Rain and the Radiator - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Rain and the Radiator

Question for everyone. It seems recently with all the rain we in the Seattle area are getting, an interesting thing is happening with my V.

Noticeably, whenever I come to a stop at a light or parking light, there are bellows of evaporated water coming up from under the cowl. I have checked it a number of times now, it is coming directly off the radiator. Whenever I park my bike, I also notice a good amount of warm water pouring out of the radiator front. I have checked all the fittings, hoses, and what not and there is no leak. This oddity has not happened before until recently when the rain season set in, and it only happens when it is raining or water is on the road. Additionally, my coolant reservoir slowly is becoming empty.

Is this something to be concerned over? Does anyone else have 'ole faithful steaming from underneath their cowl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM

It's normal since the radiator gets wash from the tire. It smells like burning plastic sometimes too. I've never paid attention to the water coming off the radiator, though but likely not a problem if the bike isn't overheating and the water is just normal rain water.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM

The radiator is HOT, the rain is COLD, this causes steam.....if it were coolant, it would smell sweet and there would be green fluid all around...plus it would happen all the time and not just when it rains.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Personally, I'd be MORE than a little concerned that the level in your overflow is diminishing. It's going SOMEWHERE...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Personally, I'd be MORE than a little concerned that the level in your overflow is diminishing. It's going SOMEWHERE...!

my opinion as well....curious am I The water that was coming out was not sharply green or have a distincitly swell, just warm and a bit sudsy (or bubbly).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM

I live in Los Angeles and just went through a heavy rain a couple of weeks ago...

Radiator is wet from the water that splash from the front tire. When you stop and put the bike on kick stand, water (rain) will start dripping from the radiator.

You should be paying attention on the disappearing coolant from the reservoir... Coolant can't just disappear...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM

Start worrying when the radiator drips during DRY weather. One of the first things I did was install a fender extension to keep water and stones out of the radiator. BTW, always check and fill the surge tank with the engine cold. It'll usually have more coolant in it when the engine is hot.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:59 PM

Mike - both are normal. The steam you see, as people explained above, is rain water evaporating after coming in contact with the hot radiator. The reservoir works in tandem with the radiator, when the pressure in the radiator gets higher (as in when the coolant gets very hot) some coolant is displaced into the reservoir as the pressure inside the radiator increases. When the coolant temperature and pressure goes down, some of the coolant is sucked back into the radiator. There always is an equilibrium point to this system, it varies with temperature and system pressure.

Assuming there is no leak in the system, as the outside temps decrease in winter, the "cold" temperature and pressure are lower than those of summer, therefore, there could be less coolant in the reservoir than you saw during hot summer days after the bike has cooled down. The radiator cap controls this flow. If you are getting abnormal flows (in either direction) it's possible that the cap is not working properly. Remove it and verify that it's clean, that there is no grit that could be causing malfunction of the pressure or vacuum valves.

Gustavo

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 PM

+2 on the fenda extenda, added one to my V and it makes alot of diff. I also took a marker and marked a line on the inside of the resorvoir so I can look down and see if the level is correct while standing on the bike level. I did this after I noticed a leak and had to add some, upper radiator clamp was loose. Makes it alot easier to check the level!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM

there are a # of bikes that will try and keep their coolant res tanks at the low or below low level. that's equilibrium for them...the triumph tiger i have is one of them....as long as the bottom is covered it's good and if you fill it up it'll be low very soon.
maybe the V is one of these?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 AM

Hi Hikewithmike,

The steam from the radiator is pretty normal when riding with a hot engine in the rain.

What's not right is losing the coolant.
Check if the coolant cap seal for the radiator and reservoir tank is good and is tightly on.

Maybe someone/shop could do an UV leak detecting method for the V cooling system. Something like http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...MTC-53351.html.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 AM

I am not sure of the cause of the water pouring out after you stop, but I had the same thing happen after riding in a downpour. I suspect that water gets in the airbox and then drains out. When you change the plugs you will notice a really deep reservour in the back of the airbox. (don't drop screws down there, they are a pain to get out) It is probably warm because it runs across the engine when it drains out.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM

First off you should do a pressure test, maybe you have a hairline crack. You should not lose any anti-freeze. If the test holds a few minutes check your oil, it doesn't just disappear. Goodluck
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
It is fine if you wash your bike than start it you will see the same thing. Personally I do not mind riding in the rain just be careful out there!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM

I also live in Seattle and hence ride in the rain often and I have also noticed the radiator fins fill up with rain water. There is a decent sized puddle under the bike everytime it comes in from a ride in the rain. I plan on adding a front fender extender to solve this issue and help protect it from throwing more harmfull objects up into the radiator.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garettn View Post
I also live in Seattle and hence ride in the rain often and I have also noticed the radiator fins fill up with rain water. There is a decent sized puddle under the bike everytime it comes in from a ride in the rain. I plan on adding a front fender extender to solve this issue and help protect it from throwing more harmfull objects up into the radiator.
I added one in January and it has kept water and grime off the Radiator, great and inexpensive purchase.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM

Reading all this makes me realize I should probably get a front fender extender also. Anyone have a source for a decently priced one?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Down here we get caught in rain most of the time and realy don,t see much of steaming of the radiator. Only when you park the V after a wet run, she will be pissing all over as there are place where water get traped-Back swing arm. Other then that if you overfill the surge tank then you might get some dripping . All this are normal, on your case best to get check at dealer.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 PM

here you go darealickt
twistedthrottle.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fendaext.jpg (45.8 KB, 106 views)

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darealickt View Post
Reading all this makes me realize I should probably get a front fender extender also. Anyone have a source for a decently priced one?
$34.63 (23.94) including shipping:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/053420-Pyramid...item5192dc4d50

$37.98 + shipping: http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

$42.00 + shipping: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trad...rint/4959/599/

$42.00 + shipping: http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....e=TTLPP-053420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode