How to Clean my V with No Water? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to Clean my V with No Water?

The situation is, I am staying in a hotel for a couple months and I want to keep my bike looking GOOD! I have used the coin operated car wash locally, but that really doesn't cut it for me. I do have my Pit Bull stands with me and have cleaned the wheels and area around the chain with WD40 and am happy with that.

What I am looking for is a cleaner I can spray on the plastic parts (and maybe the engine) and simply wipe off. I'm thinking something along the lines of Windex.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckendall View Post
The situation is, I am staying in a hotel for a couple months and I want to keep my bike looking GOOD! I have used the coin operated car wash locally, but that really doesn't cut it for me. I do have my Pit Bull stands with me and have cleaned the wheels and area around the chain with WD40 and am happy with that.

What I am looking for is a cleaner I can spray on the plastic parts (and maybe the engine) and simply wipe off. I'm thinking something along the lines of Windex.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Richard
I use Meguiars Motorcycle Detailer Mist & Wipe with a micro fiber towel. It does a great job.

Check it out here.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM

I have used Lemmon Pledge to "dry wash" bicycles before. I like that it repels dust.
Like stated before Meguires make a detail spray that I like also.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 PM

Garage
I use "invisible glass" spray cleaner and a shop towel. Quick easy and cheap.
http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...37573351258191

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Lemon Pledge for the plastic and metal bits, Plexus for the windshield and your helmet visor and helmet exterior. Plexus is expensive but won't damage clear plastics.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 PM

I use a spray bottle of Simple Green and a spray bottle with plain H2O. A couple micro fiber towels and can of wax, can be pledge or whatever, and the Versys stays clean as a whistle. Wont really work if you get into dirt for real though.

I'm no diplomat
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:17 PM

I've used the pledge before as well, works great! Sometimes you just gotta get the hose out though!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:51 AM

Wimdex and cheap microfiber wash rags for plastic. Turtlewax Bug and Tar remover plus paper towels for wheels.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 AM

Lemon pledge. I've used all kinds of motorcycle cleaners over the years. You just can't beat the job pledge does for the money.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 AM

I hose mine off a couple time a year... whether she needs it or not.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM

pledge huh? never heard of that. I will have to give that a try. I usually use windex if I cant use the local car wash or the old hose and bucket.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM

Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish

Best I've found for cleaning a motorcycle.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfire View Post
Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish

Best I've found for cleaning a motorcycle.
+1 ...and if it's not available, there is another product that appears to be an near exact copy (the label has the same font, etc.) that works just as well.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Goop Hand Cleaner and a rag...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Goop Hand Cleaner and a rag...
Note that there are two versions of Goop Hand Cleaner. One has PUMICE in it, which is very gritty, and will likely ruin your paint finish and scratch your windshield. The other version, without pumice, I can only find a Harbor Freight stores. They both come in orange plastic bottles. The label on the front of the bottle will let you know which version it is.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Lemon Pledge for the plastic and metal bits, Plexus for the windshield and your helmet visor and helmet exterior. Plexus is expensive but won't damage clear plastics.
I use Lemon Pledge (the 'no-name' type) on my windscreens AND windshields, and they're ALL in GREAT shape. It will get rid of those little "swirly" looking things on the 'shields.

I ALSO use it as wax/ polish on my plastics - VG stuff!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Note that there are two versions of Goop Hand Cleaner. One has PUMICE in it, which is very gritty, and will likely ruin your paint finish and scratch your windshield. The other version, without pumice, I can only find a Harbor Freight stores. They both come in orange plastic bottles. The label on the front of the bottle will let you know which version it is.

I get the multi-purpose goop 4.5lbs tub for home I use it for cleaning the chain and frame of the bike also when i wash my Motorcycle Jackets i put Goop in the washer also. I keep a small tube in the side case on the bike for when its needed. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...p+hand+cleaner

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode