@#$% Close call today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@#$% Close call today

It's amazing how much can run through one's mind while an accident is unfolding.

Running errands in the neighborhood, I was almost taken out by a young lady in an econobox as she turned left in front of me to enter (what else?) a shopping mall. There was a truck in the left lane that blocked her view of me, and I was already taking it easy because of that potential blind spot... good thing! Despite a lingering head cold, my mind and reactions were on enough to get on the binders hard... and of course, she stopped her car right in my path!

I over applied the rear brake, as the weight shift lightened the rearend, so the wheel started sliding, and then started a slow fishtail weave. I shifted weight to keep it upright as we crept closer and closer to the car, the now-wide-eyed lady trying to figure out what her next move would be. Thankfully, she finally decided to keep moving into the parking lot, just as my V came to a complete stop inches from what would have been the impact zone.

All this time, I'm thinking, "Dammit, move! Am I about to drop this thing? No! I'm gonna save it! Yes! Uh-oh, backend is coming around, lean a little... okay got it back, but she's not moving! MOOOOVE! Thank god, she got the message! Whew! Dammit you fool!"

So, my Versys is still just as pretty as when I first fired it up this morning (except for the small flat spot on the rear rubber), my body is intact and all is well. And in retrospect, I am so very glad I was wearing my safety gear just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Whew! Nothing like a close call to wake a man up!! Glad all is well....

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Safety gear, good thinking, good luck, good karma....I dont care....I'll take it anyway I can get it....Glad you got out of that one intact! Phew! :-)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:52 PM

Glad you are unscathed, and had the insight to see the potential hazzard with the truck in the left lane.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM

Glad your alright!! Hope I can keep as cool as head as you did when it happens to me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:40 PM

good reflexes! each time I have a close call I learn something new...I'm starting to get better at recognizing hazardous situations and how to avoid them. glad you're still in one piece!

JM
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:57 PM

I always stay away from cars... Either speed up or slow down, I hate riding with cars around me...

Make sure your high beam is on... Stay within speed limit, otherwise it's had to stop the bike when you need to...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Glad you are unscathed, and had the insight to see the potential hazzard with the truck in the left lane.
I'm going to give props to my MSF training that I had the presence of mind to consider it and keep from romping on the throttle at that moment. It was a pretty busy street, so I was already on full alert. In hindsight, I could have braked even harder, but I was really focused on steering the bike and didn't want to come close to locking up the front.

Now that I think of it, a properly working ABS would have been a distinct advantage in that situation. Retrofit to the '09?

Thanks for the well wishes from all.

Last edited by SoCalGreenie; 11-01-2009 at 12:28 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:38 AM

Glad you are OK!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGreenie View Post
I'm going to give props to my MSF training that I had the presence of mind to consider it and keep from romping on the throttle at that moment. It was a pretty busy street, so I was already on full alert. In hindsight, I could have braked even harder, but I was really focused on steering the bike and didn't want to come close to locking up the front.

Now that I think of it, a properly working ABS would have been a distinct advantage in that situation. Retrofit to the '09?

Thanks for the well wishes from all.
If an more expensive ABS version is available, i will be getting one... For situation like this... It's priceless...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 AM

Glad you made it out of that one! Keep your eyes open for the next cage that doesn't see you or even look for you!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Hi SoCalGreenie,

You're A-OK. Don't know if a loud horn would have helped you.
If not, fix a stebel or Wolo. Blast first and get the stares later.
Wearing safety gear whenever/whatever is also priceless....

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 AM

I did the same thing with my ZRX1200. Much heavier bike. Did a flat track slide 'til I was parallel six inches from her car. I ran the scene many times through my mind afterwards to see what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future. I'm sure you will do the same. Good learning experience, no? One thing I do is never cover the rear brake, rather keep my foot near it to add to the front. In a panic situation with the quickly changing weight distribution and suspension loading it is almost impossible to regulate rear brake properly. Racers have trouble with it. In retrospect I found that I should have and could have applied more front brake. I make it a habit on every ride to test the limit of my front brakes. When I hit a red light I apply the front as late as I dare to stop at the stop line. You get better and it's fun. When you need it it's more reflexive than active thought. If I even imagine a left turner is there all signals go off and I start my slowing. Afterwards when I told my riding buddies they asked me if I was pissed. I told them "are you kidding ? I should have wound up in a hospital with a wrecked bike" (or worse) . I learned something that day.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I did the same thing with my ZRX1200. Much heavier bike. Did a flat track slide 'til I was parallel six inches from her car. I ran the scene many times through my mind afterwards to see what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future. I'm sure you will do the same. Good learning experience, no? One thing I do is never cover the rear brake, rather keep my foot near it to add to the front. In a panic situation with the quickly changing weight distribution and suspension loading it is almost impossible to regulate rear brake properly. Racers have trouble with it. In retrospect I found that I should have and could have applied more front brake. I make it a habit on every ride to test the limit of my front brakes. When I hit a red light I apply the front as late as I dare to stop at the stop line. You get better and it's fun. When you need it it's more reflexive than active thought. If I even imagine a left turner is there all signals go off and I start my slowing. Afterwards when I told my riding buddies they asked me if I was pissed. I told them "are you kidding ? I should have wound up in a hospital with a wrecked bike" (or worse) . I learned something that day.
Right on blipco, good advice. I had the same post-incident thoughts, and now I'm determined to find a safe place to practice hard braking. I don't cover the rear, I think my old motocross reflexes saved me!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Thank you SoCal for telling your story, keeps the rest of us sharp.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Hi SoCalGreenie,

You're A-OK. Don't know if a loud horn would have helped you.
If not, fix a stebel or Wolo. Blast first and get the stares later.
Wearing safety gear whenever/whatever is also priceless....
Thanks stlee29. I did not even try for the horn, evasive action was my priority, but if I had more confidence that my horn would have made her move out of the way faster (instead of erupting into giggles over the mouse-like squeek of the stock horn), I may have had the presence of mind to use it!

The Stebel or something like it is already on my wish list.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Don't mention it.
Most important is all of us ride on in one piece to another day.

Safe Happy Riding, SoCalGreenie

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode