Questions about the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Questions about the Versys

Hello! I have recently become interested in the Versys. With the recent news of Buell, my dream of buying a new XT in the next year or so has gone out the window. I currently ride a Buell CityX. Before it, I had a Buell Firebolt 12R, and before that, I had a Yamaha FZ6. I miss the upright position of the FZ6, but love the torque of a Vtwin. My current problem with the CityX is, well, im 6 foot tall, and its kinda small. My legs start to hurt pretty bad after a 100 or so miles, and the windblast is harsh for anything over 55 mph. So, on with the questions!

Anybody ever ridden a Buell CityX? If so, how does the power difference feel? How does the power of the Versys feel overall? I have sit on one at the dealership and it is definitely more comfortable, more along the lines of the FZ6 I had, only a little bit more comfy. How is the wind protection with some after market windscreens? Whats the service intervals like? How are the vibrations?

I'm really looking at getting a bike that is good for long distance touring, and also good for short rides around town to do some errands. I also like to carve up some twisties once in awhile. I feel the Versys would be a good fit for all of this, but want a little insight on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Dude, Buells are being sold at $5,000 below MSRP right now. This is a HD incentive along with low HD financing.

1125s are even more discounted, have seen 1125s out the door for less than $5,000 total.

If you ever even thought about a XT now is the time to pull that trigger. HD finance will get one in your garage with nothing down.

The Versys is much like the ULY only a couple of hundred pounds lighter with a better turning radius for slow speed manuvering.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

I've never ridden a Buell but I can tell you the Versys is an all around enjoyable bike to ride! Lots of power and not a lot of maintenance. I would recommend trying to find someone in your area who has a Versys and see if a test ride would be possible.
Anybody else from TN who could help this new member?
Welcome aboard Randomchaos!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Im not in the market for a new bike at the moment. Still owe 3 grand on my current Buell, and trade-in is in the ****ter to say right now. Should level back out in a year or two though. The XT is going for 8-9k still, and right now I'm not really able to afford it. A year or so down the road though, I should be able to, but there wont be any new bikes. I want a new bike, not a used one, due to the fact of how badly a bike can be treated by a previous owner, and not really be able to tell. The Versys has really interested me though with its do it all kinda feel. Once the 2010s hit the floors, I'm gonna see about test riding one at my local dealer. Was just wanting a little insight into the bike before hand though
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM

I don't think it will let you down. Does well in the twisties as well as getting around town for errands. Taking mine on it's maiden out of state journey next year. Can't wait, already got maps laid all over. Good luck on your choice!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 AM

I agree with Mark. I see that you are not ready right now, but I suspect there will be bikes available for a while. A friend of mine just got a brand new Uly for $5K (no sales taxes in OR). It's quite the deal if you like the bike.

OTOH, I have ridden a Uly and it wasn't the bike for me, I much prefer the Versys. Vibrations are nonexistent compared to the Uly (and I assume the CityX is no different). Power is not the same, both in the rev range you run the bike and overall, but if you learn to work in the right rev range, the Versys is not slow. The only noticeable differences may come if you ride two-up (and/or loaded with luggage) where the larger engine provides better passing power without having to work the gearbox.

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode