What aftermarket parts to go with - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What aftermarket parts to go with

Ok so I have some cash left for mods and fun parts for the bike I plan to ride with mostly guys from work but also want to do longer trips with my dad he does 2000+ mile trips on the gold wing

LOOKING for ADVICE if these are a good route to go and if there are other options I may have over looked.

- Baldwin custom Seat with gel
- crash bars (will have highway bars) not certain which ones I like the higher ones that cover the radiator shroud but can't find anyplace with them in stock
- a motowerk flat foot
- a top rack (motech one seems to work with future hard side bags better more options that work with it)

ok the exhaust is a toss up I am ok with the power from the bike but can not stand the sound to sewing machine like for me.

I like the Ixil Dual cans sound the BEST but not sure if the arrow full will have the sound I am looking for? also If I go with the FULL Arrow I have to get a Power comander but with the Ixlix I can go with out the PC

So anything else I should look at for comfort and useability on trips in the 300-400 day trip range to start off with?

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650

Last edited by MotoCop; 12-30-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Throttle rocker and throttle lock are low cost items that add comfort for me. I also use an Alaska sheepskin cover when its not raining and an Airhawk if I'm on 500mile day runs.

Really good 100% over jacket & pants waterproofs add to my comfort in a big way.

Other bits and pieces I've put on, Speedy's mirror extenders, passenger extender foot-pegs, big foot (www.motowerk.com). Twinshack hugger to keep the crap off the voltage regulator thingy in front of the rear wheel. Home made fender extender for the front mudguard to keep the crap out of the radiator (I live in Pacific Northwet).

Small Givi top box and rack so my other half has a back rest and I can put my GPS somewhere safe when I park.

Heated jacket with sleeves high collar and gloves with heatroller.

The list is endless.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 AM

I try to focus on my contact points with the bike: hands, feet, seat, ears.

Having ridden long distances on both a loud '99 Harley Electra Glide and an '05 one with stock exhausts, I recommend going for the quiet option and wearing earplugs. The air intake and wind add enough noise themselves. All day rides can result in your ears ringing.

I have the Bauhaus line of thought: form follows function (and for Harleys: chrome don't get you home.)

A crampbuster and throttle lock are essential, but still don't maintain a constant speed due to terrain.

A good seat is a must.

Having multiple places to put your feet is important.

On the Iron Butt site, their top mod is lighting. When less costly HID and bright LEDs are available, I'll add a low-mounted set.

Tony

Last edited by hdatontodo; 11-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 PM

I would also throw in a set of decent Hand Guards...like Barkbusters or Zeta. I was really impressed with the look and performance of mine, it also added more 'weight' to the front of the bike, making it look more complete.

As for the full Arrow Exhaust, here is a clip of my new one...I don't think a PC is necessary just yet. I think if you included a BMC filter and other mods, that is when the PC would be more of a necessity.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmichael View Post
I don't think a PC is necessary just yet. I think if you included a BMC filter and other mods, that is when the PC would be more of a necessity.

The pc made a remarkable diff on my bike, all stock except an "E" rated muffler. The stock map works, yea, but if you have that nagging feeling that it just wasn't right, like I did, the pc will remove that feeling and let the real motor come out. I'd get a pc before I'd drop coin on a pipe.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Handguards and throttle locks are great for longer rides. The Vista cruise
works well for me. Handguards are Barkbuster Storms. Good on those cold mornings. A GPS is a great thing to have when traveling too. When you have been riding all day and you are a approaching some city you are not familiar with it is nice to be able to punch up the info on local motels, pick one, and have the GPS point the way. No wandering around looking. About the muffler. I know its a personal thing but on long hauls I think quiet is much better. After getting off a Harley and on to BMW's I got used to the quiet real quick. Quiet is good. Its all about function and efficiency. And when you get to attack some twisty road the Versys wails pretty nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0568.JPG (646.5 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0578.JPG (616.7 KB, 430 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dwr302; 11-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCop View Post
Ok so I have some cash left for mods and fun parts for the bike I plan to ride with mostly guys from work but also want to do longer trips with my dad he does 2000+ mile trips on the gold wing

LOOKING for ADVICE it these are a good route to go and if there are other options I may have over looked.

- Baldwin custom Seat with gel
- crash bars (will have highway bars) not certain which ones I like the higher ones that cover the radiator shroud but can't find anyplace with them in stock
- a motowerk flat foot
- a top rack (motech one seems to work with future hard side bags better more options that work with it)

ok the exhaust is a toss up I am ok with the power from the bike but can not stand the sound to sewing machine like for me.

I like the Ixlix Dual cans sound the BEST but not sure if the arrow full will have the sound I am looking for? also If I go with the FULL Arrow I have to get a Power comander but with the Ixlix I can go with out the PC

So anything else I should look at for comfort and useability on trips in the 300-400 day trip range to start off with?
heres a listing of most of the parts I've added. I need to add the new tires, GPS mount.
http://versysfarklefest.com/mybike.html

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you StonedGP Most of those are items I am looking for or at... Also how do you like the Corbin Seat, have you sat on a Baldwin to compair it with?

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCop View Post
Thank you StonedGP Most of those are items I am looking for or at... Also how do you like the Corbin Seat, have you sat on a Baldwin to compair it with?
Love my Corbin. Totally worth the big $'s. Never sat on the Baldwin. Can't comment.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok So here is the Final List

Hepco Becker Engine Guard On (on back order will be here round last week of November first of December)
CalSci Wind Screen
Kaoko Throttle Control
Koso Mirrors
Will pick out some foot pegs for the Engine guard when it get here

Live in Florida So I am going to Ride over to the Corbin store on friday and pick up the seat .... going with the Corbin because wife liked the back rest option duno if I will get it this trip or wait till it spring when she will actually ride before I get it

I have decided to go ahead and get the Ixil dual exhaust after talking to the guys at indy sport bikes and a couple of guys on here I am just going to do it. Only problem is it will take 4 maybe more weeks to get it .... has to come from Germany

I already have some great rain gear I use weekly here in Florida it seems so that will work for this bike too for now and I have some soft luggage I can use till I decide what if any hard Bags I want.

*edit went with the CalSci Screen and added the Koso mirrors from Ebay *

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650

Last edited by MotoCop; 11-12-2009 at 11:12 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok Update Time

I did go get the Corbin Seat and it has been great thus far. I don't like the function of the Koso ebay mirrors they look good but all I see are my elbows now instead of shoulders. I am now waiting on some Naploeon Bar End Mirrors to arrive at a local shop so I can check them out... no loss if I don't like them i don't have to buy them off the guy.

I got the CalSci Medium wind Screen very nice product and does a good job for me i am 6'2" with a 33' inseam. I painted the inside of the stock screen flat black and use it if I am running around town, just looks more sporty is all.

now the good stuff My Hepco & Becker Bars came in a little over a week ago but I was waiting on the Ixil Exhaust to get here so I could do allt he wrenching at once, and the Ixil showed up today... well I couldn't resist and went into the garage and in 20 min installed the new exhaust and MAN am I happy with it.

WOW is all I can say. JUST WOW what a sound. with the Baffles in it is very very nice deep rumble that is Noticeable when you ride and doesn't sound like a sewing machine. But when you take out the baffles it just sounds mean! and LOUD. When I started it up with the baffles out not revving or anything my wife came out to the detached garage and asked what was wrong with the bike by the time I got out to the road to test ride my neighbor across the street came out (he's a Harley guy) to see what I was doing . On my little test ride I noticed people NOTICED the bike people looked in cars on the sidewalk they stepped back from the curb I was like a kid having fun in town. BUT having said all that I am sure if I go on any length of a trip it will be with the baffles in or I will have to have earplugs but for around town it will be FUN no doubt.

performance wise there was no popping or backfires I do not have a PC or any other mods but I do run 93-94 octane gas.

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650

Last edited by MotoCop; 12-31-2009 at 12:03 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Some aftermarket parts choices for the V from a Japan website:
http://japan.webike.net/categories/1...00_145039.html

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode