Clutch cable lube thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch cable lube thread

Holy wow, It's like a new bike. Although it is still rather new. I've rolled over 7k miles on my '11 V and never lubed the clutch cable. I started to notice some changes in clutch characteristics, almost like it had been adjusted, like the cable itself was lagging. After reading some mildly disturbing threads on here about cables breaking and what not, I figured I needed to give the 'ol cable some TLC.

All I have currently is WD-40 at the house, so that's what I used. I don't have one of those clutch lube devices, so I basically just let some WD-40 drip down the cable housing after removing it from the clutch lever and lubed all of the associated linkage...dang, she shifts like warm butter now. Now all I need to do is get something with a little more staying power/viscosity than WD-40 and make sure I do that more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ua...3tJsRKpdpdDxGn

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Now why did I know you'd post that link?

I use 3-1 oil to lube the cable, I let a few drops run down the inner cable once a month, and Phil Wood Waterproof bicycle grease to lube the little barrels at the end. That little cable end gets overlooked and is the main problem child. If you look or read most cables fail right at the lever end because of stress. If you keep that barrel greased up it can spin, not bind, it will help reduce the stress on the inner wire. My KLR has over 30,000 on the factory cable and I just checked and lubed it last weekend and it look new. The Versys only has 15,000 and it's cable look factory fresh as well.

Another thing is to buy a back up cable, they are fairly low cost, and hang it in the garage...where your bike can see it. Do that and you'll never break another cable. BUT if you do and it's Sunday, guess what? You have a spare and will back on the road in no time at all.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Now why did I know you'd post that link?

I use 3-1 oil to lube the cable, I let a few drops run down the inner cable once a month, and Phil Wood Waterproof bicycle grease to lube the little barrels at the end. That little cable end gets overlooked and is the main problem child. If you look or read most cables fail right at the lever end because of stress. If you keep that barrel greased up it can spin, not bind, it will help reduce the stress on the inner wire. My KLR has over 30,000 on the factory cable and I just checked and lubed it last weekend and it look new. The Versys only has 15,000 and it's cable look factory fresh as well.

Another thing is to buy a back up cable, they are fairly low cost, and hang it in the garage...where your bike can see it. Do that and you'll never break another cable. BUT if you do and it's Sunday, guess what? You have a spare and will back on the road in no time at all.
I like your thought processes.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 AM

I just lubed my clutch cable today. It feels great again. I didn't grease the barrel, but I'll do it now that I know I should.

I've also been planning to get spare cables in preparation for a rode trip.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Holy wow, It's like a new bike. Although it is still rather new. I've rolled over 7k miles on my '11 V and never lubed the clutch cable. I started to notice some changes in clutch characteristics, almost like it had been adjusted, like the cable itself was lagging. After reading some mildly disturbing threads on here about cables breaking and what not, I figured I needed to give the 'ol cable some TLC.

All I have currently is WD-40 at the house, so that's what I used. I don't have one of those clutch lube devices, so I basically just let some WD-40 drip down the cable housing after removing it from the clutch lever and lubed all of the associated linkage...dang, she shifts like warm butter now. Now all I need to do is get something with a little more staying power/viscosity than WD-40 and make sure I do that more often.
WD40 is ALL you'll need for your cable (plus a little grease for the barrel...) IMHO.

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...Another thing is to buy a back up cable, they are fairly low cost, and hang it in the garage...where your bike can see it. Do that and you'll never break another cable. BUT if you do and it's Sunday, guess what? You have a spare and will back on the road in no time at all.
I carry my spare cable under the seat - that way the GREEN HORNET (or BIG RED...) KNOWS it's there! IF it EVER breaks you can replace it wherever you are.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode