Oil filter too tight? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil filter too tight?

What's the rule of thumb for tightening the oil filter. I usually tighten it as much as I can by hand then get the the oil filter wrench and do about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Yesterday I think I may have over tightened, when finishing my oil change and letting the bike warm up for a run it developed a drip. I shut it down and backed of a bit on the filter and that solved the drip.

Lovin every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 AM

The main rule of thumb is never use a wrench to tighten one. They generally have the instruction printed on the filter. Generally it's tighten it until the gasket touches and than another fraction of a turn depending on the manufacturer.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 AM

What of the filter I can grip, I tighten it as much as I can by hand and leave it at that.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 AM

On most of the filters I see (Purolator) it says contact plus 3/4 turn. Can't quite make that by hand. I have never had a problem just getting them hand tight.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Service manual on section 2-49 states that hand tightening of filter can not be allowed because the require toque of 13 ft. lbs. can not be reached.

I just hand tighten on my automobiles but us a toque wrench on my motorcycles if the manufacture specifies it. I had a Suzuki C-50 that also required to toque on a filter, they would sometimes loosen up if only hand tightened. Engine vibration and other factors such on the thread pitch used on the filter mount vary on motorcycles. I have never had a leak or a problem getting the filter off on my Versys by torqueing to 13 ft. lbs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilohsam View Post
Service manual on section 2-49 states that hand tightening of filter can not be allowed because the require toque of 13 ft. lbs. can not be reached....
ONLY time I torqued my V filter was while I was having the oil-leak problem on the '08 (problem was something else), and I was DUMBFOUNDED to see how many turns 13 #/' did!!! The REST of the times I just turn it to "touch", then add the 3/4 of a turn the filter says to add.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 PM

I hand tighten. I can generally get the 3/4 by hand or very close to it. I also watch it, especially if the oil change was done by a "professional".

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Ill just hand tighten as much as I can next time and then monitor it.

It's all good now.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I learned my lesson on too tight oil filters back in the '70s. Had a car with not a lot of clearance underneath. I spent most of a day trying to remove oil filter, lying on my back in gravel. I ended up driving a screwdriver and then a tire iron through it before finally getting it off.

I couldn't afford to pay for an oil change back then, I did it myself. Today I let the garage handle vehicles, but nobody touches my motorcycles except me.
I use the contact plus 3/4 turn method, although I'm not too anal about it. If contact plus 1/2 turn feels right, that is fine too. Never had a filter leak.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I used to hand-tighten, then give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a wrench, reasoning that I couldn't get it as hand tight as a guy. Now, I use a torque wrench and follow the specs in the service manual.

Only had one overtightened once. It didn't leak, but I had to punch a screwdriver through it to get it off (only had a strap wrench at the time).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 PM

Changed oil and filter today. Replaced the OEM filter with a Bikemaster brand filter. I researched filters a while back a got a real good price on a 3 pack of the Bikemaster for the Versys. I believe it is a will built solid filter , not cardboard internal supports like one well known brand.
The Bikemaster filter has printed on it to tighten 2-2.4 kg/m (14-17 ft.lbs) OR rotate 7/8 turn after gasket makes contact. I made a paint mark on the filter at the point that the gasket made firm but light contact to see what kind of torque equaled 7/8 of a turn with this filter. It took 12+ ft. lbs to rotate the filter the 7/8 of an turn. Very close to the factory spec.
So hand tighten the 7/8 turn or use the torque wrench for all practical purposes were about the same. The advantage of the torque wrench for me? It is difficult for me to rotate that little filter in that small area by hand the full 7/8 turn. I might add only my smaller torque wrench that works well in the lower ranges was sensitive enough to let me know when I had reached the 12- 13 ft. lb. stage. My larger torque wrench would have caused me to over tighten ,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode