Just got back from my day trip to Gatlinburg, 1050 miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got back from my day trip to Gatlinburg, 1050 miles

I just got home.

I left at 5am for Gatlinburg, TN from Reisterstown, MD. Got home about midnight. It was 1,050 miles.

(Ride Report Posted in this Thread)

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PriorBikePicTakenAtWork.jpg (44.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Map_MD-TN-20091105.jpg (106.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg HardRockCafeGatlinburgTN.jpg (37.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg BikeInGatlinburgTN.JPG (54.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Times_MD-TN-20091105.jpg (77.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg GPS.JPG (25.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg ReisterstownMDGatlinburgTNtshirt.jpg (27.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg ReisterstownMDGatlinburgTNRearReflectors.jpg (41.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg ReisterstownMDGatlinburgTNDash.jpg (40.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 11-10-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Now that's a full day of riding.
I didn't even know that 5 a.m. actually existed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM

That must have been one of those iron butt adventures! Do you have throttle lock

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 AM

Holy heck!! thats 1,689 kilometers for us Aussies
its like riding from Ohio to Texas. or Melbourne to Brisbane

Um good effort
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 AM

So how was the comfort on that long a ride ??? also any pics .........
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
So how was the comfort on that long a ride ??? also any pics .........
The comfort level was just good enough for me to do the ride.

More in the ride report.

Tony

Last edited by hdatontodo; 11-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Uh, good info.

Took me a minute or two to get past BlackHammers avatar pic.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Uh, good info.

me too...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM

That was an awesome one day trip, wonder if anyone can top that? (NOT ME)
BTW, nice work remembering to delete your Max speed on the GPS!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Full Ride Report (Part 1)

Full Ride Report (Part 1)

Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 Ride Report - Reisterstown, MD (near Baltimore) to Gatlinburg, TN, November 5, 2009

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Tony Tontodonato, IBA #24737
http://www.tontodonato.com
hdatontodo at yahoo dot com

Background:

I had recently bought my 2009 Kawasaki Versys, on the same day that I sold my 2008 GoldWing to a gentleman who flew in from Kansas City. The GoldWing hadn't been getting much use due to the toddler and tough rush-hour traffic in the Baltimore/DC corridor. I felt better having a $6K bike sitting on the trickle-charger than a $15K one. Plus, I found that I could fit the Versys and my car in the garage together--great for the winter.

I liked riding the Versys during my 40 mile commute which is largely on back roads. The V-Strom DL1000 that I had two bikes ago was never this comfortable, despite having bar risers, a gel seat, and an AirHawk pad. I could tell that the bike would be good for long distances with some mods.

Farkles:

I installed an XXL CalSci windscreen that handles wind great and prevents buffeting around my head.

Having done 1,500 miles in 24 hours on my prior 2005 Harley Davidson Electra Glide, I knew that a Crampbuster throttle paddle was great, but, I needed more; I added a Kaoko bar-end throttle lock which replaced the bar-end weight. (The GoldWing was my first bike with an electronic cruise control. It was suprisingly convenient.)

I added JC Whitney highway pegs to the SW Motech crash bar. Since the T.T. U-clamps for the pegs had been sliding around, I added some rubber strips that were sticky on one side to the crash bar.

At the recent 500-mile service, I had a 16 tooth front sprocket installed to replace the stock 15 tooth one. This made for a 5% difference and had the added benefit of making the speedometer correct.

The new Bladwin tall seat with gel pad insert is great. The stock seat was one of the worst I had ever used. On top of the new seat, I had my Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. This is one tall bike. I can flatfoot it, but getting on and off with bulky clothing is a balancing act.

I installed SW Motech rack mounts and a Givi trunk and bags.

Handguards help with the wind protection.

Foam grip covers that I had never put on the V-Strom made their way on at the time of the throttle-lock installation.

My winter clothing consists of LL Bean fleece-lined jeans, a TourMaster Jett jacket, Gerbings heated jacket liner, outer pants, inner-soles, gloves and dual controller. Instead of using the jacket-liner connector for the gloves, I ran a cable down the sleeves
and used one of the controller connections. I used a 1->2 cable to connect both jacket-liner connectors to the other controller
connection. I like to leave the gloves on max, and the other parts on medium. I wear glove liners and use a neck/chin gaiter. I have some uninsulated Harley pull-on boots that I'll replace some day with something warm.

I had bought a Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS. It is waterproof, can take an FM traffic power cord, and has topo maps for when I'm using it in bicycle mode. A marine 12V outlet in the dash provides power.

I mounted my Valentine1 radar detector in a waterproof LS radar detector case on a RAM Mount. I mounted the hardwire power adapter underneath with velcro. The electrical farkles are connected to an auxillary fuse box under the seat.

I added mirror mount extenders and replaced the mirrors so I could see behind me.

I had a small magnetic tank bag with safety strap. Another holdover from the V-Strom.

My HJC Symax flip-up helmet has a Cardo Scala Rider Q2 bluetooth headset with an FM receiver.

The Hoon Hardware Roady Holder (a holdover from my Harley) sits on a RAM Mount for my Roady XT XM Receiver with FM transmitter. (When I wear earplugs, I can't hear it or the Cardo when moving.)

A 100oz CamelBak water resevoir with hose extension sits on my left passenger footpeg. I generally use a retractable ID badge holder for the bite valve end. A Nalgene Canteen water bag sits in my left saddlebag.

A Fenda Extenda is on the front fender, and there is a lot of reflective tape on the bags and frame.

The Opportunity:

Since my wife had an evening event, and Grandma would have the toddler, I decided to do an SaddleSore 1000 ride. Living in Reisterstown, MD, NW of Baltimore, I thought about going to South Carolina, Kentucky, or Tennesee. I was going to ride 1,000 total miles through New Market, MD, New Market, VA, and New Market, TN. Then, I decided I wanted the T-shirt and opted for the Hard Rock Cafe in Gatinburg, TN, a 1,050 mile roundtrip.

The Prep:

The night before the ride, I was up late loading and prepping the bike and hanging the Formotion 12V outlet near the seat in case I needed to charge my headset while parked. I didn't make it to bed until 1AM. The alarm was set for 4AM for trip.

The Ride:

4AM came pretty early, and I suited up and did my final packing. I made sure my PowerBars and Gummi Bears were in the tank bag. It was 37 degrees as I headed to the local Exxon for my fill-up and starting receipt. The pump didn't issue one, so I had to go inside for my $0.42 recipt just so I had a date, location, and starting time for my paperwork. I numbered this recept #1 and logged its info and the odometer reading, and the reset GPS trip meter.

I went a short distance to 795, then 10 minutes to 695, the Baltimore Beltway, then down 10 minutes to the start of I-70, where I headed west an hour. I took it past New Market, MD, and into Frederick MD, where I picked up 340W toward Harpers Ferry and Charlestown (track and slots.) Traffic was light and the only scents were skunk and cow fields. My right thumb was cold, so I went to move it horizontal, but accidently hit the kill switch. It took me a few seconds to identify and correct the issue. I was extra careful afterward. At Harpers Ferry, you go through 3 states (MD, WV, and VA) and cross bridges near the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. People go tubing in the summer, and the Appalachian Trail HQ is there. There's a nice hike on the MD side to Maryland Heights, where there was a Parrot gun and charcoal-making during the Civil War.

I picked up WV-9/340S for 20 miles and then took VA-7W 13 miles to I-81. There is a lot of truck traffic on this divided highway with 2 lanes each way. I went 40+ miles and stopped at 7:00AM in Edinburg, VA for 4.5 gallons of gas, some OJ, a poptart, and a pack of wax covered chocolate donuts. This leg covered 134 miles. I had expected to get better than the observed 30 MPG since I normally get 50 MPG going to work.

South, I continued. Cross winds started gusting up to about 25 MPH. I went down I-81/W64 toward Lexington/Roanoke. At 9:15am, I was in Troutville, VA. 106 mile leg. 27 MPG. So far, 241 miles down--a little less than 1/4 of the trip after 4-1/4 hours.

There were leaves billowing into the air over the highway. The trucks were taking turns passing each other as one was going about 5 MPH faster and felt the need to be in the left lane. It was still cold outside. I would move my feet between the peg sets, lean forward jockey-style, lock my throttle when I could, and do other things to try to manage comfort. My destination was southwest, so I didn't need to wear sunglasses. I do have a strip of black electrical tape at the top of my visor to help block the sun, but didn't need it.

I carried an extra gallon of gas just in case, but ended up stopping about every 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours for gas and a much-needed stretch. With the mountains, trucks, and wind, my right hand needed a break since I was constantly having to work to maintain my speed.

(Continued)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 11-07-2009 at 02:38 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Full Ride Report (Part 2)

Full Ride Report (Part 2)

My next stop, at 11:43AM, after 169 miles, was in Bristol, VA. I got 40 MPG on this leg. There was an Arby's next door, so I paid for my order, hit the rest room, picked up my sandwich, and ate it while walking back to the bike. 410 miles so far. I must have passed 20 Virginia State Police cars running radar on I-81. I couldn't flip up the helmet to eat, as I've done before, due to the need to control the bike in these conditions.

Riding on, I took I-40W toward Knoxville, TN and then TN-66 toward Pigeon Forge. I sometimes laid my legs on top of the highway pegs, but had to be very careful getting them back off due to the wind blast. When you think Pigeon Forge, think Orlando: many brightly covered businesses with architecture designed to attract visitors; many seniors driving slowly. Traffic through Pigeon Forge was a time consumer. I started getting too warm going from light to light. The best part of the entire ride was the 5 minute cruise past Pigeon Forge and along the creek through the Smokey Mountains National forest toward Gatlinburg.

About 2PM, I was in Gatlinburg and found the Hard Rock Cafe. There was a $5 parking lot across the street. I put my gloves in my trunk, unzipped my jacket and liner and walked over. I got a T-shirt for me and the toddler. The Mrs said she didn't need one. I hit the rest room and left. I had covered 527 miles to this point. This leg: 117 miles, 39 MPG. There were some yellow jackets interested in the Gummi Bears in the cup velcroed to my radar box.

I got back on the bike and drove to the Exxon which wouldn't take the card I've been using. This wasn't a credit card company issue. Exxon did this to me on my Bunburner Gold 1500 miles in 24 hour ride before. I just used a different card. I headed out about 2:30PM, with my coat unzipped and glove-liners in the trunk. Back through the forest I drove, and back through the stoplight Hades called Pigeon Forge. I was at traffic light with a BMW with the passenger sporting a pink bow on her helmet. The rider asked, "Are you going to ride the Dragon?" I responded, "No. I have to ride back home; I have to be at work tomorrow!" The town had a nice flashing sign near the road construction that said "Go straight. Your GPS might be wrong." The other side of the road was completely closed now with a fire truck blocking the road. Good thing I hadn't left home an hour later. There was a huge backup.

As I got closer to 40E, I zipped up my jacket and flipped down my helmet's chin-bar. Back up to speed I went, to and up I-81N. My next stop was at 5:12PM in Marion, VA. 684 miles so far. 43.6 MPG this leg of 156 miles. I ate 1/2 of a ham sandwich. With darkness/cold coming, I put my glove liners back on and tightened my ankle, waist and wrist straps. There was an amazing amount of truck traffic. The weather was a bit warmer than on the way down. It took my full attention for a long period of time to manage the
curves, trucks, wind, and visibility.

148 miles later, at 7:46PM, I was in Lexington, VA. 40 MPG this leg. I ate the other half of my sandwich. 832 miles covered so far. I spoke briefly with an employee who was outside the building, about 20' from the pumps, smoking. I had several aches that cleared up when I stopped, but my right hand and wrist were bothering me. I took some Advil.

I should have had 2 Versys keys, one for the gas tank and one for the ignition. I needed my keys to open and close my trunk where I had my paperwork. I needed a key to unlock and lock the gas tank. I needed the ignition ON so I could get the time and odometer readings. Sometimes, I'd forget the odometer reading by the time I was done filling up and had to look again. Then lock the tank. Then lock the trunk.

When the RPMs got up near 5,500-6,000, my GPS would say "Power Lost", go on full-bright and prompt me--about every 10 minutes to continue running. I think the mount using the handlebar bolts transmits every vibration. Also, the metal base mount isn't cut away enough for the way the GPS sits in the RAM plastic mount. The USB connector gets bent. I kept pushing on it.

It was a dark night. I saw lightning to the west. Then the full moon came out from the clouds. Then it went away. Then it rained. The truck traffic had lightened up a bit, but a cold front was coming in. At 9:48PM, I stopped in Stephens City, VA, and pumped gas with strong winds blowing. This station had a Dunkin Donuts, but I only got my receipt to save time. This leg: 112 miles, 39 MPG, 945 miles total. I stopped here since I needed one more stop before going home, and I wanted it to be on I-81 where there are a lot of stations.

Continuing to retrace the route home, I came near Charlestown where I was pelted with sleet. I rode 25 MPH with my flashers on in hilly terrain. I called the Mrs for an air temperature reading, but we got cut off. I worked my way in tire tracks toward Harpers Ferry. She told me the air temp was in the 40s. I knew the precip would melt on the ground. Once I made it through Harpers Ferry and back into Maryland, the road was dry, and I was at cruising speed again.

I got back to I-70E heading toward the Baltimore Beltway. With light traffic, I was glad to use my bar-end throttle lock and to rest my right arm on the tank bag. I went North on 695 and then North on 795 to my exit. I pulled into the Exxon from which I started and went to the same pump. This time, it gave me a receipt. 11:58PM. 42.7 MPG during this leg of 106 miles. My GPS said 1,051 miles total. I updated my log, gave the receipt its #9 notation, and drove the 2 miles home.

When I got home, I was greeted with an open garage door and a cup of hot chocolate. It was a good ride. Back to work Friday.

Tony

Last edited by hdatontodo; 11-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Wow, that's a lot of interstate miles for a Versys! Sounds more like a Gold Wing trip.

Gatlinburg is a dump for tourists designed to quickly remove dollars from unsuspecting folks.

Having lived in your neck of the woods (Baltimore and Columbia, MD) and now living down here, no contest. The mountains down here rock!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Uh, good info.

I know your too much of a gentleman to ask , so here you go ....

** This space for rent **
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 AM

Oh yeah , back on topic , great report hdatontodo , that is some miles being eaten all right .

** This space for rent **
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
Oh yeah , back on topic , great report hdatontodo , that is some miles being eaten all right .
Well the off-topic part was pretty awesome too.

Tony
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 AM

Speaking of being eaten.....
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 AM

hadatontodo - you inspire me lol
do you do a lot of the Iron Butt stuff?

BlackHammer - yea your idea of off topic is allowed anyplace as far as I am concerned

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCop View Post
hadatontodo - you inspire me lol
do you do a lot of the Iron Butt stuff?
This is my 3rd Iron Butt ride. I haven't done one for a while, but the Versys was just asking for one--and I wanted a T-shirt.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode