U Lock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
U Lock

I live in the city and would like to lock up my bike. I was thinking about getting the factory U lock that stores under seat but it is over 100 bucks. I am also an avid cyclist and know that they are not usually that expensive even for a good one. Anyone tried another brand that fits well? Or does anyone favor a different kind of lock (cable, disk rotor, etc.)?

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM

I use Krytonite U-Lock, about $60, It's long and sturdy. I generally insert the lock from right side of the bike over the rear spoke and through the swingarm. Anyone wants the bike bad enough will have to lift the bike.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Asus makes good locks. I have been fortunate never to find out just how good. I have one of their covered chain-like locks because, from what I have read, it is more difficult to cut something that slides than a stationary lock such as a u-lock.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 AM

Anybody's Using A Good Cable Type Lock That They Would Buy Again
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 AM

I just picked my new 08 up yesterday and was wondering where the u-lock was. I was under the impression that it was included with the bike. No?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blz2dwl View Post
I just picked my new 08 up yesterday and was wondering where the u-lock was. I was under the impression that it was included with the bike. No?
No, it's not included. There is a spot for it under the seat, but it's an optional part. I had not priced it, but it sounds like it's a danged expensive optional part at that.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYANU View Post
Anybody's Using A Good Cable Type Lock That They Would Buy Again
I have a cable lock for use when my bike is parked outside overnight (never so far for the V). I'll bring it to the AMA races and lock my rear wheel to my buddie's front.

Double protection.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM

lock

I use a u-lock that I had for my mountain bike...it fits under the seat perfect...it was a good quality lock when I bought it years ago, made of hardened steel, not sure if its as good as the one they make specifically for a motorcycle, but I figure it offers some security...I never leave my bike unattended for too long anyway.....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 PM

I got a 6' 18mm heavy duty cable lock from REI for US$22.00. I'm sure heavy duty cable cutters would trash it. But I use it for threading through my jacket and helmet-an idea from a fellow V rider-and then through the wheel. Enough to put low lifes off I hope.

Machog
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Has anyone the dimensions of the original U-lock?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I use a small alarm that locks on the disc brake. it is sensitive, if I move the bike in the back, it starts the alarm, so if I want to touch the bike I have to unlock it.
seems pretty strong, I don't see how somebody can remove it without damaging the disc.
something like this disc-lock, but not this one:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
rlj

I have a similar disk lock as well. I like it because it is small and fits in the tank bag easily. Can't move the bike with it on......
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I use a small alarm that locks on the disc brake. it is sensitive, if I move the bike in the back, it starts the alarm, so if I want to touch the bike I have to unlock it.
seems pretty strong, I don't see how somebody can remove it without damaging the disc.
something like this disc-lock, but not this one:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/
I use this one

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/...lFinish/page1/

No complaints but you have to remember that locks (of any type) and alarms are only to keep honest people honest. If a real thief wants your bike there is always ways around your security devices. The best defence against theft is vigilance, common sense and a good insurance policy .

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Those disc/wheel lock units are nice... but I think Id attach one of those aircraft type orange streamers to it that says Remove Before Takeoff!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Those disc/wheel lock units are nice... but I think Id attach one of those aircraft type orange streamers to it that says Remove Before Takeoff!
No need for orange streamers to remind you to remove it before leaving as if you don't you'll be the first to know its still attached.
I guaranty you won't make that mistake twice... speaking for experience. LOL

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
No need for orange streamers to remind you to remove it before leaving as if you don't you'll be the first to know its still attached.
I guaranty you won't make that mistake twice... speaking for experience. LOL
Mine came with an orange bungee type cord that slips over the disk lock and then slips over your clutch or brake lever to remind you that something is there....with that said, I still forgot to take it off once.....rolled about three inches and then "clank". Haven't done it since.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the response. Does a 14mm (disc brake) pin fit or do I need a 10mm? I can not check it myself, my bike is in Asia at the moment but want a decent lock before I fly over.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Thanks for all the response. Does a 14mm (disc brake) pin fit or do I need a 10mm? I can not check it myself, my bike is in Asia at the moment but want a decent lock before I fly over.
Which part of ASIA -

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Which part of ASIA -

Do you think this gone determine the size? I buyed one in Thailand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode