Do you turn the key OR flip the kill switch - Kawasaki Versys Forum
View Poll Results: How do you shut your bike off?
Turn the key off 35 59.32%
Flip the kill switch, then turn the key off 24 40.68%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Do you turn the key OR flip the kill switch

When Shutting off your bike, do you:
A-Turn the key to the off position
OR
B- Hit the kill switch on the hand controls THEN turn the key off

I've ridden bikes most of my life and NEVER use the kill switch... EVER!
When I got my bike back from it's first service I got on and turned the key, hit the starter.........AND NOTHING
It took me a good minute to figure out that the service dept flipped the kill switch i was ALMOST ready to walk back into the service area and start yelling that they messed up my bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 AM
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Never use kill switch! Less battery draw!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I turn off my bike using the key 99.9% of the time. I've always done it that way since learning to ride some 30 years ago. I think if I used the kill switch, I'd forget to turn off the key.

The only time I use the kill switch is if I'm parking in gear on a steep enough hill where I don't want to let go of the brake to reach the key; and obviously have to keep the clutch in!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 AM

Garage
kickstand

none of the above .... mostly by the kickstand (for what ever reason!)

----
Eric
2018 Versys 650
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 AM

I have been told by more than a few people (including dealers) that using the kill switch is better for the bike. Something about the less wear and tear on the ignition. I am not sure why it would matter, but either way just as a habit I have always used the kill switch. That being said I would have to say it probably makes no difference.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochar View Post
So you put the kick stand down with it still in gear when you come to a stop? Never thought of that...I always shift it into neutral, turn the key to off, and then put the kickstand down when I am parking.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM

Key 98.6785% of the time. On some occasions, such as parking on an incline, I use the kill switch so I can keep both hands of the bars while I settle the bike into place.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
So you put the kick stand down with it still in gear when you come to a stop? Never thought of that...I always shift it into neutral, turn the key to off, and then put the kickstand down when I am parking.
In gear or neutral (depending on what I am doing) ..... always with the
clutch in (do I put down the kickstand) If your stopping the kickstands got to
go down anyway (so I get an added bonus of killing the engine)!

----
Eric
2018 Versys 650
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I turn off my bike using the key 99.9% of the time. I've always done it that way since learning to ride some 30 years ago. I think if I used the kill switch, I'd forget to turn off the key.

The only time I use the kill switch is if I'm parking in gear on a steep enough hill where I don't want to let go of the brake to reach the key; and obviously have to keep the clutch in!
+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:36 AM

When I restarted riding road bikes 15 years ago, I used the kill switch (at first), because I had been riding off road bikes before that, and that was what I was accustomed to. But I received a couple of lectures from fellow riders not to use the kill switch on a road bike for normal shutoff. Then I read the same thing a short while later (maybe in the manual?). So I converted to using the key. As I recall - the stated logic was the that the designed "service duty" of the kill switch was for occasion use only, where the key switch was designed for much more frequent use (more cycles per lifetime).
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Garage
A mechanic friend of mine told me to always use the key instead of the kill switch; so that's what I do.

Luck favors the prepared.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
1. kill switch (bike in gear)
2. deploy side stand and park
3. move ignition switch to "off" position

Also, always park on a flat or with front facing uphill.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 AM

On some bikes, the fuel pump and/or lights stay on if you flip the kill, but leave the key. I figure it's better to make habit of using the key.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
There is zero effort or time required to use the kill switch with your thumb and hands securely on the bars. I hit the kill switch automatically without conscious thought, to kill the engine when parking and immediately before hitting the starter button. I never leave the bike sitting with the key turned on though. I'm not advocating using the kill switch as a replacement for not turning the ignition off though, but instead using it as a supplement to this step.

I think it also saves time. Before you get on the bike, insert the key and turn to run, when parking kill engine with kill switch and then after dismounting remove key. You would probably find you need to touch the key twice on shut down and dismount if you do not use the kill switch. You also need to shift to neutral more often if you don't use the kill switch. If you use the kill switch and are in first gear, the parking brake is activated before you remove you hands from the bars. This is a minor thing normally but becomes critically important if you are parking on an upward slope like a sloped driveway. Try balancing the bike with your right foot on the brake, to keep it from rolling back, left hand on the clutch and bar and right hand digging for the ignition key. It's a lot easier just to hit the kill switch with both hands on the bars and both feet on the ground.

In my MSF course many years ago we were told to always use the kill switch this way. The justification given for this was twofold. It allows the rider to have both hands on the bars at all times when the engine is running, thus giving the rider complete control over the bike. Being able to balance the bike is a lot harder at a stop with lots of luggage or a passenger or on sloped ground, holding the clutch in with only one hand on the bars. The second reason they gave is that it conditions you to find and use the kill switch so you can find and use it in an instant so you won't have to consciously think about it in an emergency.

Just for fun, next time you are riding with a group, turn everyone's kill switch off while the bikes are parked. Then watch some people spend 5 min trying to figure out why their bike won't start.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-19-2014 at 10:01 AM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
I ALWAYS "kill the engine" by stopping in first gear, then putting the side-stand down which kills it. Then I turn the bars hard left and turn the ignition to "LOCK". That way my V is in 'park' so it won't roll, and the locked steering will (apparently...) reduce damages IF it falls or is pushed over.

ONLY exception is when I pull into my garage where I stop in neutral, turn it around, then put the rear stand under (so I can WD40 the chain or whatever).

Back when I hunted using an ATV (a CanAm), I got off and heard a 'click' which didn't register.... Later when I tried to start it, it turned over fine but wouldn't catch (NEVER thought of the 'kill switch' because the starter engaged...). I walked MILES back to camp, got my pick-up and trailer, returned, winched the quad onto the trailer, then drove about 150 miles to a dealer to leave the ATV for "repairs". I was just walking out when the mechanic caught me and said it was fixed. "How?" I asked.

"Turned the kill switch OFF..." he said.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-19-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Kill switch for me most of the time. I figure it will make it harder for a thief to start the bike with a screwdriver in the ignition as they may not notice it is off!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 PM

I use the kick-stand 99% of the times.
I check also that is working correctly..
I have both hands on the handle bar, I balance the bike on the right leg and put the kick-stand down.
I lean the bike on the kick-stand and turn the key off.

Versys 2015 Green
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
For me this is logical. Pull up in first gear. Clutch lever pulled in, front brake engaged, put right foot down and left foot puts down side stand. Now bike is secure prior to me removing a hand from the controls. Turn off bike after I get off so I can put the keys directly into my pocket.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 PM

As a safety instructor, we use the acronym F.I.N.E.C. before starting a bike. Fuel Petcock, Ignition Key, Neutral, Engine Cut-off Switch, Clutch.

We get asked a lot why do we use the kill switch. The answer I got years ago was, “Students should be in the ready position when they both start and stop a bike. For students, their ready position is left foot down, right foot on the peg with rear brake applied, left hand on bar, right hand on the bar. Without the thumb operated cut-off switch, this ready position is compromised when a student reaches for the key to stop the engine.”

Having said that, I just use the key. It's one more thing to go wrong.

Last edited by jmarleau; 05-19-2014 at 04:03 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM
djg

Key for me. I let a new rider fresh out of a msf class ride my bike. He used the kill switch, and it took me a minute to figure it out later when I got on to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode