Injury requiring surgery 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Injury Poll - Accident / Fall

Riding Accident / Fall Injury Poll
Assumption is everyone here still rides and results are Anonymous.

Also if you have never fallen, or fallen and gotten up without any pain what so ever
congratulations.

Last edited by Seeya; 05-13-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM

what is the question?

I'm no diplomat
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
what is the question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM

you also need all of the above as an answer.lol
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You left off.

Not going to doctor for 2 weeks after accident.No hospital.No surgery they wanted to replace the knee. Because your not a pus vote.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Let's see...

1. busted a small bone in my right hand - visited a doctor, got taped up;

2. SHATTERED my right ankle and right fibula - several nights in hospital and a 'surgical reduction' of said ankle (still have ONE pin in there!), and OFF work for a month and a half; and

3. "green limb" spiral-fracture of my LEFT fibula - visited a hospital/doctor, got a cast (SEVERAL over time, actually!) and OFF work for four months.

ALL these occurred while riding enduro bikes - 1. while trail-riding when a VERY big dog attacked me, and I used TOO much front brakes trying to avoid it!; 2. in my FIRST enduro, in the rain, on a Yam DT360 trying to ride over a downed tree across the route, bark missing, wet, slippery as HELL!; and 3. riding my Can-Am 400 Qualifier in the Rockies, west of Calgary, throttle PINNED in 3rd or 4th, going up a hill when my toe caught a berm and snapped my leg around left.

I KNOW, I KNOW - maybe I should LEARN to ride....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 PM

1970 - smacked into a truck in Thailand doing probably 40mph... Hotdogging it as a 22-year-old through heavy traffic at a five-way intersection. Lost about three or four pounds of left leg but no broken bones. Spent six weeks in hospital due to gaping wound and lots of funky stuff floating around in the rural thai town that could cause infection plus another couple of weeks non-aircrew duty. (Cheap helmet and no other protective gear.)
1971 - broken collar bone (snapped in two pieces) due to high speed crash (around 60+ mph) on a powdery dirt road where a significant ditch was obscured from view by another vehicle's dust. Night in hospital and six weeks of non-aircrew related duty. (Same cheap helmet and still no other protective gear.)
Since then I've managed to keep it together... No more wrecks or significant dumps for me over what must be a couple hundred thousand miles since those early days. I'm all about ATGATT nowadays.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 05-12-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 04:21 PM

When I was 12, I was racing another guy in the sand pits of Tucson, Ari.. He was on a Elsinore 250, and was much older and letting me win. Went to my head took a jump to far went off a 25 foot highwall, broke the left arm in 2 places.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
last dec. in mexico, riding a 750 gxer, didn't make a corner. my fault, the bike could have made it but i lost concentration for a sec and touched the rear brake mid corner. i went down fast and hit the pavement at about 60 mph and slid on my right side across the oncoming lane, into the dirt and bounced off a rock wall. i jumped up and pulled the bike up, checked it out, jumped on and hit the starter. it took a few secs to start and away i went. $800 damage, but it ran fine. when i got home and dimounted, i was limping. right ankle. hurt, but not too bad. 3 mos. later i finally went for an xray. hairline fracture. i 'm still limping. lesson i learned: i'm not sport bike material. i love my versys!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 PM

Gravel, corner, gravity. Broken ankle and fibula, broken shoulder. Three surgeries over four months, ten months of PT about $150K of insurance claims. Part of my PT was repairing the bike (about $350 in parts). Missed the entire riding season. First thing the wife said in the ED (after usual pleasantries) was that I had to fix the bike and ride it again. Only then could I decide if I was selling it or keeping it. I'm keeping both her and the bike.

I now ride past the crash site at the start of every season to remind myself to be careful.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 AM

rode into a minibus doing an illigal U-turn , hit him at about 20kph glansing blow and fell down with V on my foot , got up and tried to detain him but he raced away , foot was bright red and blue and 3 times the size in the afternoon , limped around for 2 months with a swolen foot and still rode Mountainbike , hate doctors and knew my foot was buggered so I didnt need to pay one to tell me . Foot is fine now after 5 months , time heals everything (well nearly everything) , Versys still has some battle scars
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Gravel, corner, gravity. Broken ankle and fibula, broken shoulder. Three surgeries over four months, ten months of PT about $150K of insurance claims. Part of my PT was repairing the bike (about $350 in parts). Missed the entire riding season. First thing the wife said in the ED (after usual pleasantries) was that I had to fix the bike and ride it again. Only then could I decide if I was selling it or keeping it. I'm keeping both her and the bike.

I now ride past the crash site at the start of every season to remind myself to be careful.
That one is great "I'm keeping both her and the bike".
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:19 AM

At 21, shattered right femur, broken pelvis, broken lower jaw and left shoulder. Also tore my uritha and had a catheder for months. T boned a small car at 65 mph when the driver ran a stop sign.
At 31, compound fracture on left femur and nicked artery. Smashed pinky finger that is now fused solid. Rear tire blew in a fast left hand corner sending me through two chain link fences and into a kids swing set.
Broken right foot this April 1st in my driveway. Front tire slid out when I used the front break, my fault for this one.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:03 AM

I have had a minor injury, grazes and no visit to the doctor and a trip to A&E for a swollen ankle that needed no treatment apart from staying off it for a few days.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Have come off twice, only real injuries were to my pride and the bike.

----------------------------------------
Victoria, Australia
Versys 650 (KLE-650) 2012
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Not counting dropping dirt bikes that didn't result in injury.

1982 - Sideswiped a pickup truck when front tire blew and I crossed the yellow line. If it would have happened seconds earlier I might not be writing this. Bike slide down the side of the truck causing $1000 in damage. I did not receive a scratch and only dropped the bike after coming to a complete stop because the handlebar snapped in two.

1987 - Sitting at a stop sign and a right turning jeep was going to fast to make the turn. Plowed into the side of the bike. Saw it coming and almost got my left leg out of the way. Caught me at the foot and I bounced off the front of the jeep and landed in the ditch. Soft tissue damage to the foot. Cast for 3 weeks and light duty work for several more weeks.

2013 - Bucked off my dual sport and level 3 tear on my AC joint, bruised ribs. Laid up for 3 days in the lazyboy. 3 months of physical therapy and I will be reminded every day.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4b View Post
At 21, shattered right femur, broken pelvis, broken lower jaw and left shoulder. Also tore my uritha and had a catheder for months. T boned a small car at 65 mph when the driver ran a stop sign.
At 31, compound fracture on left femur and nicked artery. Smashed pinky finger that is now fused solid. Rear tire blew in a fast left hand corner sending me through two chain link fences and into a kids swing set.
Broken right foot this April 1st in my driveway. Front tire slid out when I used the front break, my fault for this one.
Wow! Hats off for you for still riding
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Been a long time ago but I broke my arm on a Yamaha DT-125. I have learned to act "All Grown Up" and think before I act. Besides pain HURTS me and I didn't like it at all!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Where is "all of the above?"

I have been racing motocross for 35 years...I am pretty sure Evil Knieval had nothing on me.

As far as street riding...over 30 years of experience and closing in on 500,000 miles and I have been down once. About 25 years ago I ran over a flat as a piece of paper (literally) Prestone coolant jug (I went back and looked) in the middle of a corner and washed the front end out before I could blink...going about 20-25 mph. Road-rashed my palm a bit (wasn't wearing gloves ), but picked up the bike (a Honda FT 500 Ascot) and rode home...the bike had some minor rashes as well.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Reading the newer posts helped my memory. In addition to the OTHER breaks...

...broke rib(s) riding dirt on my farm when my Can Am washed out on ice under the grass, and again when my '08 V and I low-sided on AZ 366 going up Mt Graham a few years back.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode