Lowering seat height - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowering seat height

What are the options for a lower seat height? I'm 5'9" on a good day with around 30.5" inseam. Back in the 70's when I started riding it seemed like most bikes weren't too big. Now it seems like most are designed for NBA players. What can be done and at what cost? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 AM

Garage
The lowering block from Motowerks is the answer you want. Its 127$ and super easy to install.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 AM

Garage
I don't know how long you've had your V, but a little more time on the bike may make the difference for you. I'm the same size as you and found the Versys to be like sitting on a tower compared to my Ninja 250. It took a month or 2 to get used to the height, but I love it now and there is no way I'd lower it.

My 2 cents.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 05-21-2014 at 08:18 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
The lowering block from Motowerks is the answer you want. Its 127$ and super easy to install.
I bought that, and also the kickstand foot. Cut off an inch and a half or so (per instructions) of the kick stand with a hacksaw and installed the foot.

You also need to drop the fork tubes in the triple trees by about an inch.

Total cost was about $186, if I remember correctly.

Like the bike much better now.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM

I’m running the lowering block w/ kickstand kit along with a reshaped seat. The block was easy to install and works great, but oddly, the reshaped seat probably did more to drop me down. I probably gained at least an inch and a half just with the seat, plus I don’t slide forward now. If I had do-overs, I would probably just do the seat job and keep the ground clearance where it was. It is comfortable though. I can easily flat foot both sides with an inseam of around 31-32 inches.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
MotoWerks Lowering Kit or this....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=56194 ..or both..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Just as a side note, I have purchased the lowering block, kickstand foot thing, the peg blocks, and the steering riser from Motowerks and they are all real nice stuff. Super well thought out products and they ship fast.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 PM

I put on Speedy's lowing kit about a month ago. Have had my 2012 for right at a year now. Wish I'd lowered the back A LONG TIME AGO!! I have a MIG welder, so cut my kick stand foot off with a .045" x 4" cutting disc fitted to my grinder. Then went to work reshaping the fit so the factory foot is now flat to the floor AND the tilt is pretty close to what it was from the factory. I have a 28" inseam and am now no longer on my tippy toes at a stop. Still on the balls of my feet though..... >sigh< I found NO NEED to lower the front forks. The V used to dive into slow speed turns at the factory rake/trail. Now it is a little slower and IMO, much nicer. (I don't plan on doing much singletrack in the woods anyway, so such a quick steering factory setting wont be missed.) A new seat is next on my farkle list. Mostly for comfort, but if I gain enough to eventually be flat footed at stops.... It will finally be adjusted to fit my smallish frame. I highly recomend the lowing kit. Especially if your going to be on roads 90+ % of the time. If your going for off road powress,.... you might want to keep the suspension bits stock and just go with a better/lower seat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
I put on Speedy's lowing kit about a month ago. Have had my 2012 for right at a year now. Wish I'd lowered the back A LONG TIME AGO!! I have a MIG welder, so cut my kick stand foot off with a .045" x 4" cutting disc fitted to my grinder. Then went to work reshaping the fit so the factory foot is now flat to the floor AND the tilt is pretty close to what it was from the factory. I have a 28" inseam and am now no longer on my tippy toes at a stop. Still on the balls of my feet though..... >sigh< I found NO NEED to lower the front forks. The V used to dive into slow speed turns at the factory rake/trail. Now it is a little slower and IMO, much nicer. (I don't plan on doing much singletrack in the woods anyway, so such a quick steering factory setting wont be missed.) A new seat is next on my farkle list. Mostly for comfort, but if I gain enough to eventually be flat footed at stops.... It will finally be adjusted to fit my smallish frame. I highly recomend the lowing kit. Especially if your going to be on roads 90+ % of the time. If your going for off road powress,.... you might want to keep the suspension bits stock and just go with a better/lower seat.

I lowered the front end when i installed the lowering kit but put the front end back to the stock position. Liked it much better that way..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Garage
When I bought my lowering block, I had ordered a ninja 650 kickstand off ebay. I did not want to cut the stock kickstand. a couple of emails with motowerks, since I had ordered the plain flatfoot not cut stand foot. They made sure I got the right product the first time. Then I ordered the handlebar riser. I got the peg lowering from another user here. Motowerks has great customer service..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 07:35 PM

+1 Ninja 650 kick stand and the lowering block combo.

Crap I've bolted on...(that didn't vibrate off) thanks Versys Forum
Speedy's lowering kit
Fuzeblocks' block
BadBoy Horn
Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag
Givi- PLX447,V46, D405ST
Renthal 44t rear sprocket
Spiegler front and rear lines
Nuvi 550
Homemade/Ram GPS mount
Silvania Silverstar Ultra high/low
Seat Concepts (foam and cover)
Aprilia mirrors
Aerostitch heated grips (Florida does have 1 cold day per year)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 PM

I installed the lower kit & flatfoot too about two months ago.. Not sure I like it yet. The bike is easier to handle at stop lights and I even think the ride is improved. I feel more comfortable cornering too. But!!!! It just doesn't look like the V I bought. The high rear end was a signature feature. Now it looks all squat like a Suzuki...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode