Another confused luggage buyer - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another confused luggage buyer

Ok, so I have the Kawasaki factory saddlebags, brackets, and trim kit on backorder. But, I'm thinking of cancelling the order and going straight for the Givi set. In trying to piece together the whole story of Versys/Givi/Kaw luggage this is what I've come up with, please correct any discrepancies only if absolutely sure...

1. The Kawasaki saddlebags (K16160-0005) are Givi V35's, no differences at all except the Kaw's say "Versys" on them.
2. The Kawasaki trunk (K16160-0004) and bracket (K16160-0023) don't seem to be made by Givi... Or if they are, the bracket (K16160-0023) is different than FZ447 and the Kaw trunk (K16160-0004) doesn't have a Givi Monokey or Monolock equivalent.
3. The Kawasaki bracket kit (K16160-0024) is NOT the same as Givi PLX447 combined with PLX447KIT, because the Kawasaki brackets cannot be used with the trunk brackets. Whereas Givi tells you PLX447 must either be mounted with FZ447 or using PLX447KIT.

So, essentially the only thing that is exactly the same between Kawasaki and Givi is the V35 cases alone.

And, if I want to someday mount a trunk along with the V35's, my best/easiest bet is to get the Givi brackets.

Is that an accurate birds eye view of the situation?? And whats the deal with the SW-Motech brackets that also work with the Givi luggage? Are those made by Givi???? Why would I buy those instead of PLX447?

Jon

Last edited by JonInMassachusetts; 06-27-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

So I guess I was right?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 PM

I don't know what the deal is the manufacturers, but I just cancelled an order for the Givi's because the brackets were BO'd. For the money, and what people here say, I'm going to go with soft luggage instead.

My order looked like this:

Ordered: 1 Givi Z228 Givi 3-Case Lock Set with 6 Matched Keys (Z228)
Ordered: 1 Givi V46.A900 Givi V46 Monokey Topcase (ea) - 46 liters/case
Ordered: 1 Givi E95S Givi E95S Backrest for E52 and V46 topcases (soft gel)
Ordered: 1 Givi V35.A900 Givi V35 PLX Sidecases/Saddlebags (pair) - 35 liters/case
Ordered: 1 JMH.R5011 ReflectGard 3M Scotchlite Reflective Visibility Kit for Givi V35 PLX sidecases (1 pair)
Ordered: 1 Givi FZ447.M5 Givi Topcase Rack (Kawasaki Versys, '07-)
Ordered: 1 Givi FZ447 Givi Topcase Rack (Kawasaki Versys, '07-)
Ordered: 1 Givi M5 Givi M5 Monokey plate for FZ-series Monorack topracks (nylon)
Ordered: 1 Givi PLX447 Givi Tubular Sidecase Racks (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-) for PLX sidecases only
Ordered: 1 AML.LEDV46.T AdMoreLighting LED Kit for Givi V46 topcase

Along with a bit of reading on our Forum here, I got a lot of my info on what to get from the webbikeworld article on the Versys http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ccessories.htm

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I read the article on webbikeworld. However, they're based in Canada and kawasaki.ca lists Givi luggage right on the site. The US site doesn't say Givi anywhere. And, the trunk on the US Kawasaki site isn't even on the Canadian site. It seems to be a whole different situation in the US, as usual.

As for soft luggage, I really want something that locks and I don't want to have to deal with rain covers. One of the big selling points for the Versys with me was the availability of hard luggage.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMassachusetts View Post
...And whats the deal with the SW-Motech brackets that also work with the Givi luggage? Are those made by Givi???? Why would I buy those instead of PLX447?
The SW-Motech hardware is not made by Givi. SW-M is the manufacturer (they're from Germany). They make racks to fit different types of luggage -- Givi plus other brands. So if you already had some luggage, you could get the SW-M to mount it.

SW-M also makes a quick-release version of their mounts. This is what I got. The brackets can be detached and leave just some small tab/brackets on the bike. I have had the topcase on for a while, but I've only had the sidecases on for a few miles. So far I like the setup.

-Alan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:46 AM

I have all GIVI...bags and mounts. It's really good stuff and the side case mounts look like the frame when the bags are not installed.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:57 PM

+1 on the GIVI setup. The downside with the Kawasaki side racks is that they can't be used with the top rack and it replaces the grab bars as well.

With the GIVI setup you use with or without the top rack. There is a $24.00 kit that you'll need if you decide not to use with the top rack. It's probably just two pieces of metal that connect the top flanges on the rack to the handlebar bolts. I went with the top rack option.

Here's a thread with some pics on the differences between the Kawi and Givi racks. http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=509

The advantage of hard bags is that you can lock your stuff up and they are easier to clean. I had the soft bags on my BMW - the F650Cs had custom soft luggage. The two problems I had with it, one I couldn't lock them and two they got dirty and were hard to clean and just looked like crap after awhile. There's a reason that a lot of soft-luggage is made like a backpack - it's so you can lug it inside everywhere you go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

I actually called my dealer and asked about buying Givi luggage. They said they had just sent in the paperwork to become a dealer and I could go ahead and place an order. So I cancelled the (back)order for the Kawasaki luggage and ordered the Givi luggage and brackets. The next day they said everything was in stock and on it's way. So now I wait patiently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode