Question about battery wattage output? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question about battery wattage output?

Hi all. I just purchased a Powerlet RapidFire Heated Jacket Liner ( I live in Canada and its still freezing here) and was wondering about wattage output of the battery. The liner draws 105 watts from the connected battery harness with the ability to change it to a 60 watt draw. I'd prefer to stay with the 105 watt draw as I've also purchased glove liners that plug into the jacket liner that draw 14 watts each.

Does anyone know if the Versys battery will handle a 105 watt draw? Thanks to all in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post
Hi all. I just purchased a Powerlet RapidFire Heated Jacket Liner ( I live in Canada and its still freezing here) and was wondering about wattage output of the battery. The liner draws 105 watts from the connected battery harness with the ability to change it to a 60 watt draw. I'd prefer to stay with the 105 watt draw as I've also purchased glove liners that plug into the jacket liner that draw 14 watts each.

Does anyone know if the Versys battery will handle a 105 watt draw? Thanks to all in advance for any advice.
shouldn't be a problem. I use both heated jacket and gloves.
You still need heated gear now?

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes its cold here still. Taking a trip next Friday, they are calling for a high of 14 degrees C which means about 2-3 C in the morning when I depart.

I see you ride a 1000 Versys. How do you like it? Actually the trip I'm taking is to a Kawasaki demo event to test ride the 1000. Thinking of trading up my 650 to the 1000 next year.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
I've ridden w/ both my Tourmaster Synergy jacket-liner, and pants-liner, and haven't had any problems.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes its cold here still. Taking a trip next Friday, they are calling for a high of 14 degrees C which means about 2-3 C in the morning when I depart.

I see you ride a 1000 Versys. How do you like it? Actually the trip I'm taking is to a Kawasaki demo event to test ride the 1000. Thinking of trading up my 650 to the 1000 next year.
I love the 1000. I had an '11 Versys 650 for a year and a half before it and it was a great bike too.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 AM
djg

It's the charging system capacity you should look at, not the battery. The only info in my possession is my '09 owner's manual. It does not have any charging system specs. Someone here knows that info, or it is certainly in the service manual for your year bike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:00 PM

from the service manual

Alternator:
Type Three-phase AC
Rated Output 8 A/14 V @4 000 r/min (rpm)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, and may not apply to every country.

According to Watt’s Law :
Power = Volts multiplied by Current
P = V * I

14x 8 = 112 watts

lights and computer will draw about 75 watts I'd guess, so run higher rpm with any extra draw would be my advice....ie.8000 rpm would be 225 watts

I know my gerbings controller is a mini timer, only draws on and off in an adjustable cycle, depending on the heat setting
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:10 PM

I added a volt meter to stay aware of what was happening, when I started using Gerbing heated jacket and gloves. Never a problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery draw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode