I was reminded about why I hate "crotch rockets" - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was reminded about why I hate "crotch rockets"

A few months ago my coworker inherited a Suzuki tl100s and today we decided to go for a quick ride at lunch. He mentioned how much he likes the versys so I offered to swap for the ride. Man that thing is fast! But so friggin uncomfortable. We went out for 20 min and my fingertips went numb and my palms hurt from the angle and my not so small gut was squished onto the tank. Always a good reminder to remember how great a versys is.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1401392626795.jpg (51.7 KB, 130 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 PM

every once in a while we need to try something else to remind us what a great bike we have.

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sure agree with you. The "monkey humping a football" riding position ceased to agree with me ages ago. Gettin' old I suppose, but I do like comfort more than profiling style.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm only 22 but my first bike was a crotch rocket and it almost ruined me for motorcycles. I wanted the sport like bike for twisties and such but I wanted to be able to cruise for long rides with my dad on his goldwing. I was about to give up and get a cruiser and deal with no real canyon carving in my future until I saw the versys. Fell in love right away. My dad co-signed and I brought home a new versys in 09." Vikki" just hit 35k and I still have yet to find a bike I like even remotely more. I'm hooked for life I think. Unless I find something exactly the same dimensions with a bigger motor. Cross country trips with my lady on the back is just a little labored IMHO.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
I'm only 22 but my first bike was a crotch rocket and it almost ruined me for motorcycles. I wanted the sport like bike for twisties and such but I wanted to be able to cruise for long rides with my dad on his goldwing. I was about to give up and get a cruiser and deal with no real canyon carving in my future until I saw the versys. Fell in love right away. My dad co-signed and I brought home a new versys in 09." Vikki" just hit 35k and I still have yet to find a bike I like even remotely more. I'm hooked for life I think. Unless I find something exactly the same dimensions with a bigger motor. Cross country trips with my lady on the back is just a little labored IMHO.

Mack,

Would you please post a few pics of your lady? I might see something that can explain the laboring you've experienced. Have her model a t-shirt or bikini and snap a few for a good evaluation.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

She actually is quite small( and way outta m league) but big hills out here in the sierra Nevadas and frequent trips to the Rockies has proven to drop gas mileage and power drastically, I could get a bigger bike or I guess I could get her a versys too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1401402967632.jpg (39.7 KB, 203 views)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
She actually is quite small( and way outta m league) but big hills out here in the sierra Nevadas and frequent trips to the Rockies has proven to drop gas mileage and power drastically, I could get a bigger bike or I guess I could get her a versys too.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 PM
MTS

Cann't smash my junk on a rocket.= CSMJOR If a big cup was built in . . . oh hell no way bad position period. JIMO

Love the way the V sets up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 05-29-2014 at 07:02 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Cann't smash my junk on a rocket.= CSMJOR If a big cup was built in . . . oh hell no way bad position period. JIMO

Love the way the V sets up.
Amen to that

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 PM

Using this site http://cycle-ergo.com there's about a 14 degree lean forward on the Ninja 1000 compared to the Versys' 0 degree lean. I eventually plan on upgrading to it, hopefully that 14 degrees won't be too hard on my wrists. I've never ridden an actual crotch rocket, but you guys don't make it seem all that appealing.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Definitely good to get a reality check now and then. I have been pretty outspoken on a few perceived Versys weaknesses. Tonight as I was riding home from being on the bike all day (14 hours), I was realizing how well suited the Versys is for me. I have had almost a dozen other bikes and most of them did something far better than the Versys does. But the Versys is a pretty damn good Jack of all trades. Maybe its starting to grow on me finally

I'm no diplomat
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 PM

Ride one for a while before you buy. Just sitting on them in the show room that angle was uncomfortable to me.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Using this site http://cycle-ergo.com there's about a 14 degree lean forward on the Ninja 1000 compared to the Versys' 0 degree lean. I eventually plan on upgrading to it, hopefully that 14 degrees won't be too hard on my wrists. I've never ridden an actual crotch rocket, but you guys don't make it seem all that appealing.
Ask kiwi (he is a good guy) and has both. I think he takes the V on long trips!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My neighbor just got a BMW 1300S
Besides having it trucked back to the dealer before finishing his first tank of gas, he's not so sure how long a ride he can handle.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I could maybe handle one for an hour at most. I won't disagree they are quite fun to play around on but I like long trips. And I'm not a fan of cramped hands and a sore lower back.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
I KNOW that my back could NOT take that position, and it seems to start hurting just thinking about it.

The V seems to have the same NATURAL riding position that all the bikes had back in the '60s (Triumphs, BSAs, etc - EVEN H-Ds!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't use the word hate. However, I do find the riding position ruins the relaxing scenic ride. I also find that the inline fours aren't as much fun on the street (Keeping speed limits in mind). The happy area for my ZX6R was above 8k. However, regardless of the gear, 8k RPM's put you way above the speed limit. Not to mention, that if you were cruising in 6'th, then you would have to downshift three times or so to enter some sweepers. The Versys engine is just a great street engine.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Maybe not all of them are that bad. I'll have to sit on a couple more and see if they all fit me as poorly.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Tried the 1000 at the stealership. It compressed my 6'2 frame way to much, but I did like the power. Whew what a rush!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

What about the versys 1000? How's the angle on that bike? Is it really just like the 650 big brother?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode