Ride 'em Hard and Put 'em Away Wet - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride 'em Hard and Put 'em Away Wet

Attached is a photo of my bike as it sits right now. This is not how I normally treat my bikes but this is what it is today.

I left Memphis yesterday morning after several morning showers. It rained for about an hour as I passed through Nashville. I stayed last night just north of Louisville. Then this morning, it was more of the same, only more rain. By the time I reached my destination, I was a bit wet. Maybe I should say I was a little bit dry?

Anyway, the bike is doing great on the trip. I have traveled over 5200 miles since I left and anxious to keep going. Although at the moment some of my things are still drying out.

Cheers
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.0 KB, 166 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM

I got drenched last night on the KLR. It was rainin' so hard folks were goin' 40 mph with their flashers on. Went to bike night and was the only bike there. Who was it who said KLR riders didn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I remember being in a BMW shop one Saturday morning and it was raining pretty hard, all morning. While I was talking with a salesman we noticed a fellow on a GS ride up. The salesman just looked at me and said BMW riders are a hardy bunch.

The one fuel stop I made today, I followed a rider on a Duc up to the adjacent pump. I think he felt comforted knowing he wasn't the only one out today. He left during a downpour. I had some coffee and a snack, then headed out. The rain had eased by then.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 PM
MTS

Fair weather rider here when possible.

Got caught the other day. And then small hail! LOL Straight home!

Also known as a wimp!

Lucky I was CCW! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Yep going from Texas to South Carolina Got a hundred miles from my house in TX. Then the sky opened up. Spent the night in Meridan MS. rained all night. Got going and about 100 miles from my home in SC the rain stops. So did 900 miles out of 1130 in a downpour. Wasn't bad I just hate wet socks....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 PM

I don't mind riding in the rain BUT you can have the Hail. Rode about 250 in a light rain on the KLR (lack of good sense) to get a burger with a old friend. In the summer a light rain's is the best A/C a hot rider can ask for! In cool weather it can be nasty.

After I got home I saw were a couple of riders went down in the rain, not hit just crashed. Guess they were riding a bit to fast or hard for conditions.

BTW in that kind of rain riding you are doing keep a close eye on your chain and lube it a couple of times a day. I use Chain Wax for wet rides as it seem to last longer. BUT regular oil is better than W/D 40 in these conditions.

And Good Luck on the rest of your ride.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I hit a gully washer, torrential downpour south of Birmingham, AL yesterday. Cars all slowed down to a crawl. The Shinko Ravens performed flawlessly. The Olympia Phantom leaked at the vents.

I see Richard that you are a right turn while parking rider. I have a friend who does that. His bike is always the odd man out when parked in a line of bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Two wheel, yeah, I guess I am an odd man. I don't fit in, in many situations, but I don't know if I habitually turn the wheel that way. It may depend on the day of the week for me.

Richard
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The best bike for rain riding that I've had is the Concours 1. It had such good weather protection that I only got wet when I stopped. As long as I kept moving, the rain passed over and around me while the mirrors kept rain off my hands.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
The best bike for rain riding that I've had is the Concours 1. It had such good weather protection that I only got wet when I stopped. As long as I kept moving, the rain passed over and around me while the mirrors kept rain off my hands.
If I know I am going to be riding in the rain, I ride the Concours. I run the Pilot Roads on it and now have the PR4s since they are considered one of the best rain tires. If you set the screen to a certain height, it will channel the wind to blow the rain off the faceshield so you don't have to turn you head or wipe with your glove..

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Fair weather rider here when possible.

Got caught the other day. And then small hail! LOL Straight home!

Also known as a wimp!

Lucky I was CCW! LOL
That's hilarious MTS!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
For anyone interested, here's an article about Canadian 'gun control':

http://www.pressfortruth.ca/pft-glob...oks-promising/

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode