Trailer Pulling V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trailer Pulling V

ok, these pics were taken when I 1st did it, I have cleaned up the wiring and such.....I will take pictures another time when I m hooked up.
The hitch points for the Hitch are the bolt points for the Trelis and I also made the rack, so from it I bolt on and off the under frame of the rack, the hitch consists of 3 pcs, easier to attach, takes 5-10 mins to put on and off.
The trailer is a plastic work box I got at Tractor Supply, the frame is simple angle iron, welded to an axle,, box is bolted to that frame and now have a 100# trailer....gone grocery shopping a few times, looking forward to a road trip with it.
pulls fine, especially if you have a passenger, I think the hitch is a little high, I might move it lower...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3142.JPG (210.4 KB, 1280 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3143.JPG (170.0 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3144.JPG (166.0 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3145.JPG (161.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3146.JPG (122.9 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3147.JPG (171.3 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3148.JPG (181.9 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3149.JPG (200.7 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3150.JPG (207.1 KB, 326 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

That looks great! Talk about handy!

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
FJS

I asked for the pics and there we have them. Interesting idea and work you did on it. How long have you used the trailer? The reason I ask is because that rear subframe was not designed to take that additional load, even if it is the lightest little trailer I have seen, still, it's 100lbs. on that sub.

Might want to check on it periodically as you might develop stress cracks on it from all the additional forces you have applied to it. That could lead to failure and you riding the rear wheel

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I have used it a few times, I ride the bike nearly daily....pulling the trailer is on ocassion.
The tongue weight is virtually a few pounds, any stress will be from hard braking or accelleration...the weight of the bike is like 450pounds, so I do have common sense to take it easy when using the trailer.
I have been a welder by trade for 30 yrs, if anyone should know about stress on metal it better be myself, thanks for the pointers.
Be careful and ride safe.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM

Wow! So it has now been done! Been looking around for ideas etc. as I would love to have a tiny trailer to pull behind for carrying my Trombones to and from jobs etc. Gotta do some more research on this! Maybe a job for over the winter.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 AM

Very cool! Nice work. How you ridden it at freeway speeds? Just curious if it sways at speed. For people that are worried about stress on the frame you could try something like this. http://www.trailtail.com/main.html

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Rub

Certainly more expensive, but I'm a fan of single wheel trailers like this one made with sport bikes in mind:

http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 AM

Nice work, although i think the axle would have been a better place to mount due to the center of gravity but looking forward to an update on the highway at speed.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Certainly more expensive, but I'm a fan of single wheel trailers like this one made with sport bikes in mind:

These Third Wheel trailers are really cool, but they are pretty expensive at $2,000, and no where on their website do they list the cubic capacity. The main trailer is called a "CP550", so I guess that it could be 55 liters. If that's the case, then you are looking at a cost of $36/liter.

By comparison, you could set your Versys up with a set of Givi E36NJ side boxes + an E45NJ top box with racks for $728. That's twice the carrying capacity at one- sixth the price at $6/liter.

Last edited by E-nigma; 10-26-2009 at 09:24 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM

I owned a onewheel trailer called freebird bought it after i sold my bike with sidecar (used to carry around alot of crap). Restoring the trailer took a while as there where now original parts when it whas finished i just bought the versys. I didn't think it whas whise to hook it up behind the versys to much stress on the cluche and engine i thought so i'm back to basics looking forward to read more on your experiances with your trailer
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post

Commercially built trailers are cool but WAY WAY overpriced. There are several companies making tiny little trailers to pull behind a motorbike that cost more than a 20 foot RV. Thatís nothing short of pure craziness. If you are handy at all you can build a small enclosed trailer for about $400.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
These Third Wheel trailers are really cool, but they are pretty expensive at $2,000, and no where on their website do they list the cubic capacity. The main trailer is called a "CP550", so I guess that it could be 55 liters. If that's the case, then you are looking at a cost of $36/liter.

By comparison, you could set your Versys up with a set of Givi E36NJ side boxes + an E45NJ top box with racks for $728. That's twice the carrying capacity at one- sixth the price at $6/liter.
Just by looking at it, it's gotta be bigger than 55 liters. I've got an 85 liter backpack and that thing's bigger than a backpack. And, for the record, you wouldn't catch me dragging a trailer behind my bike in a million years. It's a motorcycle for gawd's sake.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:06 PM

I envy you guys that can build stuff like that. It looks really nice. I'm sure Speedy's wheels are turning to make some sort of hitch like what you have there. Keep us posted.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
These Third Wheel trailers are really cool, but they are pretty expensive at $2,000, and no where on their website do they list the cubic capacity.
I emailed them and asked that very question a few months ago. The size is 150 litres.

Dave
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM

A 2000 dollar trailer?
For that price I can have my whole campsite helicoptered in to me.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Gold wing trailers w/ matching paint run upwards of 4K
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Gold wing trailers w/ matching paint run upwards of 4K
and I'm assuming a "Ferrari" trailer is even more...
but still a ripoff.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Guess I'll have to keep on working on the design for mine and figure out a hitch as well. Tried talking to several motorcycle hitch manufacturers, but they have not had any call for the Versys yet. Going to try using a Thule Ski container as the basis for the container. Will hold two trombones plus most camping gear. Working on an aluminum frame idea with small spoked wheels off of some kid's dirt bikes.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
I'm trying to envision what happens when a bike towing a trailer has an accident.

I would think that even a mild lay-down would create alignment issues with the bike's frame, sub-frame or swingarm.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM

bikes with trailers

I just don't get it. Motorcycles with trailers or Trikes. I can understand saddlebags. If I want the feel of the wind in my face, but need to carry that much stuff, I think I would just get a convertable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode