DL650 going to a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DL650 going to a Versys?

Ok I have a DL650 and I like the bike, I would really love the bike more if it felt like it had power. I do 2 up 4k mile camping trips on it and if I see dirt I'm all over it. Water never gets in my way and have had in as deep as 1.5 feet.

I have 25k on it in just 1.5 yrs and beat the **** out of it every day. I ride all yr long in NJ so cold rain and ice and snow is part of my ride to work sometimes..

Under 4k this bike is dead. It has lil to no power down low for the kind of riding I do, and that is from 6 miles to doing IB SS and BB's to 4 and 5 k trips with a 09 trip to AK and the lower 48...

So will a Versys make me happy or will I miss my DL650?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I tried my buddy's DL650 before I bought my Versys, and he tried a Versys before trading his DL650 on a BMW R1200RT... The Versys has incredible grunt from near idle to 5000 rpm, with more top end than the DL. It pulls strong up to rev limiter just before 11000 rpm. It weighs about 50 lbs less, is better balanced and more nimble. It can also be ridden harder in the rough without having the gas tank clunking in sharp bumps... I think the Versys would impress and make you much happier, as all of us here are.

Last edited by invader; 06-26-2008 at 11:02 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Personally for the type of riding you are doing, I wouldn't recommend the Versys. You do a lot more dirt riding than I believe the Versys is really made for. It's much more road oriented and doesn't have the weather protection of the strom.

Personally if you love the 650 Strom but want more power, I would say to go for the big Vstrom 1000. You'd be on a bike you love with much more power. I'd say any of the big adventure tourers would be a good move.

V-strom 1000, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW 1200GS or even a used Aprilia Capo Nord. I think any of these would satisfy your off road/water traversing camping adventures in a way I just don't feel the Versys will.

I know "Hooligan" had an adventure type bike and would do a lot of touring and now has a Versys. I'd definitely talk to him and get his personal opinion. Mine unfortunately (and the first time I've had to say this) is that I wouldn't think it fits in the scope of what your looking for.

Last edited by Enemy Zero; 06-25-2008 at 07:25 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 PM

2up not so good

My wife doesn't like 2up, course it is fine for me other than have to watch for pulling wheelies. It is a short wheel base at 55" or so.

Stock tires will not go far off road unless it is a fireroad or better.

But it is a great commuter and short range bike, plus would camp well 1up, which would leave room for camping gear.

I am going to a anakee if my rear oem will wear out.

The Buell xb12x has better suspension for offroad, but you still have to deal with the 17" wheels and also more weight, less gas mileage. Cost more also.

If you really like dirt, then maybe one of the thoroughbred, TE610 or 690 Enduro would do better.

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)

Last edited by versys_guy; 06-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM

They are both 650cc twins. One might have a little more low end and the other a little more top end.

If you like the wee-Strom, why not try the 1000cc version?

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Any bike will go off road, My 900lb Connie 2 up seen dirt. Not to happy but he got me in and out. As for the DL1000, I ride with 12 guys that have them and I'm alway up front and they all seem to not run right + I'm done with big bikes, more fun to go fast on a slower bike then to go slow on a big fast bike + do we really need 180hp??

I guess all I really need to know is that the Versys has more get up and go then my DL. I get to keep the DL, it's going to be my youngest first bike and will be used the same way I used it..
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:31 AM

I think if your looking for an "enduro" or a bike for any off road......it's not a Versys. But for anything else, I don't think you can buy a better bike.

I've never been a fan of "compromise" type bikes, but the V Strom 1000 sounds like what you need.

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM

I'm cheap, so I would keep the wee-Strom and maybe put a smaller front sprocket on it for a little more oomph.

Otherwise, I love my new Versys!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I only get 32 to 44 mpg with the wee as it is. On the freeway going 80 I move along ok thinking the wee ain't so bad then I look down and I'm running low on gas and shift into 6th cuz I forgot to 160 miles back but was liking the feel of a lil power or what feels like power cuz the wee just feel dead..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 PM

I would say the two are very, very close insofar as power goes. Maybe you could get an exhaust system and PowerCommander instead.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Wow the Versys must suck, seems most of you are talking me into keeping the DL. I get a new bike every 2 yrs like it or not.... I guess I'll keep looking!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 PM

The Versys doesn't suck, it's just that the type of riding you are describing doesn't seem to fit the type of bike it is. It's like you asking if it's good to use a pair of pliers to hammer 100 nails into a wall when you already have a hammer. It can be done, but you've got the right tool for your kind of job.

The Versys is an outstanding bike and I wouldn't trade it for any other out there, although I don't do the kind of riding you do. I use it to commute and travel on road. I used to have a BMW F650 GS and it was great for "adventure touring" but it didn't thrill me on the road. I ride on the road with the occasional dirt road. I don't traverse water and have no intent of climbing dirt hills or traveling hundreds of miles down dirt paths. The V-Strom is a great tool for this, the Versys (although an EXCELLENT bike), is not built for this kind of riding. It is way more street oriented.

In my opinion, you have the right tool for the job you want to do, you just want a more powerful one. Suzuki makes the exact same bike, with more power. That's all we are getting at. If you want a Versys, go for it. It's an absolutely wonderful bike, but If you're trying to do some crazy dirt adventure ride on it, I feel you may be disappointed and come back here complaining that we all suck and steered you horribly wrong.

I'd rather you have all the info. Go ride one and if you like it, buy it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Well said Zero!

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL650 to Versys View Post
Wow the Versys must suck, seems most of you are talking me into keeping the DL. I get a new bike every 2 yrs like it or not.... I guess I'll keep looking!
I think everyone here at versys forums are been very nice and honest with you. I can't say that with some other forums.

If you want more power... Go with bigger CCs...

I had ridden many bikes in the past... One of them happen to be 05 Vstrom 650! Very nice bike!

I am currently waiting for 09 versys to come to California... For me 650 is good enough to pass some of my slower buddies on sportbike... Bigger CCs will past them easier and faster...

Depend on what you want... Get what you want...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL650 to Versys View Post
Wow the Versys must suck, seems most of you are talking me into keeping the DL.
As EZ mentions above, you missed the point.

Gustavo
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
As EZ mentions above, you missed the point.

Gustavo
No I got it and have moved on and I'm looking at other bikes and not the Versys.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Interesting thread... first time I've seen someone get britches in a bit of a knot when a group has given honest, thoughtful answers in an effort to be helpful.

I appreciate the honesty myself, as I'm still on the fence looking at various bikes to possibly replace my old '91 Zephyr 750.

"Living the Dream... One Day at a Time"
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

How do you see this. All I said was I got the point, don't need 5 people to add you missed the point now do we. The Versys is not for me, I was hoping it would be a good fit but it's not. 33 yrs of riding Kaws I've always been happy. The past 2 yrs on the wee have been fun but the love is gone and I'm in need of a new bike.. I was just hoping I would be going back home to Kaw but I don't see it happening this time.. I may end up on a 800GS and really blow everyones mind.. Sad but no knots ;-)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 PM

I was also interested in the 800GS. I'm just more of a street rider than I am dirt. I got into supermoto and really like that the Versys tries to emulate that style.

If I was into adventure riding, there's no doubt in my mind I'd be on a BMW 800GS as I owned an F650GS before the Versys. Good luck to you with the purchase of the BMW. It's a beautiful bike and should do you great. No hard feelings here, I'd rather have people be fully informed instead of pushing hype on them. I wish the Versys could have done it for you but I don't think you'll regret the GS one bit.

Last edited by Enemy Zero; 07-01-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode