Bike-to-Bike Radio - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Bike-to-Bike Radio

Hello all - I wanted to start a thread to discuss bike-to-bike radio and just mention what I"ve started.

I was looking around at intercomm and other interfaces for the bike and found a few good solutions:
  • Baer Communications - looks a little more sophisticated than the chatterboxes (and more pricey), I considered this but thought it was a little expensive for my needs http://www.baehrusa.com/

I went with the MotoComm MC-555 because I already own two Cobra radios that I use primarily for hunting. I _really_ don't want to deal with cell phone calls on the bike.

I just received two units today and installed them in my and my wife's helmets (she rides her own) and tested it around the house. It works well in the house - I have yet to test it on the road. This setup relies on a push-to-talk button, but the radio also has a vox setting, so I'll be tinkering with it a bit to see what works best.

I'm curious as to what others are using/considering. I'll post an update once we get out and test the MotoComm setup.

Happy Riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM

My cousin and I have used Chatterboxes on several occasions. They work well even with ear plugs in.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 PM

My wife and I use BlueAnt, on seperate bikes, works a long ways, but best when she is like 100 yards or less. Nice controls and easy charging.

Yep, forgot to add that it will hookup to your GPS and allow listening to mp3 music, plus the phone if you want. It is mono.

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)

Last edited by versys_guy; 06-25-2008 at 08:56 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM

I also use the blueant Interphone and communicating bike to bike works well, cell phone reception is good and managed to hook it up to my GPS also. The best is it's bluetooth so no wires and batteries last a long time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at the bluant.

My wife and I tested our setup last night - it works great in terms of distance and volume, there's very little in the way of road noise and speech is clear. On the downside, there's a loud pop when the transmitter is released. I think this is probably due to the radio itself, because it does the same thing when you're talking with it without the headset.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Don't understand transmitter is released?? Once the two are paired you just talk, no buttons or anything to push, it is hot to talk.

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

On the motocomm setup, there is a push-to-talk button that you use to transmit. When the button is released and the transmission ends, there is a loud "pop".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM

J&M 2003CB with a Zumo with XM sat R/W/T with a RD and cell.. The J&M does rider/Pass with a 40ch CB and it never comes off the bike and you would have to take the bike to take it.. Mine is 4 yrs old and is on it's 3rd bike and getting ready to hop to a new bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode