at Full MSRP. Instead of having each bike listed we grouped all street bikes together under 900cc's. Please call ahead of time and make sure that your bike doesnt have a less expensive retail sales price. Ask for Ryan!! 719-784-9633

Kawasaki Motorcycle 4 year Extended Warranty

Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan

* 48-Month Extended Warranty for your Kawasaki Motorcycle - NEW

For atv's see other auctions
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Hose job. If you want you can buy the same warranty off ebay cheaper.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 AM
LDB

Yep, scam. The primary thing to remember is "Magnusson Moss". I will take one small step toward their side in that someone must do the proper work at the proper time. Now, if they were just saying there's a mandatory service at 600 miles and nothing else then they are ok. If they were saying it must come back to them for it so they can price gouge you they are total BS.

Oh, my dealer plus 2 others in this area all quote $240 to $250 for the 600 mile service. Good luck.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 PM

I had my first service done by the dealer for piece of mind. I wish I hadn't, they gave me the same "well it depends, 1.5 to 3.0 hours + 4 qts oil + filter + air filter+ ......could be between 2 & 4 hundred dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!" B.S..

The real kicker was when I took the bike in and was doing the paperwork, they asked me "Is that a quad?" when I told them it was a Kawasaki Versys, and then asked me what the displacement was. I thought "Oh well, that's probably just the guy logging it in, not the guy working on it."
When I picked the bike up they had adjusted the idle up to around 2000 RPM, adjusted the levers so they no longer fit ME, hadn't adjusted or lubed the chain and only half assed washed it. Needless to say, I wasn't happy and won't ever take my bike back to them.

As others have said, if you are comfortable with doing your own work, read the owner's manual, follow the checklist, make a record of it, and do it yourself. Just because the guy that works on your bike gets paid by a dealership, it's doesn't mean he knows what he is doing better than you.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm fortunate to have an excellent, honest Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer near me. I've bought my last two bikes from them. I do all my own maintenance, but I've always let them do the first service, as I feel better having them check everything over again after that first 600 miles. The first service on my Versys was just under $150. From here on out, I'll do it, with the exception of engine work such as valve checks, etc.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...BTW, thoughts on the RPM extended warranty? Complicated enough engine to justify it or typical hose job?
No. Extended warranty - that's when the people that make something bet you that it won't break during the warranty period, and you bet AGAINST them....

My '08 has been very reliable (51,xxx miles) as has my '09 (42,xxx kms). The '08 had an oil-leak behind the water pump that took me awhile to diagnose, and (IF I remember correctly...) about $25 to fix - which I did myself.

I personally would NOT buy an extended warranty (UNLESS I had a Bimmer...!).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:20 PM

An hour and a half for the 1st service doesn't sound unreasonable to me--there's a lot of stuff to check the tightness of. Not sure. Mentioning the air filter raises a red flag though. The service intervals on the air filter are much longer.

If you follow the motoman break in procedure you'll do the 1st oil change sooner than 600 miles.

Be thankful they don't call for a valve check at 600 miles--many bikes do. Honestly though it might not be a terrible idea. Several of us had them checked early and some clearances were tight.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM

All I can say is, once I ride a bike out of the dealership it never goes back. I do all my own work. All you need to do is take a look at the kids in back and you'll do the same, trust me most of them look like they should be in school some where. I know there are some smart kids out there but at the rates most dealer want to pay the smarts one move on.

The only exception is tires, I hate changing tire and have a good tire man who charges a reasonable rate and stands behind his work. I take him the wheels and tires and it's $20.00 to mount and balance a wheel. He's never damaged a wheel on me and even cleans the wheels when he's done. The last "Dealership" to touch a wheel off one of my bikes BROKE the wheel and tried to say it wasn't their fault and they wouldn't pay for it, the judge say otherwise BUT it took 4 months.

So Screw 'em I say. Buy a shop manual and the tools you need as you go. Find someone who knows what they are about and make friends. Go to Tech Days if you can to learn, take donuts or some other treat! And remember there are some smart people on this board to help, I can't say that about all the boards I go to. Hang out and you'll get and good idea of who to trust.

Keep records and IF it does need warranty work have copies of the records and parts receipts for the dealer. It does help to be friends with the dealer though and remember if you buy all your parts offline one day your local dealer will be gone so spend a bit more to get things from them...just NOT double or other silliness.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-08-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 AM
MTS

DIY

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 AM

I don't think you are being 'scammed', per se - but maybe a victim of upselling.
The first service is quite simple and straightforward, and can easily be done by the owner, if one has the basic skills and facilities to work on the bike at all.

I've never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life - and I've never needed one, thankfully.

Just my opinion.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 AM

Always do the work yourself! Unless u have absolutely no mechanical skills what's so ever? Or if u buy a really expensive fancy pants motorcycle. Always a good idea to get to know your bike as much as u can. There loads of vids and easy steps to follow. You'll also do a more detailed job than the dealer. It's easy and the versys is really beginner friendly for doing oil changes yourself. There are those who don't really have the means to do the work themselves cause of where they live, no garage, no tools, no patience. Those people should go to the dealer. they'll probably drop there versys on themselves. First service is basic. Change oil, oil filter, adjust chain, tire preasure and just make sure all nuts and bolts are nice and snug. No air filter service for a long time maybe 10 thousand miles? Good luck!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Wow an air filter after 600miles. Yep, if they really said you need one their digging at your pocket for no good reason...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 PM

staff--lol

Just a note since I work in the industry, the staff member was probably rattling off a canned response to be given to anyone asking about a service in general. Most shops do have trouble finding qualified and knowledgeable staff for all positions, and quite often a service advisor is hired for their people skills, and not their mechanical knowledge. If what you are hearing does not sound quite right, ask to talk to someone with a little more knowledge, advise them of what you were told and your concerns and quite often they will clarify any errors or mis-conceptions from the first conversation. This being said, I have also seen consumers who hear what they want to hear and do not listen or completely understand what the service department (or sales department for that matter) is telling them either.

It is advisable to have a first service done by someone qualified if you are not comfortable doing the work yourself. If the first service includes the bike being gone through completely (like it should), doing any minor break-in adjustments, and on some bikes this does include a valve adjust/inspection, the time you were quoted is not out of line in general.

This being said , if all they do is drop the oil and give it back and charge three hours, yes you are being scammed. All I can say is take it to a reputable dealer, give them a list of any concerns or adjustments you may have and tell them what you expect to be done.

You can do all maintenance yourself, keep all parts receipts so you can prove to warranty said maintenance was done if they question it at a later date. I would also inspect everything on the bike carefully because this is when things will get fixed, replaced under warranty if required, the average consumer may not catch things a qualified mechanic will.

there is no perfect answer except go with your gut feeling about the skills and reputation of the dealership, ask around for opinions and get more than one btw.... like any industry, a few bad apples can make everyone suspect.. and this is usually not the case because most people in this industry are there because they enjoy it, not because it's just a job.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Went with a mix of all responses

first, I am a Yamaha outboard tech & did all of my own stuff on the used klr that I put 36k miles on. so I know which end of the wrench to hold. ended up blowing off the ext. warranty, and will probably let them do the first maintenance just to put it on the books.
after talking to the serv. mgr. I feel a bit more comfortable with the first maint. but will still get an written estimate before leaving it. in florida, that is the law. I do have an intermittent oil pressure light coming on which is either a sender or a bad wire/connection by my guess - plenty of oil in engine. so I would like them to check that since that is on their dime.
otherwise, everything else will be done by me. THANKS for all the replies, mostly just confirmed my own thoughts, but it is always good to get other opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode