Brought home new Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brought home new Versys

I picked up my new 2012 V this afternoon. I like it but will want to make some changes to it. The grips are too small. I've got a little bit of arthritis in my hands and need fatter grips.

I stayed within 5k rpm on the way back. I couldn't go as low as 4k and keep up with traffic. There's a little bit of handlebar buzz in the 4k-5k range. Maybe some bar end weights would help.

I did run up to about 5300-5400 for about 15-20 seconds and there was fairly significant buzzing starting in the saddle. Not sure what can be done about that.

The horn is very weak. I'll want to change that.

The windscreen is very small. I'll want a larger one. There's a lot of noise and buffeting with the postage stamp screen on there now.

I want to add more lights front and back to be more conspicuous to others.

The pegs are a little high and a little rearward to be most comfortable.

The seat is too high and I'll probably want the lowering kit for it.

I need, want that is, some bags but don't know whether I want soft or hard bags.

This is from a ride of about 48 miles, mostly highway, from the dealer to the house. I'm sure I'll come to more definitive thoughts as time and miles go by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Stebel Nautilus Horn
MotoWerk Peg Lowering Blocks
MotoWerk Anti-Vibe Bar Risers
MotoWerk Lowering Kit

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 PM

5000 rpm???? the bike is much better up in the 6500 to 7000 range

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
LDB

That may be but the break in says 4k for 500 miles then 6k for 500 miles if I remember correctly.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
That may be but the break in says 4k for 500 miles then 6k for 500 miles if I remember correctly.
i wish I had bought mine new so I could break it in right instead of going by the manual. actually, it may have been done right as the first owner was very knowledgeable, as I learned from a friend of his. he died of cancer and his wife was selling his collection of vintage bmw's and aprilla's and one versys. it feels very strong in any case.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by dspark52; 05-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 PM

grats on the new bike

I put on knurled oxford heated grips, they're a little fatter due to having integrated heat elements

think I put on a low tone wolo horn just to get rid of the meep meep, a little louder, but not tons...just sounds better

I like the MRA Kawi windscreen but there's several worth a look

I just slap some soft bags on to it when I need to but prefer them off if not necessary, looks much cleaner
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 PM

I also have a '12 (Black). See if you can find some Grabon foam grips. You can sometimes find them in shops or off ebay. They are larger in diameter and also help with vibration. If you ride on the highway much you might want a 16T front sprocket which will lower rpm on highway and reduce vibration.

Harbor Freight sells a Chinese knock-off of the Stebel. Very loud but requires a relay.

Set the sag. Check the chain adjustment. Ride the bike awhile before changing everything.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
LDB

Is it easier to swap out the front sprocket or the back?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 AM

LDB: Definitely the front! I guess you would like to go from 15 to 16?

Anders B.
Sweden
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I stayed within 5k rpm on the way back. I couldn't go as low as 4k and keep up with traffic. There's a little bit of handlebar buzz in the 4k-5k range. Maybe some bar end weights would help.

I did run up to about 5300-5400 for about 15-20 seconds and there was fairly significant buzzing starting in the saddle. Not sure what can be done about that.
That is a succinct description of the Versys. It takes a great deal of owner modification to begin bonding with a Versys.and
As far as break-in goes, you may find this interesting: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm no diplomat
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 AM

Awesome Horn See Post #23 here.

Grip Puppies for larger diameter grips. Been using mine for four years. Love them!

More Lights

Another Brake Light

Make them flash!

Making it yours!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
LDB

I've heard that break in argument before. It's certainly debatable.

I do want to add more lights soon and I like the gizmo to make them flash too. Hopefully I can find some really good LED's that can just plug and play.

I had a high/low pair of FIAMM horns on a couple of bikes back in the 70's. They were pretty much air horn loud without the compressor etc. and I'd like to duplicate that if possible.

Grip Puppies look like just the thing. I've emailed them asking about ordering direct.

Moto Werks has a few pieces that I probably want to add.

I do want to see about going to a 16T front. Anyone know how much change that makes?

Still looking at all the options for windshields and bags.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx3CN0hoPo ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMxj...6b3MGFO1kAx7j9

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
LDB: Definitely the front! I guess you would like to go from 15 to 16?
In my opinion, definitely the rear!

I just changed my sprockets, the front is PITA to break loose, even with a 3' breaker bar, and you need to torque it down to 92 ft-lbs. My torque wrench maxes out at about 80 ft-lbs. It's also super helpful to have someone else there (preferably big) to hold down the brake pedal while you remove/install the front sprocket nut.

Congrats on the new bike! You'll love it. All the things you mentioned, you'll be able to address...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:57 AM

I changed my front out in about 30 mintes. There is some guy on ebay selling the Stebel 138 db horn for $25 shipping included. Only down side is it is coming from China. Even includes the relay.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Welcome, hope you enjoy your new Versys!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
LDB

It will be at least a week until I can take a decent outdoor photo but here's one until then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140526_114027.jpg (79.4 KB, 37 views)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
It will be at least a week until I can take a decent outdoor photo but here's one until then.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Re: break-in

I found the prescribed break-in instructions in the manual to be impossibly tame. Once warmed up I rode it pretty hard, plenty of acceleration surges and engine braking. I changed the oil once at 80mi, again at 500mi, and once more at 1000mi. I don't find it possible to adhere to the manual in this area personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode