The first thousand miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The first thousand miles

I'm a noob on this forum but have been reading all the threads here for several weeks. All the information here helped me decide that the Versys would be a good fit for me. After puting a thousand miles on the new bike I figured it was time to pay back, so to speak, buy reporting on my experiences so far.

Some base information. I bought my first bike in the 60's and have owned quite a few over the years so I have some riding experience. The last couple years I have been stretching out the trips to include some that have covered several days and several thousand miles. I love the roads in North Georgia and western North Carolina. Last bike was a KGT BMW. Nice but too heavy.
Bad back.

For me the Versys looks like the answer for a good lightweight touring bike.
I was concerned about how much vibration it would have. After a 1000 miles
I am amazed how smooth it is. A little buzz around 4700 rpm but quite smooth in the cruise range.

The brakes. I think they are very good. Read about some folks opting for steel lines but I am happy with the stock setup.

The foot pegs. They were getting into my legs a little when stopped so I took about a half inch off them and rounded them off. Problem solved.

Mirrors. Mine must have been installed correctly because they have been no problem at all.

The seat. So far so good. My ass has been conditioned by the KGT seat. I liked that one just fine but it took a couple thousand miles to get used to it.
Most people do not like the KGT seat. The shape of that seat is just about the same as the Versys.

Heat off the engine. When it is 90+ down here in SW Flatistan I get some heat off the engine but all I need to do is get my knees off the the tank a little bit, then it is fine. Hey its a bike, we're sittin right on the engine.

All together I am very happy with the bike so far. The rider position is perfect for my 5'9" and 30 inseam. Next week I'll make a three day trip to
Pensacola and back to see how it travels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0571.JPG (639.9 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0576.JPG (667.7 KB, 55 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Great write up! Glad your lovin the V. Got about 2700 miles on mine now, great bike!
Welcome aboard!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 PM

I got my 09 Versys in July 1, 2009 and now have over 4500+ miles on her...

What a nice bike... I still love it... No regret what so ever... Personally I have no complain what so ever... I own many bikes before... Versys is one of my favorite...

Most of my friend hates my bike, they are all into sportbikes... I don't really care what they think.. I love my bike and I pass most of them when we ride canyon..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 10-31-2009 at 09:06 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 PM

I got my 09 green in april the same weekend my daughter moved out, and now have 8500 miles on my V and I think I smile even more now than when I got it. except for the fact winter is around the corner. I envy you dwr302 I imagine you will be able to ride your V while I will be looking forward to warm days and melted snow.fortunitly I should still have a few more rides till the snow falls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode