Lowered bike, now new seat raised me back up - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Lowered bike, now new seat raised me back up

(sigh)

I'm an idiot.

Went thru all the trouble to lower this bike with the Motowerks link, etc. and then installed the seat concepts foam/cover. It's comfy. I like it. Triples my comfortable riding distance.

But.... I'm back on my toes again. It's certainly taller than the OEM seat.
.......Not realizing that they also offered a lower version of that foam/cover set.

So, if any of you need a taller seat, I would be open for a trade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe you should give Loren a call. If he's not to far away you could ride in and get a custom fit..http://www.motorbikesaddles.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm 5'6. I have the speedy lowering kit and stock seat. I barely touch on my tip toes. So I just leave one foot on the foot peg and one flat on the ground. Been doing that since '09 and never had an issue. No offense meant but why do you need to be flat footed? The only bike I've ever flat footed was my wife's old 250 ninja.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Hi Mack, I have to agree with you on that one! I'm 1-1/2" taller, no kit, OEM seat - toes and one foot down, sliding the cheeks a bit. Got no problem with it for myself BUT if I were riding with a passenger. That would probably change everything. Sure, it could be done in an emergency but I would not want to tour like that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
I'm 5'6. I have the speedy lowering kit and stock seat. I barely touch on my tip toes. So I just leave one foot on the foot peg and one flat on the ground. Been doing that since '09 and never had an issue. No offense meant but why do you need to be flat footed? The only bike I've ever flat footed was my wife's old 250 ninja.

Yeah, you're right. This Versys is light and it's really not a problem to be on tip toes.

I lowered my FJR1300. Much heavier bike. The bike feels totally different now, and I like it much better. Hard to explain. Can't exactly flat foot it, but at least I'm not on my TIP toes.

We do some amount of unpaved roads. Getting into a situation where it's a stretch to reach the ground is not as pleasant as it was when I was 18 years old.

Yes, I wear very thick soled boots.

Last edited by kballowe; 06-03-2014 at 06:39 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Maybe you should give Loren a call. If he's not to far away you could ride in and get a custom fit..http://www.motorbikesaddles.com
Huh. Great idea. It's just a short day ride - 275 miles according to Google maps. I could slide out of here around 4 am one morning....

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Yeah, you're right. This Versys is light and it's really not a problem to be on tip toes.

I lowered my FJR1300. Much heavier bike. The bike feels totally different now, and I like it much better. Hard to explain. Can't exactly flat foot it, but at least I'm not on my TIP toes.

We do some amount of unpaved roads. Getting into a situation where it's a stretch to reach the ground is not as pleasant as it was when I was 18 years old.

I 2up a lot but gravel without being flat footed would definitely be a no-no for me as well.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...We do some amount of unpaved roads. Getting into a situation where it's a stretch to reach the ground is not as pleasant as it was when I was 18 years old.

On my 4 day adventure ride thru AZ, NM, UT, NV last October I dropped BIG RED when I had parked on the Moki Dugout (to take some pics) on an un-even stretch where the crown of the road fell away on my right a fair amount. Got on, started getting the bike upright - - - "What-the-hell!" as my right foot found air instead of dirt, and over she went. Here's the pic I stopped to take..., and the one that resulted...!

I TRY to be VERY careful NOT to park in such an area again....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01657 copy.jpg (106.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01658 copy.jpg (91.4 KB, 55 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
On my 4 day adventure ride thru AZ, NM, UT, NV last October I dropped BIG RED when I had parked on the Moki Dugout (to take some pics) on an un-even stretch where the crown of the road fell away on my right a fair amount. Got on, started getting the bike upright - - - "What-the-hell!" as my right foot found air instead of dirt, and over she went. Here's the pic I stopped to take..., and the one that resulted...!

I TRY to be VERY careful NOT to park in such an area again....

It looks like maybe it's just tired. You're working it too hard.

I have a bike that likes to lay around the garage.
after a hard day riding........

BTW, nice photo !

Last edited by kballowe; 06-05-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Loren built me a seat a couple years ago. We traded a bunch of email and some pictures and I got about as perfect a seat as possible.

Beautiful work as well.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...I have a bike that likes to lay around the garage.
after a hard day riding........

BTW, nice photo !
Does your Wing enjoy 'sleeping' on its left side TOO...?

You liked my pic... which one, the "sleep" or the Dugway...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Does your Wing enjoy 'sleeping' on its left side TOO...?

You liked my pic... which one, the "sleep" or the Dugway...?

Nope, just the right side....

It's virtually the only way to get that big, fat car tire in there. Lay it over on the side, kick up the center stand, remove five lug nuts and Viola ! the wheel comes right out. I can take it down and back up by myself and it rests on the engine and saddlebag guards so no damage.

I thought both your photos were good. It's the journey, and the stories. If you do't have pictures..... it didn't happen....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode