Buying a Versys 1000 in Canada...then shipping to U.S. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buying a Versys 1000 in Canada...then shipping to U.S.

What logistics would be involved in this venture? I have a lot of family in Michigan, so getting close to our Canadian friends wouldn't necessarily be an inconvenience. What would be the converted cost to US dollars and any potential carry-over-the-border fees? If I did decide to pull the trigger on such an investment, I'd probably just ride 'er back to Texas, so gas would just be part and parcel. Anybody done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I can't imagine what sort of governmental horrors might await you. Can't imagine what the border guards would do if you tried to ride it into the US without license plates. And I can't imagine the Canadian government allowing to title and register it without a Canadian drivers license and residence. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Strange things do happen. In 1972 I bought a British market Suzuki T500J (while living in England) and had it air freighted back to San Antonio. Fortunately it was a very different time and the customs guy at the airport did't know jack squat about motorcycles so he signed the documents and let me ride itaway. I doubt that could happen today.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 AM

I know the other way around is no big deal. I checked a few years ago into buying a bike in the US and bringing it to Canada. The only thing required was a government form to show at the border and around a $300 fee.
I don't know if the US is stricter or not but it should be easy to find out on line.
As far as cost your dollar is about 10% higher right now so at the Canadian "list" price of $13,999 it would cost you about $12,5000 plus around $800 PDI but dealers have been selling new 2012's for $9999 or $9000 US approx.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM
LDB

Out of curiosity, why not buy in Texas and ride both ways or buy in Michigan near your people's place? Along with everything else isn't a Canadian bike going to have the speedometer backwards with km primary and mph secondary?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Out of curiosity, why not buy in Texas and ride both ways or buy in Michigan near your people's place? Along with everything else isn't a Canadian bike going to have the speedometer backwards with km primary and mph secondary?

They don't sell the Versys 1000 in the states. Mexico,Canada and now India but the USA Nope....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I know the other way around is no big deal. I checked a few years ago into buying a bike in the US and bringing it to Canada. The only thing required was a government form to show at the border and around a $300 fee.
I don't know if the US is stricter or not but it should be easy to find out on line.
As far as cost your dollar is about 10% higher right now so at the Canadian "list" price of $13,999 it would cost you about $12,5000 plus around $800 PDI but dealers have been selling new 2012's for $9999 or $9000 US approx.
Yup - I did it in 2011. Brought my '09 into Canada. No big deal, and because it was leaving AZ, I had no taxes, etc in AZ - just about $300 at the Canada end.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
The Versys has a digital speedo/odometer like the 650 that can be set for either km or miles quite easily.

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM

I curious, unless you are doing the maintenance yourself, would a US Kawasaki dealer be able work on the Versys 1000?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
I curious, unless you are doing the maintenance yourself, would a US Kawasaki dealer be able work on the Versys 1000?
I don't see why not. Plus, it's not like Kawis need a ton of work
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Same basic parts as ninja 1000.

Recently drove a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and it was not terrible but still bit of a disappointment. Kawi Versys 1000 is less pretty but drives much better. High torque 4 cyl engine in V1000 is as smooth as glass but pulls like a mule.

If kawi could give the V1000 a facelift and release it in US they would have a hit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by twowheels; 06-02-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I sent Kawa corporate office a letter, detailing the financial benefit they would reap by offering the 1000 here in the US. My letter went on and on ad nauseam.
I got back one sentence. Stating something like "At this point in time there are no plans to market that particular bike in the US".
Who knows, if enough people bombard them with request they may eventually cave.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwodogs View Post
I sent Kawa corporate office a letter, detailing the financial benefit they would reap by offering the 1000 here in the US. My letter went on and on ad nauseam.
I got back one sentence. Stating something like "At this point in time there are no plans to market that particular bike in the US".
Who knows, if enough people bombard them with request they may eventually cave.

Sent a letter after the first year they came out. Got the same response from a young lady there.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:57 PM

I should have cited statistics about baby boomers aging. We still want the power of the ninja 1000, just not comfortable with the monkey humping the football position.
We are the ones with the largest portion of disposable income. (Not me), don't understand why they are overlooking that.

Last edited by jtwodogs; 06-02-2014 at 03:59 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Call a Canadian Kawi dealer and ask. If it can be done, they'd know how.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:34 PM
djg

Yamaha Super Tenere advocates wheedled Yamaha into bringing that bike to U.S.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.U40zz_nxrp8

Canadian and American emission regulations and standards are identical except for California so there should be no hassle with EPA restrictions. The speedo toggles between miles and kilometers. I bought my Versys in the US and imported it into Canada, the process was easy. Another thing that may work in your favor is the exchange rate has recently shifted to favor the American dollar. Currently $1 US = $ 1.0898 CDN That said you will usually get a better deal from a dealer in a large city like Toronto or Montreal than a smaller city.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I should have cited statistics about baby boomers aging. We still want the power of the ninja 1000, just not comfortable with the monkey humping the football position.
We are the ones with the largest portion of disposable income. (Not me), don't understand why they are overlooking that.
And they'd probably cite that aging baby boomers are more interested in cruisers.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Ive got a Ninja 1000 with coming up 30,000km on clock and its not humping the monkey on that bike, im 5'8 and the Ninja has 15 degree forward angle which is not that much, anyone 6 foot would be close to bolt upright on that bike, I do use airhawk for longer rides.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Ive got a Ninja 1000 with coming up 30,000km on clock and its not humping the monkey on that bike, im 5'8 and the Ninja has 15 degree forward angle which is not that much, anyone 6 foot would be close to bolt upright on that bike, I do use airhawk for longer rides.
I'm 6'2 and tried one out at the dealer. I felt very compressed compared to the V. Also what little time I was on it my hands starting to tingle, I will say that I have fusion at C6-C7, so that may account for some of it. Even on the V if I am on it for more then a couple of hours I get the tingle, so anymore forward angle for me is a definite no.
I was just trying to give the US more options as far as the V goes.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

My spine problems are in the L4 to L5 region, so a little forward lean is actually a good thing; however, I do have weird nerve issues in my wrists. I have to do push ups on my knuckles, or my hands will go numb, so I doubt an actual crotch rocket would bode well for me. I'm also 6'9", so the lean on the Ninja 1k should be close to nothing, so practically zero extra weight on the wrists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode