Versys vs. Er-6n vs. Suzuki Bandit vs. Suzuki SV - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys vs. Er-6n vs. Suzuki Bandit vs. Suzuki SV

Hey I am a 5'5" girl who (has done some dirt biking), looking to start riding in the spring and can't decide which bike to go for! I am partial to The GREEN versys:P But not sure if...
1. Too Tall
2. Too High Center of Gravity
I know you can get a lowering kit, but spending the money...is that still better than going with the Er?

I like the fact that the Versys has a windscreen and more ferring than the Er, and wonder if the versys is a better bike?

I've also been looking at the Suzuki SV, Gladius, and Bandit, and Ducati 696 (few years older)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 PM

I am a 5'5" guy (or less) and I considered all the same bikes as you, particularly the er6n.
Eventually I went for the V and am glad I did. I rode it with the stock seat for a while, but eventually conceded I needed the lower seat, which is pretty darn good. Also went with the larger givi screen, which really does the trick. The best part about the V over the other bikes is the luggage availability, which I had fitted. I test rode the sv and the gladius and I think the V engine is better. Hardly any transmission snatch and a total joy to ride. Go with the V! I got the green one too!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM

If luggage is an issue; get the V, otherwise the ER6N would be easier for you (as would the Gladius if you like naked or the Ninja/SV if you like fairings).

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Can't speak to ALL the bikes, but the Bandit requires PREMIUM ($$$) fuel, the V 87 octane.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
If luggage is an issue; get the V, otherwise the ER6N would be easier for you (as would the Gladius if you like naked or the Ninja/SV if you like fairings).

Dave
The same Givi 3 case set up (V35 PLX side cases and top case of your choosing) will fit on the ER6N, Ninja 650R, Versys, Gladius, SV and others.

Personally I'm having a very hard time deciding between the Versys and the Ninja 650R. The Versys is such a great bike but the 650R has a certain feel... Mind you this is only from sitting on the two bikes in the showroom. I've yet to ride either one.

For me the Gladius and ER6N are out of the running because of the headlights and instruments. I just can't get used to that 'styling'.

Dave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
The same Givi 3 case set up (V35 PLX side cases and top case of your choosing) will fit on the ER6N, Ninja 650R, Versys, Gladius, SV and others.

Personally I'm having a very hard time deciding between the Versys and the Ninja 650R. The Versys is such a great bike but the 650R has a certain feel... Mind you this is only from sitting on the two bikes in the showroom. I've yet to ride either one.

For me the Gladius and ER6N are out of the running because of the headlights and instruments. I just can't get used to that 'styling'.

Dave

I'm sure the bags fit on the others, but assuming you buy a bike and intend to actually put stuff IN the bags, I'd be alot more comfortable with the Versys' additional reinforcement for the luggage.

Yeah, styling is subjective.......some people don't like the way the Versys looks! (hard to imagine, I know!)

Cheers,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I'd be alot more comfortable with the Versys' additional reinforcement for the luggage.

Cheers,
Dave

I had a look at the mounting instructions courtesy of Twisted Throttle, 4 vs 3 mounting points. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dave
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM

I think that at 5'5" you'd be better off looking at one of the lower and lighter bikes (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Gladius has the lowest of the ones mentioned originally), especially since this will be your first street bike. It will make your riding (and of course that includes stopping) more comfortable and thus much more enjoyable. Think about this; you are not always going to be on level ground out there on the street so sitting on one in the showroom is not the same as dealing with the world outside. The V, even lowered will still be too tall to be comfortable at stops when you have to worry about other drivers and everything else out on the streets. Maybe with some more experience it would work but why add another learning curve to the one you will be going through already. The bikes you listed are all good, just find the one that physically fits you the best; that will make your journey down the road much more enjoyable. Also, don't let ego (especially someone else trying to talk you into something you are not ready for) get in the way of a safe/good time.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 PM

I've only been riding about a year, but am not comfortable - ie, do not feel safe - unless both my feet can be flat on the ground when stopped. With a thin seat and a lowering kit, the Versys can be lowered to a seat height of 30 inches. That works for me, an inseam of 29-30 inches, and 5'-8", but may not be low enough for you.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 PM

If i'm not mistaken I think most dirt bikes have A higher seat hight than the V or around the same but less weight. I would recomend sitting on all the bikes your interested in see what feels best to you.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 AM

The SV is a great bike , easy to learn on and sporty enough , it may help if you give us more info , like how much $$$ are you willing to part with , you want new or used ( Duc not withstanding), what kind of riding do you want to do ( touring long days past whistler to Duffy Lake or cruising Robson St on friday nights ) . I would steer clear of an old ducati , parts and prices to maintain one can bury some people , and if your a new rider , the bike may get laid down as you learn .
Gladius is a short bike and easy to ride , the Verseys is a great bike all around so if you go new , see if you can get it lowered as part of the deal ( "I'll buy it today ....if"....... ) I have links to some good local bike forums in BC

** This space for rent **
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrush View Post
Hey I am a 5'5" girl who (has done some dirt biking), looking to start riding in the spring and can't decide which bike to go for! I am partial to The GREEN versys:P But not sure if...
1. Too Tall
I know you can get a lowering kit, but spending the money...is that still better than going with the Er?

I like the fact that the Versys has a windscreen and more ferring than the Er, and wonder if the versys is a better bike?

I've also been looking at the Suzuki SV, Gladius, and Bandit, and Ducati 696 (few years older)....
The Gladius is targeted specifically at your requirements. It also rated better than the new Ducati Monstor and ER in a recent magizine comparo although not everyone likes the styling. Suzuki SV is a great bike basically an older version of the Gladius but it is also a lot less comfortable with race style low bars - think you can buy bar raisers to raise these though. The Susuki VTwin is awesome with constant linear torque and no vibration which makes it easy to ride. I would think the Versys might be too tall for you. I have a 32 inseam and can just reach the ground with the normal seat. If you can, make sure you test drive a few of these before you buy. Also check out a used Kawasaki Ninja 500, there are lots of these on the market and they are comfortable with a semi upright riding position, reliable, almost as fast as the EN and very cheap to buy used plus the have a fairing and you can get a taller touring wind screen. (www.ex-500.com)

Last edited by twowheels; 12-30-2009 at 02:04 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 06:21 AM

in my opinion,

no way is the versys a bike for a woman.

although i have it and love it, it is high, and the center of gravity is high.

for a woman, i would recommend the honda rebel (which i had) or the suzuki boulevard (savage) s40, which is a 650 and very managible.

i can imagine rolling it on some uneven terrain, and when you put your foot down, a woman could not handle the weight comming down.

also, i have been on the er6 and thnk it would be a more friendly bike for a woman.

good luck in your choice.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrush View Post
1. Too Tall

Greenrush

Like someone mentioned, check out all of the ones you are interested in, perhaps at the Cycle Show at Attobsford in Jan. While I live in Seattle, that is where I first saw a Versys and liked it immeadiately.

I'm 5'6" and have lowered my V with the Speedy lowering block. I'm not flatfooted by any means, but I do feel in control. You stated that you have ridden dirt bikes before and most of them are tall. Did they cause a problem with your riding.

My inseam is 28" which may be a more telling figure. I've found many women at the same height with a longer inseam.

I also have an 01 Bandit 600 and find that the V feels lighter and it definitely handles better for me.

Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bandit, er-6n, suzuki, versys, what bike to get

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode