well I tried - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
well I tried

So I tried making a silicone gel seat cushion. I work in a place where we make custom adhesives for everything from automotive, aerospace and military applications. My hope was to just buy a cover to put it in and maybe it would make the ride a little better. Turns out it feels harder than the original seat and makes it about an inch or two taller (not good for me). I have been sitting on it in my office chair for about a month now and the one thing I will say is it feels cold for a long time. The air hawk system is the way to go for sure , but I just don't have the money for one right now. Just thought I would share my attempted mod even though it didn't exactly work out for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140530_082432.jpg (33.1 KB, 95 views)

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM
MTS

Forward slope bad!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19731 Post#16

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19660

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 05-30-2014 at 07:53 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I think best thing to do is just save up for the hawk. I haven't heard a bad review yet. I was just trying to save some dough. the sleeping mat foam, is that like the pads you use for tent camping? I have a few of those lying around. Thanks for the info.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 AM

I did something similar... I cut out a piece of hard foam padding from my led tv box, contoured it same as the front bottom of the air hawk to give it an upward slope. With the right amount of air, which took me a couple rides to find the "sweet spot", it works now like a gem! At first I thought it would be an issue with my "package" but with a little refinement, re-shaping of the foam, no issues there, thank goodness! I feel like my behind is being massage as I ride.

Airhawk 2 was well worth it for me, I bought the passenger cushion as well for the wife.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM
MTS

+1 And if you ever sell the bike or ride another bike you can take the Air Hawk with you!

Hint: AH is best with almost no air!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was interested in getting my OEM seat chopped to lower it about an inch by a local upholstry shop, but they wanted an arm an a leg, like $250. I'm actually okay with the seat, having done the trick of putting 5 washers under each side of the front bracket, this changing the slope just enough to keep you from sliding into the tank. I may get the lowered Seargent one of these days, but that's another $430 I don't have right now.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 PM

If you want a lower seat, just peel back the front cover (remove staples first), remove all the padding in front except for first six inches, put cover back in place. Then, place
AirHawk R cushion on top. You'll get a 2" lower than OEM seat, and it's more comfortable than any other combination I tried. And I tried several dozen, including gel or all kinds.

If you don't need a lower seat, put the AirHawk R on top. If you need a little lower, just remove half the padding after the first six inches.

Using the AirHawk R is the most cost-effective option I found, for comfort and height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode