Get a versys 1000 on good price or continue saving for 10S ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Get a versys 1000 on good price or continue saving for 10S ?

Hello,

There is a good deal around for a versys 1000 2012 for 7950 usd....do you think I should go for it or I should rather continue saving for a super tenere?

For the time being I am keeping my 2008 versys for the summer tour in Europe with my wife...I was imagining that most likely I will upgrade upon my return from the trip...

The S10 runs for 12k plus used....

Any thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
If i was planning on going off-road a lot i'd do the S10 if mostly slab then i'd jump all over that V1000 ...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Second thought at that price I'd just have to go for the V1000

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM

Have you had the opportunity to test ride a 1000?

I could name ten different bikes I love to look at only to find when you ride them they aren't what you had hoped.

Would you have buyers remorse if you choose to pass on one for the other?

What type of riding are you interested in doing?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I don't think I will go off roading...may be exceptionally if I get lost and the rest will be roads and pavement...

Both have abs and traction control which is great...the only edge for S10 is the braking management system that balances both front and rear...

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Have you had the opportunity to test ride a 1000?

I could name ten different bikes I love to look at only to find when you ride them they aren't what you had hoped.

Would you have buyers remorse if you choose to pass on one for the other?

What type of riding are you interested in doing?
I tested S10 and i liked it though I felt it was really big but then may be because i am used to the versys 650...
Off roading will be a rare activity for me

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

ok now I have added a Vstrom 2014 for 9500 USD to the list....this thing is driving me crazy now...
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
ok now I have added a Vstrom 2014 for 9500 USD to the list....this thing is driving me crazy now...
Thats a good price..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thats a good price..
yeah it is a family member who is in Canada and does his best to get me the best proposals....now what to decide, Vstrom 1000 has so many features that I find in s10...my wife has no preference provided we travel as much as possible

Last edited by Purificator; 05-22-2014 at 04:53 AM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 PM

I know reviews by so called experts aren't always gospel but here is an article I just read recently.
On the other hand the Versys 1000 didn't get all rave reviews but I absolutely love it.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...t-impressions/

2013 Versys1000
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If you are going to tour, I would recommend the Tenere manly because of the shaft drive and cruise control. Once you have had a bike with cruise control and shaft drive, it is hard to tour without them.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Garage
I think the V Strom is a mix of both bikes. And its a twin, for me that's a plus, easier to work on, less to break etc.. I echo what twowheels said about shaft drive, on the tenere Ive heard nothing but great things about it.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
for 8k uSD i would buy it now

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you are going to tour, I would recommend the Tenere manly because of the shaft drive and cruise control. Once you have had a bike with cruise control and shaft drive, it is hard to tour without them.
I have the 20 USD cruise control tool that maintains the speed :P however, for the shaft drive I agree, though I don't see the maintenance of chain as a major issue...I was doing it each night after my daily trip during my 10,000km trip in Europe last summer...

I am still not decided yet and I need to pull the trigger quickly...so far

V1000: many people has said that versys 650 have more fun in it than the V1000 but yet so many interesting features in the V1000 (mainly comfort, abs, TC)

Vstrom 2014: many people say that it is not a fun bike at all and that the engine is boring and the exhaust is not good for luggage set up (but yet it is full of features that make it a good tourer for two up)

Super tenere: no complains except the price which is a factor for me...

Last edited by Purificator; 05-22-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Nothing on your profile says where you are from but a used 2012 S10 can be had around here for around $10,000. If that is what you are looking for dont settle for a Kawasaki...by the time you make up for all the build quality differences to bring it to Yamaha standards...

I'm no diplomat
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Nothing on your profile says where you are from but a used 2012 S10 can be had around here for around $10,000. If that is what you are looking for dont settle for a Kawasaki...by the time you make up for all the build quality differences to bring it to Yamaha standards...
In Morocco we usually import from Europe (especially France, Italy and Belgium) where they count in Euro....the problem is that 10000 USD for a used 2012 S10 is a 10000 Euro for a used 2012 S10...while Euro is 1.36 USD...that is 13600 USD....importing from Canada is the best deal so far whereby 1USD = 1,09 CAD and given that I can ship it from there for amost free then I save A LOT...
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
In Morocco we usually import from Europe (especially France, Italy and Belgium) where they count in Euro....the problem is that 10000 USD for a used 2012 S10 is a 10000 Euro for a used 2012 S10...while Euro is 1.36 USD...that is 13600 USD....importing from Canada is the best deal so far whereby 1USD = 1,09 CAD and given that I can ship it from there for amost free then I save A LOT...
Will you be doing most of the maintenance? I would think about the better build quality if you are. You don't want to have to spend extra money shipping in parts.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Will you be doing most of the maintenance? I would think about the better build quality if you are. You don't want to have to spend extra money shipping in parts.
Good point...labour is really cheap, parts could be imported from europe but then it is a Yamaha and except the case of accidents/ drops/ etc I wouldn't expect huge requirements for spare parts (excluding the "consumables" )
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I ended up dropping the three deals....my wife suggested to me to try first my current versys during our trip...if it works well for two up full luggage then we will keep it until it is fully amortized...if not then there are so many bikes on this planet to strike other good deals next year....

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I ended up dropping the three deals....my wife suggested to me to try first my current versys during our trip...if it works well for two up full luggage then we will keep it until it is fully amortized...if not then there are so many bikes on this planet to strike other good deals next year....

True..I got my FJR thinking it would be better for 2-up. But the girlfriend likes being on the back of the Versys better and the Versys handled better in the twisties 2-up. I plan on keeping the FJR about a year and then get something else.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode