Group Buy on Spoked Wheels - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Group Buy on Spoked Wheels

In my quest for a 19" front wheel for my Versys I thought about calling a Dirtbike wheel company that I have bought wheels for my dirtbikes in the past. Bob from Rad Manufacturing in Utah said that he would make a front 19" all I would have to do is ship my cast 17" and he could make a hub for it and lace up whatever size of rim I wanted.

The only problem is that for only one it would cost aprox. 1,000$ which is about twice as much as usual for a wheel asembly, but he said if he could make around ten of them his price would come down to about the same as a standard wheel.

I was wondering how much interest there would be in spoked wheel's, and if there is anyone in Utah that would be willing to let Bob use there wheels for measurements.

If I get some numbers, then I can go back to Bob and negotiate a price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 AM

I am seriously looking at fitting my bike with spoke wheels, but was hoping to find something a bit cheaper off of ebay.... I would love to go in with you on them, but I can't justify $1k for a set of wheels until I've exhausted every attempt to graft something cheaper..... I wonder what he'd charge for just the hub ? I wonder if Tallon would make them and what they'd charge ?....... They'd look sweet though...... I seem to remember Chaparral having a wheel section in their catalog...... Good luck, Maybe I'll come on board in a few months after I'm fed up with looking, and a little further down the road on the mods and want to get the bike finished and looking good.... At the very least, maybe a rear hub or wheel, I'm sure I can graft a front.
I don't know where in Utah he's located, but I'm next door in Nevada....... One other thing, you'd have to check the clearance from the larger wheel/tire assy to the bottom of the triple clamp, and the wheel to the Radiator

Last edited by crspep; 11-03-2009 at 01:47 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 AM

yep the search continues

i too like many are looking for a spoke 17" and 19" combo to fit a more offroad friendly shoes. there has to be a better option then a 1000 for one wheel.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
The answer is looking for a used OEM spoked wheel.

The question is finding out what will fit.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM

The answer is on this forum ... I was able to put a Vstrom 1000 front wheel on the front of my versys with very little modification ... here is the link and photos ...

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ersys%20Album/

And here is the link to the thread ...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...l1000+ft+wheel

Last edited by freewheeler; 11-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
FJS

Are those spoke wheels tt or tl type? If tt, not really worth the cost, better off with a used KLR as an addition for off road or dual duty, after all, the V is a on road bike.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspep View Post
I am seriously looking at fitting my bike with spoke wheels, but was hoping to find something a bit cheaper off of ebay.... I would love to go in with you on them, but I can't justify $1k for a set of wheels until I've exhausted every attempt to graft something cheaper..... I wonder what he'd charge for just the hub ? I wonder if Tallon would make them and what they'd charge ?....... They'd look sweet though...... I seem to remember Chaparral having a wheel section in their catalog...... Good luck, Maybe I'll come on board in a few months after I'm fed up with looking, and a little further down the road on the mods and want to get the bike finished and looking good.... At the very least, maybe a rear hub or wheel, I'm sure I can graft a front.
I don't know where in Utah he's located, but I'm next door in Nevada....... One other thing, you'd have to check the clearance from the larger wheel/tire assy to the bottom of the triple clamp, and the wheel to the Radiator
I have my front fender raised 38mm which gives me 50mm between the fender and my 17" front tire which is 603mm in diameter and a 110/80-19 is 664 mm in Dia. which is 61 mm taller overall but you only have half of that to worry about on top which is 30.5mm which should give me a little extra room at raising it 38mm for different profiles of tires etc. I did drop my front forks 10 mm in the triple clamps to make extra room for the raised front fender.

I was thinking of getting just a 19" front wheel assembly for the front with a D/S tire for the back roads and changing to my stock 17" for long road rides.

For just the front one and only one for me, Bob said it would cost 1000$ but if we could get 10 people interested in ordering the cost would come down to aprox. 500$ and if we could only get 5 orders then it would be somewhere in between. the biggest thing is he hast to justify the extra time and effort in setting up the CNC machine and the cost etc.

He also said it would have to be done over the winter because in the spring he gets too busy with the dirt bike wheels and wouldn't have time to do any custom stuff.

It doesnt take hardly any time to switch front wheels and I think a more aggressive spoked wheel in 19" would be just the ticket for back road/light off road riding and if your going to do a lot of pavement just slip on the stock rim with a distanza or Shinko705 on. I just don't think the wide front tire is as good as a narrower front for gravel and dirt, and the spoked tires will hold up to the abuse better when you air down.

I think he would just sell the hubs, but figure that I would use his spokes and rims because they are top quality but you could use other spokes or rims if you wanted. I also know that you can get the parts loose and lace them up yourself and save some money, that is what I want to do because I know how to do it and usually end up taking apart new wheels and putting anti-seize on the spoke threads so that they don't end up seizing up a couple of years down the road.

Bob says that he is only two hours north of Las Vegas on the way to Salt lake, so right in your back yard. It would be great if you were interested and willing to use your bike for measurements, that way I wouldn't have strip my tires off and mail them down there which would be a pain not to mention the extra cost.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
FJS

Hey Crude, was talking with a friend the other day about your idea and he liked it, to try and convert the V for dual duty as it is more rugged than the KLR and motor as well.

How much off duty do you want to do with the V? I ask as I came accross some Avon Distancia's with 17" front and rear combo that would enable to do more off duty than regular tires, just a FYI kind of thing without that huge cost.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I am running a 17" front Distanza now and a 150-70-17 rear now and like it, but the small wide front tire is good until you get into the loose or soft stuff then it wants to plow rather than roll. The best would be to go to a 21" front tire but there isnt enough room so a 19" should be a lot better than the 17". I don't think that I will ride it on more than easy stuff and only when it's dry. But my version of easy is probably a lot different than some others, I am already riding it on some of our easer sigal track trails and it does good but it would do better with a bigger front tire. I mostly gust want it so that I can run gravel roads and do the odd easy trail in the mountains, logging roads etc. kind of what a guy would expect to do on a large dual sport.

Last edited by Crude; 11-06-2009 at 10:21 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I might of used the wrong word to explain, but I find the smaller Dia. wheel and also wider is better at staying on top of the soft stuff and doesn't want to cut into the ground and be able to steer as good as a skinner and taller tire. We have a lot of gravel roads that are used quite a bit buy the oilfield trucks that haul on them all the time thus they are constantly grading them and the gravel is lots of time very loose and deep, and that is one of the places that a bigger skinner front tire helps. Also a larger front tire also helps in roling over the rough stuff and holes in the trail etc.

I have had a couple of experiences that I get this opinion from and one of them is from off road trucking in muddy conditions, Some heavy hauler trucks have to run extra wide front tires because of weight and in the mud they don't sink in they just float on top and it helps in not getting stuck but I find that they just cant turn because they don't sink in enough to bite.

I also used to have a DRZ super motard that I got an extra 19" front wheel and ran DS knobbies on them in the winter and the summer. In the summer riding on the gravel I noticed that riding with a buddy with 18-21" rubber he was way more stable in the loose stuff than I was, he could almost ride with one hand while I was holding on with both and having a harder time, granted that he had full knobbys and mine were not as aggressive DOT T.C.K's but I don't think that would make as much as a difference from what I was feeling. This same bike I rode on the Ice in the winter with studs and had the advantage over my buddy with the smaller wider tires on clean ice, but as soon as there was loose snow on the ice he had the advantage. If we went off the ice and into the fields in loose snow it was all over for me. I know this is a lot different than mud but in the same way I found riding dirt bikes in the winter up here with studded tire is almost exactly like riding in mud in the summer once the snow gets deep enough.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but over the years I have come to these conclusions from my experiences. You probably wouldn't notice this unless you had another bike riding the same surface to compare it too, also I should also mention that these are observations with smaller lighter dirt bikes not on 400 plus pound bikes but I think that they should be similar.

I think a 21" front would be the best but for my intended purpose I will settle on a 19" on the front because I don't think there is enough room in the front without changing the front forks.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
FJS

Cool

Sorry Crude but this sounds like the perfect excuse to get another bike

Sounds like you want a 21", that you want the off road capability of such as on your katoom, that would lead you to that direction MHO.

Look at a middle weight DS with a 21", I believe the only one is the beemer 800 GS but it's a start. or a katoom 690 adventure or other.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

New bike

I would love a new bike but my wife would shoot me. I should of got a D/S bike when I sold my Cruiser but I got such a good deal on this Versys that I couldn't pass it up. It was almost new and hardly ever ridden because it was bought new for a guy's wife up in the city and she never rode it and he just wanted to get rid of it.

If I got a new D/S bike I would have to fiddle with it also because like my wife says, I just cant leave anything alone I always have to Tim Talor it. More Power ah.ah.ah.

If I cant get enough guys interested in a 19" spoked front tire I might go with a V-Strom wheel but cant get a used one up here and they want like 700$ up here at the stealership. I found a used one on e-bay but he wont ship to Canada and then you have to buy bearings,spacers, and break rotors.

If I could get close to five guys interested in spoked wheels I would try and see if the price would be better. and in the long run would be cheaper than v-strom route because I could use my stock break rotors. I was thinking of going to only using one break on the front for each wheel assembly. It would make swapping tires easier, and wouldn't have to buy two new rotors, just not sure if the breaks would be strong enough. I figure that one would be enough for my use because I always ride in the middle of nowhere and seldom in any big centers.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
Hey Crude, was talking with a friend the other day about your idea and he liked it, to try and convert the V for dual duty as it is more rugged than the KLR and motor as well.

How much off duty do you want to do with the V? I ask as I came accross some Avon Distancia's with 17" front and rear combo that would enable to do more off duty than regular tires, just a FYI kind of thing without that huge cost.

Read my report on Adventure riding in Morocco. I used the Distanzias on pretty severe pistes.
Interesting conclusion.
Ted.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99uk View Post
Read my report on Adventure riding in Morocco. I used the Distanzias on pretty severe pistes.
Interesting conclusion.
Ted.
hmm... where can said report be found?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

If you click on ted99uk's name then on find all posts by him you can find them, no pic.s but his partner posted some on a G.S site and there is a link to follow on the other topic.

I read it and it sounded like quite the adventure, I wasent surprized about him having trouble with the rear Distanza because of the soft compound of the S.M tires, but they do grip realy well. I was thinking he could of run the Metzeler Karoo 2 like his buddy, would just have to raise his front tire and run a rear 130/80-17 on the front which shouldent be a problem finding in Europe.

Last edited by Crude; 11-08-2009 at 11:05 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Cool

Alright Crude, I'm interested in what Rad can do for me on these wheels, I'm going to try to schedule some time to make a run up there to see him, and I'll bring my wheels along so he can measure them up even if I don't buy from him. Although, it looks like I'll have to deal with him if I want this to turn out like I want it too...... I am going to have to verify that my wheels are identical to the versys since mine are actually ninja 650r wheels....

Last edited by crspep; 11-08-2009 at 09:22 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Very cool.

I was hoping that you would be interested. I appreciate you doing the legwork and taking your wheels up to Rad.

I have one guy interested in a 19" front from Adventure Rider, I will let him know that you volunteered to use your wheels. That brings us to three wheels and I would hope that we could find a couple more. I think that I could buy two on speculation that I could sell the other later, to get the price down, or a set front and rear if that would help.

Let us know how you make out, I am hoping that they might match up to something he is already producing for dirt bikes that would fit, then we wouldn't need a whole bunch of people to bring the price down.

Thanks Again.
Darryl.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 AM

I'm doing some stuff to my bike that might help you out in your quest, however, waiting for parts sure slows things down a bunch. I'll send the info your way as soon as I can get it together..... Not sure how soon I can get the road trip going to Utah, but I'll post whatever info I can get.... Looking forward to it though.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 PM

19 inch front wheel

Called a rim company in CA about building front 19 for the V. Problem was the cost. Anyone find a cure, count me in. Prefer spokes.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I got an e-mail from Bob the other day, and he said that someone is sending a set of Versys wheels up to him right away from California so I am hoping to get some info soon. He also said that there should be enough interest to put these into production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode