Dunlop Roadsmart Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dunlop Roadsmart Tires

I have about 1,000 miles on my Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring tires now and they are holding up pretty good. They are definitely better than the stock tires when it comes to wear. After you go for a long ride you don't see as much fresh wear on the tires as the stock ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 AM

im expecting my rear to arrive monday. read good things about it. ill get the the front one in a few weeks.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Roadsmart tires

I bought my tires off the internet from Moto X Outlet and received them in 2 days. With shipping I paid about $250 for both the front and rear. I then paid $20 apiece to have them mounted and balanced at a local bike repair shop. I had to take the wheels of the bike and take them to the shop though for that price.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM

I like to change both tires at the same time because both have been through the same number of heat cycles/miles. The rears tend to wear out much sooner than the fronts. I wonder if it's a good idea to go with a sport front tire and touring rear tire.

I guess there are two concerns, the sport tire may take longer to warm up and it will probably not displace as much water.

Anybody ever do this?

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=hacktracker;4293]I like to change both tires at the same time because both have been through the same number of heat cycles/miles. /QUOTE]

Id love to do this also...but $$$ constraints prevent this right now. i dont think a 2-3 weeks will matter much, depening on how much i ride.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 AM

I got 15,000 out of my stock rear tire and it was just barely reaching the wear mark. Replaced it with RoadSmart Now at 19,000 miles plus, the front looks like I could get another 2000 out of it till it gets close to the wear mark. I already have the RoadSmart to replace it.

To me the stock tires did real well.

I use Ride-On in my tires that also help them stay balanced through the tire life.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 AM

I wanted to try the Roadsmart but necessity forced me onto a Conti Attack.
The stocker was dead at 5,000 miles and 300 miles from home. My fault, I have been pressing the bike and loaded it for vacation knowing the tire was marginal but hoping for the best. We ended up on top of a mountain calling for a tire. The local dealer said the Dunlops were on back order but the Continental was available and he runs them on his bikes. With just over 400 miles on it so far so good.

Loaded.

Not as heavy as it looks, mostly soft camping gear. We spent a week on the mountain.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Conti Attack

Thanks for posting them pictures. It's nice to see other riders bikes and where they've been. Where were the pictures take at?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Pilot Mountain State Park NC. Just south of Mount Airy, where Mayberry RFD lives today. I'll post a trip report later, after all the post vacation Honeydo's are mostly caught up.

Dan

$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 PM

DD,
That's quite a load!! Did you bring the kitchen sink?

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:39 AM

No, we have a large tent and some other creature comforts. Total weight of the load was less than 120lbs. Even with BOB (Big Ol Butt) on there it was still within safe load range. I just jacked up the rear coil two clicks. It was well balanced and the bike rode great up to 70mph on the highway. Had to be careful where I parked her.

Dan

$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Did you guys camp inside the park? I only live 30 miles from there and was thinking about a weekend trip up there.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Yes, it was very nice. Not sure how it fills up on the weekends but there were never more than six sites of forty-nine occupied all week. The shower/restrooms were clean and water faucets convenient to each site. Trash and recycle bins are scattered about.

Each site has a table, tent pad and fire pit.

$15 per night and a bundle of wood was $4. We only burnt a few sticks per night so it lasted all week.
They lock the campgrounds at 9 pm and open it at 8 am so no random hooligans running through.

A very nice place to stay.

Sorry for the hijack guys, I'll try and get together my own thread, y'all can hijack that.

Dan

$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode