Initial Thoughts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Initial Thoughts

Bought the Versys last Monday. Managed to ride it to work Friday, a short test yesterday, and today I took her out for a proper test; Highways, Country Roads, gravel, a tad bit of off road, and home. Roughly 150 miles.

My Thoughts:
Fun Bike. Wheelies are easy in first; If you run to redline and shift you get wheel hop in the first four.

Comfort: Very good. Rode without any stops and never got butt burn or cramped. Previous owner was my size (6'1" / 185) and set the bike up well

Suspension: Front is very good, rear is stiff. Handled great, but I took a beating on the county roads.

Off Road: Geared a little high. Not so much going up, but descending required more brakes than I'd like (especially in the mud/wet grass I was descending in).

Road: Little high for super confident cornering, but light and very flickable. Stable under acceleration in turns, no frame flex.

Sucked up rough road real well, front seemed iffy in wet off road. Very versatile bike, definitely more road oriented.

Low end torque is surprising, and as long as you are active in the gearbox, highways and country roads are great. Tight twisties will be a blast as you should be able to keep in in one gear and use the engine to control your pace.

This is a Niche bike. The KLR/F650GS/DR etc. would be better as a short distance tourer with frequent off road riding, and she is a little small and buzzy for cross country. Very fun exploration/adventure bike, and a good commuter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 PM

ive always felt the bike would make a great long distance tourer with a few changes ..after coming off an r1150rt bmw i can say without a doubt its just as capable to do the lond rides as my rt was ....enjoy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM

I felt the same way. Good luck-welcome aboard.My only comfort issue was the seat otherwise by far the best bang for the buck

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Nice looking bike. I love the colour!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

This seat has been modded to sit farther back and flatter. Still needs some height in the front (as is common knowledge here), but other than that, seems solid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode