To Sell or Not To Sell my Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To Sell or Not To Sell my Versys

Hi everyone,

Need a bit of advice from my fellow V riders. I posted a few weeks ago that I will be deploying to S. Korea for a year and wanted advice on storage options/procedures; however, now I am considering selling my beloved Versys.

I am considering selling because the bike will sit in my garage for 1 whole year, then it will spend 2-3 months in transit over to Germany. Once I receive the bike in Germany, it be November time frame, thus getting too cold to ride. I will be forced to store the bike for 5-6 months until it warms up.

My dilemma is this:

1. I am not sure how much to sell the bike for given all the modifications I have done to the bike. The bike is a 2008 with 14K miles and is in real good condition. I will need tires pretty soon. Other than that, nothing else is really needed for the bike. I have a ton of farkles ranging from pelican case saddlebags, corbin seat, KTM duals rear rack with rear trunk, to a yoshimura exhaust. I was thinking roughly $4200 for the bike minus some of the main farkles and $5000 with all farkles. What does everyone think?

2. I really dig BMW bikes and I could likely find one over in Germany for a good price. I have been talking about upgrading to a slightly larger bike for some time. I also really like the FJR 1300's.

3. My wife tells me it's my decision and that the bike is paid for, so having the bike sit for 18 months isn't really a big deal since we aren't making payments.

I guess the bottom line is this. Its a hard decision for me, especially since the bike is paid for; however, having the bike sit for close to 18 months, pay insurance and lose some value at that, seems kind of pointless.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

I live in Shreveport/Bossier City Louisiana, so if anyone on this forum is close by and is thinking of another Versys, or knows someone interested in a Versys, please let me know.

Here area few pictures of the bike. Not very recent; however, the bike looks the same except for the tank bag which was replaced with a nicer/newer bags connection tank bag.

Thanks
Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7229.JPG (170.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03858.jpg (57.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03869.jpg (55.7 KB, 111 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM

I would attempt to sell it. If no one buys, keep it. I do this often when I'm in limbo over the sell of a bike ,car, gun etc. I determine my bottom dollar in my head and if I get that, great ,if not I keep it. Maybe that's why I have 8 bikes. You can guess the one I ride the most. Love the Versys.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's a tough question to answer perfectly. On the one, hand selling it means you won't have a bike that's 15 months older without having been ridden or cared for on a regular basis. Storage isn't necessarily bad however. I stored a Suzuki T500 (great old two stroke twin road bike) for 15 months while I was in Turkey long ago. It sat in my parent's garage and when I returned I put in a new battery and fresh gas and rode it to Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota without a hitch.

On the other hand if you sell it you'll have some $$$ (and time to save a bit) so you can buy a new bike in Germany which you'll be able to ride from new and then bring home to the US - as long as it's a US model.

If you decide to sell, and don't seem to be able to get what you want with all the farkles on it, consider removing those items and posting them on this forum. They should sell like hotcakes - most farkle items seem to sell that way. Though I've not done that, it seems that many members remove the farkles and sell them individually then offer the effectively stock bike at a reasonable price.

My two cents from an old Air Force guy who seemed to have bikes in one place and assignments in other places.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Wow...Grand Forks...I bet you probably were only able to ride a few months out of the year.

I will probably try and piece out the bigger items like the saddlebags, rear trunk and seat. It might make more sense to leave the smaller items on the bike for the new owner.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
With what you have into it plus its paid for i'd store it. Mine was stored for a year 5 months after i bought it. Drop the insurance down to liability or drop it completely until you get ready to put it back on the road.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Wow...Grand Forks...I bet you probably were only able to ride a few months out of the year.

I will probably try and piece out the bigger items like the saddlebags, rear trunk and seat. It might make more sense to leave the smaller items on the bike for the new owner.
Yes. Add the ever present wind and riding could be pretty exciting. Once was blown from the right lane on the interstate, across the left lane and into the Median in a heartbeat. Very attention-getting event.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 PM

Sell it for a reasonable price. Buy a bike overseas that you cannot get easily in the states and bring it back when you return. EDIT Here is why I say that: I stored mine for 4 years. No ins, no tag. I had to pay 5 years worth of tag fees and Ad Valorem taxes to start riding it this year. And then I still had maint issues to pay for as a result of those 4 years: Tires, brake fluids, battery... Meanwhile the bike continued to depreciate. Taxes, depreciation and maint far exceeded what I would have lost just selling the bike for a loss before it sat for 4 years. In your case, a '08 Versys is one of the least desirable years....regardless of how much lipstick you put on it. The bikes available to you in Germany will make you forget the Versys forever.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 06-05-2014 at 11:24 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
With what you have into it plus its paid for i'd store it. Mine was stored for a year 5 months after i bought it. Drop the insurance down to liability or drop it completely until you get ready to put it back on the road.
+1

Like what weljo's sayin! Do the pro con list and tally it up!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 AM
LDB

First off, thank you for your service and pass along a thank you to your wife for being a military wife. That takes a special woman. I don't have any magic answer or wisdom. Dave Ramsey would congratulate you on no payments. That's definitely a good thing. As mentioned, if you got secure storage, you could probably get away with no insurance but it is a risk to some degree.

You will lose money selling it. That's a given. How much is the question. How that compares to the drop in value is the second question. Since the mileage won't go up at all, just the age of the bike, the loss may not be that extreme.

If you can come home and be happy with the bike for a few years you're probably better off financially keeping it. If you're going to want out of it withing a few months of returning you may be better off selling it now to get more for it.

Again, thank you for your service and good luck with your decision.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 AM

If you are are going to sell anyway (it sounds like you have a couple options for your NEXT bike) NOW would be the time to sell. Personally I wouldn't want it in storage and later being transported to Germany, just one more worry when you already have plenty of things to worry about. CASH stores and travels much better than a motorcycle.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Shipping a bike overseas is going to cost a lot of money. Probably more than it is worth. On the other hand if someone is paying for shipping, it may allow you to bring back a nice BMW cheap.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Let me help ya

You can store it at my house, just leave the keys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode