Beware of trailers in the dark! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Beware of trailers in the dark!

So I decide to ride to work this morning. The weather is a little iffy, but should be fine. I leave the house and it is a nice cool morning...feels really good. Pull out of the neighborhood and go to make my first left at the light. I slowed down to wait for oncoming traffic and then started to turn left as the Ford F150 passed through the intersection...OH SH*T...he is pulling a trailer!

I locked up the front brakes and went down on the left side in the middle of the intersection. There was no traffic behind him, so that wasn't a problem. A guy stopped at the red light got out to help me. I made sure I was OK and took off. As I started down the street I noticed that I couldn't downshift very well, so I turned around and rode home. After a quick survey it looks like I just scratched the new engine guards and hand guards. I didn't see any other cosmetic damage, but the shifter is bent a little bit and hitting the linkage (easy fix).

ATGATT...I scratched up my shield (another one), but couldn't find anything but minor scrapes on my riding suit. My knee is bruised and ankle is tweaked a little bit. No broken skin or road rash! WEAR YOUR GEAR! AND WATCH OUT FOR TRAILERS IN THE DARK!!! I didn't see the light coming around the tail lights until I was almost on top of it.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to brokenhat
Glad you're alright, lucky you didn't give it a bit more juice!

Matt
2012 Versys, Vario ws, Barkbuster Storms, lowering blocks, flatfoot, Zumo GPS, Givi soft side bags, Axio tail bag, Wolfman Express tank bag
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Glad you are OK, and thanks for sharing your experience. Will definitely be watching for those now.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Glad to hear you are OK. ATGATT!

I hate intersections.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM

Glad you and the V are alright! Those trailers can be a pain!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Really dangerous

I've had some close calls with trailers at night. Our local law enforcement doesn't pay much attention to them. Many don't have lights and though it's required, no tag. The worst offenders seem to be the landscapers with the big utility trailers loaded with lawn and garden equipment. I've met several at night with the nearly invisible trailer hanging a good two feet over the yellow line. I make it a habit to ride slightly to the right of of the center of my lane and it's probably saved me a few times.
Glad you're OK - gotta love that ATFGATFT!

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 PM

Just hauled both bikes on my trailer, I had it rewired for new lights, reflective Semi Rig Tape in many places ( red/white ). I really want it to be seen day and night and hope I did a good job. If you have a tip for me to make my trailer safer for everybody, I really would like to hear it.

Also glad nothing major happend to you,

Ride Safe

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 PM

Intersections are by far the most dangerous place in traveling. My UPS driver training taught me that at an intersection stop, wait a few extra seconds after a light change. Let traffic fully clear the intersection. Also this lets ars holes the want to beat the light get through. Give yourself extra time at intersections.

Good to know you're ok, and came away from your spill with little damage. Your riding gear I'm sure helped minimized the damage. I never ride without a helmet or armor jacket.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM

I own a motorcycle hauling trailer, a small sailboat trailer, and a 5'x8' utility trailer. I store them outside, beside my garage, year round. Each winter I have had rodents chew off the insulation from the wires, and shorting out the trailer lights on my trailers.

Does anyone know a good (cheap) source for some kind of sheathing to enclose the lighting wires on my trailers?

Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I own a motorcycle hauling trailer, a small sailboat trailer, and a 5'x8' utility trailer. I store them outside, beside my garage, year round. Each winter I have had rodents chew off the insulation from the wires, and shorting out the trailer lights on my trailers.

Does anyone know a good (cheap) source for some kind of sheathing to enclose the lighting wires on my trailers?

Thanks
Not sure about the price, but go to Lowes or home depot and look at the electrical section. They have wiring in a flexible metal tubing ( Don't know what it's called) Or if you have a Harbor Freight, they are pretty fair in prices.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
Good to know you're ok, and came away from your spill with little damage. Your riding gear I'm sure helped minimized the damage. I never ride without a helmet or armor jacket.
I never ride without gear. My minimum is helmet, armored jacket, gloves, riding boots and kevlar jeans. I usually wear armored overpants, instead of the kevlar jeans. The only damage I could find to my gear was a small scuff on the knee of the overpants and a scratched up visor...sure am glad I had on a full face helmet.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Not sure about the price, but go to Lowes or home depot and look at the electrical section. They have wiring in a flexible metal tubing ( Don't know what it's called) Or if you have a Harbor Freight, they are pretty fair in prices.
Ahhh! Romex!

One problem... Romex will rust when exposed to water and air.

Good thought though.

Hmmmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode