Phone/GPS Mounts and Waterproof Cases - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Phone/GPS Mounts and Waterproof Cases

Under the tech category there has been discussion on best GPS systems. Assuming I am going to use an IPhone 5, what are the best options of mounting kits and waterproof cases.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Under the tech category there has been discussion on best GPS systems. Assuming I am going to use an IPhone 5, what are the best options of mounting kits and waterproof cases.
Good choice with the iPhone 5. It is one of the best GPSs going.

As far as the cases, there are many. There are probably 40 different brands available. OtterBox is probably as good as you are going to find, but it is the most expensive.

http://www.otterbox.com/Preserver-Se...efault,pd.html

Look at the link below, I have had good luck with these. They even stay in place on my dirtbike.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/App...8/Default.aspx

Last edited by jmarleau; 05-19-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I just bought a tank bag that has a GPS and smartphone pocket. How do you use your smartphone when there are no cell towers around? Can you download maps? Then you also have to have a large data plan?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM

Ultimate Addons, available through BuyBits.com, has the best set-up for iPhones on bikes, IMHO. I ditched the handlebar mount and got the RAM mount. My 4s was on the bike as it stood in 2 hours of driving rain--it was raining sideways, even. Phone was bone dry.

The only flaw I know of is that the connector from the phone end may be a little weak. Mine broke after about a year and a half of heavy use. I ordered 2 to replace it, so naturally this one has been fine. A friend saw mine and got one, and he thinks it is the best farkle he has.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How do you use your smartphone when there are no cell towers around? Can you download maps? Then you also have to have a large data plan?
Ok... one more time.

?#1 No. You can't make a phone call where there are no cell towers around, but the GPS function of the phone communicates with GPS satellites. You can't use Google maps, because that app (software) requires constant streaming of data that you would have to stream from those aforementioned towers. Google Maps does not store the maps on your phone. However there are many apps that simply install the required maps in bulk, so no data connection with the towers is needed. The technical term is on-line maps (Google Maps) off-line maps (GPS CoPilot + many others)

?#2 Yes. Anything you want. But be carefull. North America is almost 2 GB. That's not a big deal if you have a phone with 32GB, but some people just download the parts they need and save storage space for something else.. Like pictures, or music. Why download a map of Alaska if your touring Maine?

?#3 No. All smartphones are WIFI connected. So you can download these maps at home, or at a coffee shop.

There are forum members here who upgrade their old iPhone 4 to a new 5, and use the old iPhone 4 as their bike GPS. They are not activated, and can no longer make phone calls because they are not associated with towers anymore. These become simply iPod Touches, but with GPS receivers. With the riders preferred off-line maps installed, they are the best GPSs going. IMHO.

I have an iPhone so I tend to use the word iPhone here, but there are incredible Andriod Phones out there that are arguably better than Apple. Check out the new fancy Galaxy S5. Fully waterproof, without the case.

Last edited by jmarleau; 05-19-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I've used a Garmin, Blackberry's and IPhone 4's in the past with the free mapping programs for car use, and all worked fine, including incoming voice commands. Yesterday I installed the MotionX Drive app and it's hands down one of the best mapping programs I have ever used. As Jmarleau indicated, you can keep your cell service off and download only the map (State, States, or route) you want from wifi, and while driving it only accesses the GPS satellites, not cell towers. there is currently a live thread on this under technical mods I believe. Cost of this is only $0.99, but you only get 1 month of incoming voice commands and voice direction input, so it ends up cosing you another $9.00 per year to keep that part of it. You can literally see your location moving around in your yard on the birdeye view. It has virtually everything you would want from a high end GPS unit, and you can still use it for your phone and music center. I'm going to use my old IPhone 4 that got bricked from an update or buy another one just to use for my GPS so I don't have to worry about getting my main phone ripped off.

rayj
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:11 PM

I use the Ram X mount and a Lifeproof case for my Galaxy S4. Otterboxes are very nice along with some of the Iphone Pelican cases.

I was worried that the Ram mount might not be able to hold the Galaxy due to it's size when in the case BUT It's not letting go!

This the the mount kit I got.

Link to Ram Mount

And the Pelican Iphone box, this mug looks like it'll take a real beating and keep on ticking, sorry Timex. Sadly this model case only works with certain Iphone 5 models.

Link to Pelican

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Ok... one more time.

?#1 No. You can't make a phone call where there are no cell towers around, but the GPS function of the phone communicates with GPS satellites. You can't use Google maps, because that app (software) requires constant streaming of data that you would have to stream from those aforementioned towers. Google Maps does not store the maps on your phone. However there are many apps that simply install the required maps in bulk, so no data connection with the towers is needed. The technical term is on-line maps (Google Maps) off-line maps (GPS CoPilot + many others)

?#2 Yes. Anything you want. But be carefull. North America is almost 2 GB. That's not a big deal if you have a phone with 32GB, but some people just download the parts they need and save storage space for something else.. Like pictures, or music. Why download a map of Alaska if your touring Maine?

?#3 No. All smartphones are WIFI connected. So you can download these maps at home, or at a coffee shop.

There are forum members here who upgrade their old iPhone 4 to a new 5, and use the old iPhone 4 as their bike GPS. They are not activated, and can no longer make phone calls because they are not associated with towers anymore. These become simply iPod Touches, but with GPS receivers. With the riders preferred off-line maps installed, they are the best GPSs going. IMHO.

I have an iPhone so I tend to use the word iPhone here, but there are incredible Andriod Phones out there that are arguably better than Apple. Check out the new fancy Galaxy S5. Fully waterproof, without the case.

Actually Google Maps just released an update a couple of days ago...

Quote:
What's New in Version 3.0.1

New features
• Turn-by-turn navigation now gives lane guidance and quick access to route overview
• View travel time, distance, and estimated arrival all at once in navigation mode
• Save offline maps to a custom list for when you're traveling or have a slow connection
• Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
• Filter search results for restaurants, bars and hotels by rating, price, opening hours, and more
• Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
• If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options
So might have to plan your route prior to save the maps, but it the feature is available now.

Last edited by Gigitt; 05-19-2014 at 06:32 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 AM

You could spend a small fortune on all the mounts already linked.... or...

You could get this for less than $11 that works great, even in the rain, I use it all the time with my 5s.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRA334K/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Question - when your iphone is in a waterproof case, how do you touch the screen and scroll through the map?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Question - when your iphone is in a waterproof case, how do you touch the screen and scroll through the map?
The one I linked you just press the clear plastic and it works just like you were just touching your phone since it is just a thin film. Some of the hard plastic Pelican type cases, that isn't going to work.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM

I was thinking of getting the givi tank bag with the window on the top, but I don't think it will fit my note 3. I have tried asking givi for the dimensions of the case pocket, but every time they ask me to hold, and disconnect me through chat.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Ian, I just got the OEM bag Kaw now makes for the V, and it has a zip out window area, but I have to put the phone in sideways. The GPS auto orients to landscape, but the plastic is to thick to be able to opetate the screen. You can have it set and just let run, but can't make changes unless you pull over. I guess voice commands mike work is wired up. Also, be careful on the bag layout. Mine has the window area so close to my body that it is not safe to look down while moving. That's the reason I'm lookng for some type of mounting system. If AlaskaJeff is out there, have you found the same problem with the window on the OEM bag?

rayj
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM

The Lifeproof case I have has a clear film over the phone that I can swipe through without a problem. Lifeproof make a case for the iPhone 5 as well as my Galaxy S4. Be warned they are NOT cheap at all.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5/

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Zatx. I thought this was gong to be another $100 venture, abut this is a lot more reasonable to get started. I'm sure it has a hole in the bottom for the headphones?

rayj
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Thank Jmarleau. My smartphone is supplied by my employer so I am careful what apps and data I put on the phone. Have to make sure it is legal and doesn't steal data from my phone.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode