I cant buy the bike I want- Honda Africa Twin - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I cant buy the bike I want- Honda Africa Twin

I have wanted the Africa Twin now for 8 years. It is a 750cc bike. Honda ony sells the bike in Europe. I liked my Vstom, I like my Versys. I hope with Kawaski and Suzuki doing so well with their adventure/sport bikes they will finally jump in on the market. They still make the Transalp, unsure if the Africa Twin is still in production. C,mon Honda the xr650l is an ok bike against the KLR *well not really- Loved my KLR*, but Honda doesn't have an answer for the vstrom or the Versys. I wonder what they are waiting on???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Take the Versys motor and put it in the KLR!

They Kawasaki will have something!

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM

I'd buy a Transalp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpsiguy View Post
I have wanted the Africa Twin now for 8 years. It is a 750cc bike. Honda ony sells the bike in Europe. I liked my Vstom, I like my Versys. I hope with Kawaski and Suzuki doing so well with their adventure/sport bikes they will finally jump in on the market. They still make the Transalp, unsure if the Africa Twin is still in production. C,mon Honda the xr650l is an ok bike against the KLR *well not really- Loved my KLR*, but Honda doesn't have an answer for the vstrom or the Versys. I wonder what they are waiting on???

After recently seeing some pictures of the (European) Transalp, I wrote Honda and told them I'd buy one the day they brought it over here.

I wrote Kawasaki a similar letter a few years ago, telling them if they brought the Versys over here, I'd buy one in a minute. They did, so I bought an '08.

HandKPhil

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 PM

The Africa Twin is out of production. Good specimens command a premium price in the second hand market, because it was one of the best and most desired DS Hondas ever made.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 PM

I think you need new glasses, ones that aren't quite as rose colored...

The AT hasn't been in production since 2003. It's an old tech bike (with few changes from 1993 on), it weighs the same as today's big Adventure Tourers but it doesn't have that much HP (rated at about 60HP). It did have a good setup for off-roading (right sized wheels, cradle frame, etc.), as long as the terrain wasn't too technical or soft, most of us would have been happy. Once you start getting into technical stuff, it's not a bike the casual dirt-road rider really wants to handle in that type of terrain. The spoked wheels are better at taking off-road punishment, but require use of tubes, which on long trips (or daily commute) are always a liability because they take much longer to patch on the side of the road.

The original Transalp was a cool bike. Lighter, yet still off-road focused. The new one is heavy, still underpowered and not as off-road focused as the original. If I had the choice between a V-Strom and a Transalp, I wouldn't even think twice about it, I'd pick the V-Strom every time. I understand that looking at it from here it's always tempting to try something that isn't sold in the US, and in the 90's we really didn't get many options. But 10 years later, I think we get most of the good options here in the US. Now, if Yamaha doesn't bring the new Super Ténéré the US/Canada, then you might have a good reason to long for a gray market bike.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Nah, you don't want that. It's old work, as mentioned, weighs a ton, and you can't get it, which helps you not having to find out about the first two problems mentioned.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handkphil View Post

I wrote Kawasaki a similar letter a few years ago, telling them if they brought the Versys over here, I'd buy one in a minute. They did, so I bought an '08.
No kidding! I wrote Kawasaki a letter when I read about the introduction of the Versys in Europe in 2006. Looks like we pressured them into bringing it stateside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 PM

That Transalp is a cool bike. seems to have a good following, and always demands high resale prices....

but still.... the Versys is just sexier.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM

http://singaporedream-rtw.blogspot.com/

Here is the blog of 2 Singaporeans......riding Honda Africa Twin doing round the world trip.

I think they should still be in USA. Maybe you can try persuading them to give up their Africa Twin :P
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM
FJS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I think you need new glasses, ones that aren't quite as rose colored...

The AT hasn't been in production since 2003. It's an old tech bike (with few changes from 1993 on), it weighs the same as today's big Adventure Tourers but it doesn't have that much HP (rated at about 60HP). It did have a good setup for off-roading (right sized wheels, cradle frame, etc.), as long as the terrain wasn't too technical or soft, most of us would have been happy. Once you start getting into technical stuff, it's not a bike the casual dirt-road rider really wants to handle in that type of terrain. The spoked wheels are better at taking off-road punishment, but require use of tubes, which on long trips (or daily commute) are always a liability because they take much longer to patch on the side of the road.

The original Transalp was a cool bike. Lighter, yet still off-road focused. The new one is heavy, still underpowered and not as off-road focused as the original. If I had the choice between a V-Strom and a Transalp, I wouldn't even think twice about it, I'd pick the V-Strom every time. I understand that looking at it from here it's always tempting to try something that isn't sold in the US, and in the 90's we really didn't get many options. But 10 years later, I think we get most of the good options here in the US. Now, if Yamaha doesn't bring the new Super Ténéré the US/Canada, then you might have a good reason to long for a gray market bike.

Gustavo
What makes you such an expert on this bike if it never made it to the US? Have you personally owned and or ridden one to make you such an expert on this model?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
What makes you such an expert on this bike if it never made it to the US? Have you personally owned and or ridden one to make you such an expert on this model?
I am by no means an AfricaTwin or Transalp expert, but I have ridden and owned them (I didn't always live in the US and I travel a lot). The AT was never imported to the US officially, but there are quite a few that made it here over the years. If you really want one, bikes come up for sale regularly across the country. The Transalp was imported to the US (late 80's early 90's) and it didn't sell that well then, so they stopped importing it. Again, you can find Transalps for sale in the US if you really want one. Since both are relatively rare, they usually command a good premium, which as I mentioned above, I am not sure is justified, but if people are willing to pay those prices, they must think they are...

Gustavo

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM

Sometime in the late '80s in Britain, I had an opportunity to ride one of the first DS V-twin Hondas. It wasn't called an Africa Twin at the time, and I remember the engine as being painted red. A dealer friend there had it on loan from Honda for a week so the press could play around and try to break it, but I got first crack. It was on the heavy side, but pulled like a tractor. I only was able to run it on the street, but I thought it was a great urban assault vehicle at the time.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:40 PM

The XRV750 Africa Twin is a nice bike, I'd say that underpowered is just a big pile of BS.
Of course one can't compare it to a 990 Adventure or a GS1200 but it sure has power enough to put on some fat powerslides at dangerously high speeds on dirt roads.
And then there's always a german company called Africa Queens which has some nice power upgrades for the XRV750 like this one http://www.africanqueens.de/html/marathon.html

/ Tommi
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
FJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I am by no means an AfricaTwin or Transalp expert, but I have ridden and owned them (I didn't always live in the US and I travel a lot). The AT was never imported to the US officially, but there are quite a few that made it here over the years. If you really want one, bikes come up for sale regularly across the country. The Transalp was imported to the US (late 80's early 90's) and it didn't sell that well then, so they stopped importing it. Again, you can find Transalps for sale in the US if you really want one. Since both are relatively rare, they usually command a good premium, which as I mentioned above, I am not sure is justified, but if people are willing to pay those prices, they must think they are...

Gustavo
So where do you hail from that you owned a EU Africa Twin since they weren't available everywhere and was lucky to own one?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM

There's always the Canadian Honda Veradero. Uses the same base 996cc V-twin motor as a '98-'05 Superhawk in an adventure touring frame, or a CBF1000 which uses a 998 inline four in a similar chassis. Both a little heavy (550/620 wet), but probably pretty fast. And then there's the problem of getting one through customs.

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 10-30-2009 at 06:38 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM

You seem to be skeptical that there are such bikes here in the US.

I go to Vintage Days in Lexington Oh every year and I always see a couple TransAlps, and at least one Africa Twin each time I go.

Hell here in Ohio I was passed on SR21 north of Massillon, OH by a pair of older TransAlps with Michigan license plates about a week ago.

So there are people that have them even though they were never sold here.

I was once told when TranAlps were sold in Canada, there was a dealer in Windsor that knew what paperwork to fill out for a sale for someone here.

Maloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
So where do you hail from that you owned a EU Africa Twin since they weren't available everywhere and was lucky to own one?

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey didn't mean to start a fight. ha Ya know I have owned alot of bikes...its just that I really like Honda's. I grew up riding on them and they were my first love of motorcycles.I always feel like I am cheatin on her *Honda* when I ride the Vstrom or the Versys...but if Honda wont "put out" I gotta ride something! Hey don't give me a hard time for comparing bikes to women....I know I am not the only one. Even named my last candy-apple green mistress "Veronica". One day I will find me a red,white and blue mint Africa Twin here in the states and ride off happy into the sunset.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 PM

I couldn't find and Africa Twins on Craig's list, but plenty of TransAlps.

Maloy

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1404290757.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1441853499.html

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/1426181005.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/1436740606.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/1436746926.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1413474613.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1442727304.html

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM

If I remember correctly, there was a guy on this forum with a TransAlp in the classifieds...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=TransAlp

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i could have found a Transalp, not looking for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode