Cycle World magazine needs your help! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cycle World magazine needs your help!

We're putting the finishing touches on the Long-Term Wrap-Up of our 2008 Kawasaki Versys, and we would like to publish the opinions of a few Versys owners.

Please submit in one short paragraph your views of and any modifications made to your personal machine to [email protected]. Full name and city/state required.

Thank you in advance for your help.--Matthew Miles, Managing Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard, Matthew! I think we'll have more than enough material for you!

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

You'd expect a biased answer coming to a Versys forum and that's what you'll get!

Versys is the best bike of the dozen or so I have owned. Its fast, economical, easy to push around the garage, minimal heat even in 100+ temps, comfortable. Its great in the twisties and with the right rider it will keep up with the liter plus bikes until you get to the straight aways.

Its been two up motel ling and one up on extended camping trips, with an Airhawk and sheepskin its good for over 500 miles a day and I'm no kid.

I have over 22k miles on mine, fourth set of tires, original chain and sprockets. Done several thousand miles two and my significant other finds it comfortable and stable-a big factor for her two up riding.

What would I change, only to make the Euro ABS option available in the US.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Replied!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Sent.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Sorry, can't help you out. Don't know you, can't verify the e-mail addrress. As well, one post. I'm just not that trusting.

If you are from Cycle World then all you'll need to do is browse this site for about 10 mins and tell we like the bike. If you need more details than that 30 mins should do.

Forgive me if I'm just being paranoid but this site has had a lot of spam issues lately.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Big thanks to everyone who replied to my request. Great comments, all. Unfortunately, we only have space for three. Jim, Melanie and Dave: Look for your quotes in the February, 2010, issue. On newsstands January 5.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM

January ?!?! Gaaah!!! It'll be like a late Christmas Present. I've been dying to see how the V faired with CW. They do such great long-term reviews.

Matthew, very cool that you stopped in to get some owner perspective!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 PM

I can't verify his email address but I did find Matthew Miles listed on the Cycle World web site as managing editor (for whatever that is worth...could still be bogus).
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
I can't verify his email address but I did find Matthew Miles listed on the Cycle World web site as managing editor (for whatever that is worth...could still be bogus).

Doesn't matter, he's got what he needed...

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:44 PM

DANGit! I thought mine was pretty good...
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiles View Post
Big thanks to everyone who replied to my request. Great comments, all. Unfortunately, we only have space for three. Jim, Melanie and Dave: Look for your quotes in the February, 2010, issue. On newsstands January 5.
Woo Hoo!!!

Dave
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Red face

I am surprised people still buy magazines !! I used to pick up numerous ones in the old days , you know..... Before the internet . I can't recall the last magazine I bought ( no it wasn't Playboy ) Congrats you 3 , for being quoted in print ...

** This space for rent **
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
I am surprised people still buy magazines !! I used to pick up numerous ones in the old days , you know..... Before the internet . I can't recall the last magazine I bought ( no it wasn't Playboy ) Congrats you 3 , for being quoted in print ...
It's probably the fact a mag is a tangible asset. It's the same reason CDs are still a very popular music media. A lot of people prefer to trade something tangible for their money.

Not to mention for less than a 12 pack of beer Cycle World can be delivered via snail-mail to the house every month.

And... it's cheaper to have a stack of magazines in the bathroom than a stack of laptops.

I'm like you in that I've rarely bought single copies at the magazine rack. $5-$7/issue ? Insane. I pay that for a year of Motorcyclist mag delivered to my door.

Grats to the luck winners that got published!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
It's probably the fact a mag is a tangible asset. It's the same reason CDs are still a very popular music media. A lot of people prefer to trade something tangible for their money.

Not to mention for less than a 12 pack of beer Cycle World can be delivered via snail-mail to the house every month.

And... it's cheaper to have a stack of magazines in the bathroom than a stack of laptops.

I'm like you in that I've rarely bought single copies at the magazine rack. $5-$7/issue ? Insane. I pay that for a year of Motorcyclist mag delivered to my door.

Grats to the luck winners that got published!
I hear what your saying but , I haven't bought a cd since U2 came out , and in todays GoGreen world do we really need to pay even a small amount of money to read about something we can read about for free ?--- Example , this months issue has a 6 page review of Bike XX --- What if I don't even like bike XX or care to know anything about it , then I have to wait another month to see if they review a bike I do like ( hopefully) , this is too slow for todays world , I can Google Bike XX and have every spec and review at my fingertips in seconds. Plus Video , not provided by magazine , plus you get all the extra photos that didn't get published , also 3 "selected" opinions on the Verseys from a forum , why would I want to pay to read 3 possibly biased replies when I can go to Versey.com or verseysownersofarizona.net or countless other forums and get real time opinion , or see how the opinion changed over a year or more of ownership ?? Mags are on the way out , even Hef sold out , he knows ..........

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Cycle World has more subscribers than any motorcycle magazine IN THE WORLD!

I think its great that they 1) are aware of us and our Forum and 2) asked for our opinions.

We have a long non-riding season here in Wisconsin, and I like having a paper magazine to read by the fire in the fireplace on snowy winter evenings. I have been doing that on and off with my Cycle World since about 1969. I still have some of those issues.

I think an nice gesture would be for Cycle World to offer a free subscription to those whom they have quoted in their magazine.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Cycle World has more subscribers than any motorcycle magazine IN THE WORLD!

I think its great that they 1) are aware of us and our Forum and 2) asked for our opinions.

We have a long non-riding season here in Wisconsin, and I like having a paper magazine to read by the fire in the fireplace on snowy winter evenings. I have been doing that on and off with my Cycle World since about 1969. I still have some of those issues.

I think an nice gesture would be for Cycle World to offer a free subscription to those whom they have quoted in their magazine.
Just to be clear , I am not trying to insult Cycle World , I have read many issues over the years and enjoyed it , the point I am making is that the printed word seems to be dying out , I used Heffner as an example because Playboy was one of the world leading magazines , and consider that sales have plummeted in recent years , sure people were willing to wait untill the next issue to see a naked lady , but now you can look up on-line at exactly what you want ( blonde , red head , women in lace, etc...) and get thousands of pics and video in seconds , the same thing is happening with Newspapers , look how many are going bankrupt right now . I know what your saying about curling up by the fire , and been doing it since the 60's , but those days are slipping away sadly . Even the very fact that we are on this forum today is a great example , in the old days we just met riders along the road , or at gas stops , we only got ride reports from people we met and talked too personally , now we can follow a guy from Seattle to Argentina , with pictures and video of the bikes uploaded daily , and do so from a work camp in Russia or the outback of Australia , even a warship of the coast of Somalia........ or my bedroom . Magazine can't top that , to be fair it is not fun to curl up on a couch by a fire with a laptop (In my humble opinion ).

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM

No newspapers?!? Then how will I start the fire in my fireplace??? (and I don't need no stinkin' gas/ceramic logs!) ;o)
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM

So if this guy was a fake, and not a real CW editor... is he going to be able to steal your income, credit cards, and ruin your life by sending him an email about what you think about a motorcycle?

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
So if this guy was a fake, and not a real CW editor... is he going to be able to steal your income, credit cards, and ruin your life by sending him an email about what you think about a motorcycle?
Ya spins the wheel and ya takes ya chances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode